Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Would you buy a brand new Z4 if you had the chance?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Havard

Would you buy a brand new Z4 if you had the chance?

Post by Havard » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:42 am

Hi,

Been looking in the classifieds on Pistonheads, Autotrader, Ebay and on here. I am a bit of a perfectionist and have been looking for the ideal Z4.

I want ideally a 35i, must be manual, sub 30K miles have black leather seats, 19's and adaptive suspension ideally, plus a couple of other add ons. Finding one with this spec is almost impossible as the BMW options list was so varied.

Been speaking to Broadspeed and I can get a brand new 64 plate for just over £32K. I will probably keep the car for 3 - 4 years and will look at making some mods once the warranty has run out. Question is, how much will I lose, considering there is a massive discount on these cars off the list price at the moment. The thought of having a warranty is very appealing and I will only do around 3K miles per year as this will be a weekend car only.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

H.
ImageImage

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Would you buy a brand new Z4 if you had the chance?

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:50 am

How much is a 4yr 3.5i with the kinda spec you want ?

I would suggest that you may lose around 15k over that period..

Havard

Post by Havard » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:55 am

Z4M-2006 wrote:How much is a 4yr 3.5i with the kinda spec you want ?

I would suggest that you may lose around 15k over that period..
Prices seem all over the place and there are very few 35i manuals available second hand. Low mileage ones are about £20 - 22K throught the BMW approved network.
ImageImage

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:58 am

That maybe your answer then,although im sure i have seen them as low as £16k..... Is that feasible?

What would additionally worry me is that the E89 is getting long in production run,i would have thought whilst you had it there will be a new model,and as we know that will drop the previous models price point.

sniffer

Post by sniffer » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:06 pm

Personally, I would only consider buying a new car if I had 3 or 4 times what I was to spend on the car and no debt anywhere, including a mortgage.

I am a bit different to most however and save up to buy everything outright and see debt as a mugs game.

IMO, the car would trade around £15K after 3 years. BMW are having to discount them very aggressively to maintain any reasonable volume over the last 6 months or so.

This does not bode at all well for residuals IMO so only take the plunge if you are comfortable coping with at least £400/month depreciation for 3 years.

gov

Post by gov » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:36 pm

Personal choice - if you're not bothered about losing £15k over 3 years then go for it - most people these days seems to lease etc so don't shell out £32k in one go - they still lose just as much but it's all hidden in the "deal" - it's the same with buying any new car - the more expensive the more you lose - it's the price you pay for that new shiny car.

I could afford a new car but I wouldn't for several reasons :

- My OCD wouldn't allow me to relax and enjoy it.

- losing £5k a year would hurt too much - I can think of many other things I would rather spend this money on.

However if my lottery numbers come up it would be a whole new ball game :D

Havard

Post by Havard » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:46 pm

Thanks for the comments.

If we are talking losing over £3K a year then that will probably change my mind. I have no debt of note but the thought of losing that kind of money is madness in my book. I am like Sniffer and will save up before i spend and get nothing but a house with financial assistance.

I will just have to keep trawling the classifieds and see if the perfect car comes up. The warranty was appealing but I can't see any fault costing £12-15K in that time.

I assume that if I bought a second hand model privately, I could take it to BMW for a check before purchase?

H.
ImageImage

Dav the wheel nut
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Dav the wheel nut » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:11 pm

Keep it for 10 years and you will lose a lot less than 3k a year.

Havard

Post by Havard » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:19 pm

Dav the wheel nut wrote:Keep it for 10 years and you will lose a lot less than 3k a year.
Too many cars to own and not enough life left to keep a car for 10 years.

It looks as if going for a new one IS a waste of money so I will keep looking second hand. Probably a good thing as spending £32K on a car is getting close to second hand 997 territory and then we are in trouble.

H.
ImageImage

SO8

Post by SO8 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:37 pm

I looked at the pricing for a new 35iS a couple of weeks ago - it was likely to work out about £50 a month dearer on a 4 year PCP than the 1 year old one I put a deposit on ...

I liked the idea of a new one but not the 6 month wait for it !! Now, that may be a 35iS as opposed to a 35i but beware of the time you may wait !

That said I am still waiting for my 'newer' 35iS to replace my 'old' one as the original dealer still hasn't paid me the money yet to buy the new one :(
Current : BMW M240i Convertible in black and a Smart Fortwo diesel in white :)
Previous : BMW 35iS in Mineral White and an Mercedes AMG A45 in black

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:19 pm

If you're worrying about losing money as you will on any new car or one a few years old then buy a worthless banger or a push bike.

I always buy new if I can usually on a PCP and change every few years, sure you lose money but then those that baulk at losing money on a new car no doubt throw their money away at other worthless ventures :)

Go for new or as new as you can and enjoy the car for what it is, lifes too short.

Tim.

Garvin

Post by Garvin » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:39 pm

What is it about cars that generates the loathing about 'losing' money on them and therefore huge compromise on something they use a lot of the time! Do people not go on holiday as they can't sell it on afterwards? Do they not buy clothes as they eventually wear out and they 'lose' money on them. Do they not visit the cinema, theatre, restaurants, have a few beers down the pub as it's all lost money?

The vast majority of the money people have is spent on things that they can't sell on yet apparently it's a big deal on a car, something that can be enjoyed immensely every day of the week. Illogical or what?
Considering Ordered Received 35is - Melbourne Red / Ivory White with lots of bells & whistles. Deep Sea Blue replacement 35is now also departed. Replaced by something more brash, more powerful and American!

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:41 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I take it you have lost a lot of money on your car ? :D

lux
Lifer
Lifer

Post by lux » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:49 pm

sniffer wrote: I am a bit different to most however and save up to buy everything outright and see debt as a mugs game.
I think you'll find saving is a mugs game these days! :P
981 Cayman Agate Grey

sniffer

Post by sniffer » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:08 pm

lux wrote:
sniffer wrote: I am a bit different to most however and save up to buy everything outright and see debt as a mugs game.
I think you'll find saving is a mugs game these days! :P
Stay away from the red ones and keep on popping those blue pills.