Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Binned the run-flats

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
bigdavey

Binned the run-flats

Post by bigdavey » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:27 pm

Life just gets better and better!

After the agro regarding my cracked alloy (see thread E89 problems), on Saturday I noticed a screw in near the sidewall of one of the rears. Of course, on a trip to my local tyre shop, it couldn't be fixed. Didn't have one in stock, so I took the decision, that was going to wait until the summer, of ditching the RFT's. Little choice of stock, so had to have Avon ZZ5 all round.
I have to say what a difference it had made to the ride quality. It is still firm, but the smashing and crashing over even the tiniest bump has gone. It could almost be called smooth! Loads quieter too.
As regards the handling, well still tweaking with the pressures a little. Currently trying 32F 36R compared to 38/45 with the rft's. I think the rears will be fine at that pressure, but might have to up the fronts a pound or two. Yes the front is a little less sharp on turn in but I reckon pressure tweaking will sort it.
A good move? Damn right. I wish I had done it earlier. The only downside, with the new alloy I had to get, is a bill the best part of a grand. All this money on my last BMW
Dave
Z4 35i DCT

sniffer

Re: Binned the run-flats

Post by sniffer » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:32 pm

Good for you.

I had an E92 335i Coupe which was a strong and stiff car with a roof. It banged and crashes all over the road with run flats.

Best thing I ever did was taking it off them. Not only the banging and crashing went away, the car handled much better, especially on bad road surfaces or when the outside temperature was less than 6 degrees, when the runflats would break away quite suddenly.