Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Anyone know anything about this rear camera for E89 Z4?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
johnbirt

Anyone know anything about this rear camera for E89 Z4?

Post by johnbirt » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:55 pm

Anyone know anything about this rear camera for the E89?

http://www.carcommunications.co.uk/oem- ... on-systems

When I looked many months back there was nothing about. They aren't too far from me so I might see if I can get to see a demo.

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Anyone know anything about this rear camera for E89 Z4?

Post by dr_john » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:03 am

Looks cool but £450 is a bit OTT for what you get.
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

KERMIT1970

Post by KERMIT1970 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:18 am

We have the rear camera in our 640,it`s good but using the mirrors is cheaper lol
Cars: 2016 M4 vert YMB & X3m Comp. E30 325i Sport. Z3M

Gone
: 2014 z4 35is melbourne red & black leather
: 335d M sport Coupe Black with red leather
: z4 Coupe 3.0 si Red with Black Leather 18" CSL`s
: z3 2.2 sport

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:49 pm

KERMIT1970 wrote:We have the rear camera in our 640,it`s good but using the mirrors is cheaper lol
Plus the 640 is like reversing a boat in comparison to the Z'd. You've not got much behind you, what 2 and a half feet, three at most? It's not difficult to gauge how far you've got when reversing.
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

Zed Five

Post by Zed Five » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:00 pm

Plus, it cannot be fitted by the 'boot grab handle' (it's not a 3 series), so it will be by the number plate. i.e. you will see very little anyway. :?
Why is it that people who can't take advice always insist on giving it? 

E89 35is | BMW S1000rr Motorsport Ed.

Visionist

Post by Visionist » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:43 pm

Looks like a nice piece of kit to me; although expensive, if it gives you guidelines for reversing (especially if they move when you turn the wheel) then it'll be useful for avoiding tricky kerbs which will ruin your day and possibly cost you more than 450 bob to put right, not to mention idiots strolling out behind you (plenty of those here). It's true that the Z has a short tail, but roof up, in the rain, and especially at night if it has a Low Light function, it'll prove an invaluable asset, as long as you don't rely on it completely and use it as a "fourth mirror", so to speak, still checking your blind spots with the MK-1 Eyeball. All obvious stuff, but a lot of us tend to neglect driving school 101 when relying on technology...

Does this gadget also accept a front camera johnbirt?
2011 35i "Il Cammello" - Orion Metallic / Pure White Design - Almost Fully Loaded

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:26 am

Visionist wrote:Looks like a nice piece of kit to me; although expensive, if it gives you guidelines for reversing (especially if they move when you turn the wheel) then it'll be useful for avoiding tricky kerbs which will ruin your day and possibly cost you more than 450 bob to put right, not to mention idiots strolling out behind you (plenty of those here). It's true that the Z has a short tail, but roof up, in the rain, and especially at night if it has a Low Light function, it'll prove an invaluable asset, as long as you don't rely on it completely and use it as a "fourth mirror", so to speak, still checking your blind spots with the MK-1 Eyeball. All obvious stuff, but a lot of us tend to neglect driving school 101 when relying on technology...

Does this gadget also accept a front camera johnbirt?
Sorry, you don't actually own one so how can you advise as to what it's like reversing with the roof up and in the rain and at night?

I don't think anyone on here has any issues reversing their car be it during the day or at night. With regards to kerbs, if not confident you can dip the mirror or if you have memory seats it had this function automatically when the car is put into reverse.

I have to reverse my car between three walls and a car and usually in a very low lit area and the one thing I've never thought I've needed is a camera. I would rather use my mirrors, checking either side instead of looking at a screen.
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

Visionist

Post by Visionist » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:13 pm

Angie4m wrote:
Visionist wrote:
Sorry, you don't actually own one so how can you advise as to what it's like reversing with the roof up and in the rain and at night?
No need to apologise :wink: I live in Naples and the traffic here is enough to make most drivers break down long before their car does, and that's despite the car-killing nature of our "roads" (alleys and nothing more) which were last repaved about 1632 or similar. I've gotten used to driving a small run-about in the UK where most other drivers and pedestrians have at least a small lick of sense. They have none here. This will be the second car I've ever owned. As a result I see little harm enquiring as to the ins and outs of the money-pit I'm about to jump head-first into.

TL;DR I'm lazy and I like gadgets :fuelfire:
2011 35i "Il Cammello" - Orion Metallic / Pure White Design - Almost Fully Loaded