Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Feeling shafted....

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Feeling shafted....

Post by ronk » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:52 pm

I had asked if the car was fully serviced !

I think 12 weeks remaining before a service doesn't constitute fully serviced. Indeed it was my local dealer who pointed out the little time remaining.
They said that they would have serviced properly pre delivery had I bought it from them.

It took the shine off the purchase a bit- I got a good result tho . :thumbsup:
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Z4midable

Post by Z4midable » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:03 pm

I thought it right to finish what I started and conclude on this
After I emailed the dealership where I bought the car with my frustrations as to having this large bill so soon, their initial response was that BMW guidelines for AUC vehicles, is that if any work is required within 3000 miles OR 6 months, that this must be taken care of.
They then proceeded to provide the key fob reading from when they took the car in, highlighting the fact that I 'had clearly exceeded the 3000 miles required'.. however, the key reader they provided clearly stated that that the service items (Brake Fluid, Engine Oil, Air Filter Element, Spark Plugs and Microfilter) were due to expire in 10.2014 and since I bought the car end of April, this was within 6 months.
Once I pointed out that since it stated these Items were due within 6 months of me purchasing the car, which they knew about and were not disclosed to me (despite me enquiring about next due service, told 2016), then I feel like they were hidden from me with the safe bet that I would exceed the 3000 miles in these 6 months to make them liable (must be a small majority who do 6000 a year? I travel 5 miles to work and still exceed this) then they offered me a 30% contribution.
I said I would be happy to settle with a 50/50 contribution which they immediately agreed too.
I realise, by their sudden willingness to co-operate, that I maybe could have pushed harder (go to DP etc) and maybe got them to cover the whole cost, but I told myself I would have been happy with a contribution from the outset, I realise that the Brakes that need doing are not a service item and I should have been more on the ball when buying the car, so happy to draw a line under it, compromise and get the car in the shop.
Thank you for all the replies and advise, lessons definitely learnt!

sniffer

Post by sniffer » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:28 pm

Z4midable wrote:I thought it right to finish what I started and conclude on this
After I emailed the dealership where I bought the car with my frustrations as to having this large bill so soon, their initial response was that BMW guidelines for AUC vehicles, is that if any work is required within 3000 miles OR 6 months, that this must be taken care of.
They then proceeded to provide the key fob reading from when they took the car in, highlighting the fact that I 'had clearly exceeded the 3000 miles required'.. however, the key reader they provided clearly stated that that the service items (Brake Fluid, Engine Oil, Air Filter Element, Spark Plugs and Microfilter) were due to expire in 10.2014 and since I bought the car end of April, this was within 6 months.
Once I pointed out that since it stated these Items were due within 6 months of me purchasing the car, which they knew about and were not disclosed to me (despite me enquiring about next due service, told 2016), then I feel like they were hidden from me with the safe bet that I would exceed the 3000 miles in these 6 months to make them liable (must be a small majority who do 6000 a year? I travel 5 miles to work and still exceed this) then they offered me a 30% contribution.
I said I would be happy to settle with a 50/50 contribution which they immediately agreed too.
I realise, by their sudden willingness to co-operate, that I maybe could have pushed harder (go to DP etc) and maybe got them to cover the whole cost, but I told myself I would have been happy with a contribution from the outset, I realise that the Brakes that need doing are not a service item and I should have been more on the ball when buying the car, so happy to draw a line under it, compromise and get the car in the shop.
Thank you for all the replies and advise, lessons definitely learnt!
Well done. Pleased that you are happy and I think you have been pretty reasonable accepting the 50/50. Like you say, if you had pushed you would have probably got the lot but this would perhaps be a little unfair.

Thanks for coming back and updating the thread. :driving:

Twin Turbo

Post by Twin Turbo » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:23 pm

Please that life lesion is learned, and you are happy with the outcome :D

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:16 pm

:thumbsup:

Talksthetorque

Post by Talksthetorque » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:26 pm

That's a result, it's the one you are happy with, and probably the one the dealer was hoping for - to cover their costs but not get the profit after their ommission/error/thingy.
Plus if you ever need them again you're now a reasonable sort of chap in their eyes,so assistance/favours/a bit of help with something - they are more likely to avail themselves to you.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:38 pm

I'm thinking I did very well :thumbsup:
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: