Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Removing the DCT Gear Level/Selector - 2012 35is

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Jezzaaa

Removing the DCT Gear Level/Selector - 2012 35is

Post by Jezzaaa » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:57 pm

Hi all,

I'm just going through the motions of gathering together all the bits I need to install an amplifier to improve the base sound system installed in my car. I've gone for the (now discontinued) Blaupunkt THA 475 PNP because it means I don't have to mess with or cut any wires at all... and have, after many months of searching, managed to acquire the correct PNP loom kit to fit the E89.

So I've removed the radio facia and undone the screws that hold the radio in...then to discover that I can't remove the head unit because the DCT shifter is in the way! :cry:

It's not immediately obvious how the shifter can be loosened, and it's such an important part of the car, that I really didn't want to attack it without knowing what the correct procedure is.

So...I was wondering if anyone on here knows how you remove the shifter so i can get the head unit out?

Thanks,
J.

Jezzaaa

Re: Removing the DCT Gear Level/Selector - 2012 35is

Post by Jezzaaa » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:02 pm

Think I may have found the answer :

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=783697

"Pretty simple...
Pull up the DCT shifter, gently though so not to break the cable connector.
Once up, there is 4 clips 2 front and 2 rear for the shifter trim+leather. Take these out and you will see the shifter connector. Try not to unplug it, cause it will register an error in the ECU and the dealer would know, unless you delete the error later on using an ICOM or any other coding method/cables...

Good luck!"

I'll give it a go and report back! Worrying...just pull upwards???! ;)

Jezzaaa

Re: Removing the DCT Gear Level/Selector - 2012 35is

Post by Jezzaaa » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:15 pm

Jezzaaa wrote:Think I may have found the answer :

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=783697

"Pretty simple...
Pull up the DCT shifter, gently though so not to break the cable connector.
Once up, there is 4 clips 2 front and 2 rear for the shifter trim+leather. Take these out and you will see the shifter connector. Try not to unplug it, cause it will register an error in the ECU and the dealer would know, unless you delete the error later on using an ICOM or any other coding method/cables...

Good luck!"

I'll give it a go and report back! Worrying...just pull upwards???! ;)

Yep it's correct! It just clicks up and out :D All sorted now.