Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Would you buy a brand new Z4 if you had the chance?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Would you buy a brand new Z4 if you had the chance?

Post by TitanTim » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:03 pm

ronk wrote:
TitanTim wrote: -----except for superior handling over the E89.

You are attempting to compare two different specs of cars !

From memory, wasn't your last z4 standard non M sport suspension whilst your m135 has the all singing all dancing adjustable.
Not a fair comparison.
Nope I had the M Sport Spec on the Zed but non adaptive suspension which I have on the 1er along with non runflats so a slight difference.

Reason I mentioned handling was I'd had the Zed around 2 months when it went in for the engine whine and I had a F20 118d Sport (Non M Sport) as a loaner. As soon as went off and around a few bends I thought how much sharper it felt to the point when I was back in the Zed it felt slightly dissapointing, couldn't put my finger on it, maybe its the weight of the car or the runflats on the Zed.

Tim.

SO8

Post by SO8 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:16 pm

The Z4 feels heavy but does IMO handle. My old Z4M R after an S2000 felt like a barge but when you took it by the throat and chucked it about it really did handle quite well. I have the same view of the E89 - it seems softer and heavy but the only time (in my brief 3 months ownership) I gave it a little bit of free reign it really surprised me how it handled. The M135i is like a go cart in comparison and far easier to 'use' but the Z4 does seem very able - but the feel of it just cruising is easier ... if you know what I mean !
Current : BMW M240i Convertible in black and a Smart Fortwo diesel in white :)
Previous : BMW 35iS in Mineral White and an Mercedes AMG A45 in black

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:29 pm

TitanTim wrote:
Nope I had the M Sport Spec on the Zed but non adaptive suspension which I have on the 1er along with non runflats so a slight difference.

Reason I mentioned handling was I'd had the Zed around 2 months when it went in for the engine whine and I had a F20 118d Sport (Non M Sport) as a loaner. As soon as went off and around a few bends I thought how much sharper it felt to the point when I was back in the Zed it felt slightly dissapointing, couldn't put my finger on it, maybe its the weight of the car or the runflats on the Zed.
Sorry, my mistake!

I should say tho, that to get near the raggy edge of handling of these cars you have to be going some and a bit more!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Havard

Post by Havard » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:58 pm

SO8 wrote:The Z4 feels heavy but does IMO handle. My old Z4M R after an S2000 felt like a barge but when you took it by the throat and chucked it about it really did handle quite well. I have the same view of the E89 - it seems softer and heavy but the only time (in my brief 3 months ownership) I gave it a little bit of free reign it really surprised me how it handled. The M135i is like a go cart in comparison and far easier to 'use' but the Z4 does seem very able - but the feel of it just cruising is easier ... if you know what I mean !
We are really looking for a car that if refined, cruises well but will hold it's own around the corners. Run flats will go straight away and I hoped that adaptive suspension (on a new car) would help us with our choice of ride and conditions.

Considering that we will pushing her a relatively small amount of time, the ride on long runs is also a consideration.

H.
ImageImage

jimbo1958
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jimbo1958 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:22 pm

Havard wrote:[
We are really looking for a car that if refined, cruises well but will hold it's own around the corners. Run flats will go straight away and I hoped that adaptive suspension (on a new car) would help us with our choice of ride and conditions.

Considering that we will pushing her a relatively small amount of time, the ride on long runs is also a consideration.

H.
Changed my Runflats to Michelin Pilot Super Sports the week I got the car.
Even the short time I ran it on runflats, the handling and ride on my 19's with the Michelins is a massive difference.
The tyres soaks up the road undulations so much better and makes for a much comfier ride. Hoping the risk of cracks to my 326 wheels should lessen.
Haven't had some fun on the tyres yet coz they're not scrubbed in yet. :D
Z4 e85 3.0 - GONE
Z4 e89 35i - GONE
Jaguar F Type V6s Roadster :driving:
Abarth 695 Rivale :driving:

Garvin

Post by Garvin » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:39 pm

Z4M-2006 wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I take it you have lost a lot of money on your car ? :D
Not a mere 'lot', absolute bucket loads over the years. The latest Z4 (list price £54k) is my 43rd new car and there have been a quite a few second hand cars as well! What's the point of money if you can't enjoy it?
Considering Ordered Received 35is - Melbourne Red / Ivory White with lots of bells & whistles. Deep Sea Blue replacement 35is now also departed. Replaced by something more brash, more powerful and American!

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:55 pm

I'm only pulling your leg..

I wish I was in the same position, never had a new car and probably never will..

Money is too tight and hard to earn for me..plus my missus doesn't work ..
Still managed to clear the mortgage and haven't owned a quid to anyone since I was 37 so not a all grim up north

Havard

Post by Havard » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:13 pm

Garvin wrote:

Not a mere 'lot', absolute bucket loads over the years. The latest Z4 (list price £54k) is my 43rd new car and there have been a quite a few second hand cars as well! What's the point of money if you can't enjoy it?
As I mentioned in a previous post, I think anyone who is into cars, loses money but there is a price on enjoyment and ownership. Minimising the loss has always been a skill of mine but sometimes you need to take a bigger plunge if you find something rare that you really want.

I too have not owed anyone anything for a long time and have built up some decent savings. If I can find the right second hand car then I will go for it. If we haven't found what we want by Christmas, I will take the plunge and get a new one. Should arrive in time to be on a 15 plate too. :driving:

H.
ImageImage

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:47 pm

Garvin wrote:---- What's the point of money if you can't enjoy it?
:thumbsup: well said fella!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Garvin

Post by Garvin » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:29 pm

Havard wrote:
Garvin wrote:

As I mentioned in a previous post, I think anyone who is into cars, loses money but there is a price on enjoyment and ownership. Minimising the loss has always been a skill of mine but sometimes you need to take a bigger plunge if you find something rare that you really want.

I too have not owed anyone anything for a long time and have built up some decent savings. If I can find the right second hand car then I will go for it. If we haven't found what we want by Christmas, I will take the plunge and get a new one. Should arrive in time to be on a 15 plate too. :driving:

H.
Mind you, the market price on the last second hand car I bought two years ago has increased by about £7k 8)
Considering Ordered Received 35is - Melbourne Red / Ivory White with lots of bells & whistles. Deep Sea Blue replacement 35is now also departed. Replaced by something more brash, more powerful and American!

Havard

Post by Havard » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:07 pm

What car was that?
ImageImage

Garvin

Post by Garvin » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:24 pm

Havard wrote:What car was that?
Was, and still is, this:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:59 pm

Garvin wrote:
Havard wrote:What car was that?
Was, and still is, this:

They sound nice at full chat. :thumbsup:

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:43 am

I love the 355..

One of the best all round ferrari's ever built..

We had a run of repairing a few about 8 yrs ago ..servicing, Timing belts, clutches and we had one with a very naughty misfire..

At one point they dropped to around £25k but like you say they have bounced and are on the up..

original guvnor
Lifer
Lifer

Post by original guvnor » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:56 am

Havard wrote:
RoyE wrote:In answer to the question in the thread. Yes I would and indeed I have. So far, I do not regret the decision. Hopefully I won't in the future.
How much has the experience of a new car cost you in reality.

I really have a soft spot for these cars but I think I am better off getting a second hand one. As was mentioned earlier, when the new model comes out (possibly 2016 as BMW tend to work in 7 year cycles), the second hand values will plummet further.

Can't see a PCP being any better value than new car and depreciation. Need to find a car that is towards the bottom of it's depreciation curve ideally.

H.
It looks like there isn't going to be a new Z4 model. The current one is about to enter its 6th year on sale and there has been no media reports/spy photos of a replacement AT ALL! Very unusual if there was a successor in the pipeline. The original
E85 first went on sale in 2003 and was replaced in 2009 but we'd seen photos of disguised replacements at least 12 months beforehand.

So there basically isn't going to be a new Z4. Factor in many things into your new v used argument but don't bother including worries over a newer model coming out.