Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

inner headlights

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Tonybz

Re: inner headlights

Post by Tonybz » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:19 pm

Are Lci headlamps interchangeable with the earlier E89s?

Visionist

Re: inner headlights

Post by Visionist » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:51 pm

Yes, they are, but there are various differing reports as to the ease of the process. Some say the newer lights are plug-&-play, but those reports generally neglect to mention the various modules which need fitting at the same time (same types of module as the older lights, just updated AFAIK), I think the Xenon control unit for automatic height levelling, Adaptive light control unit to turn the lights in corners, automatic High-Beam Assist module etc, as well as the integral ballasts and the resistor unit for the newer, bright white LEDs. A firmware update is necessary I'm pretty sure, and there's the issue of whether your old lights had all the bells and whistles VS the ones you fit, and of whether you get LHD or RHD ones.

It's perfectly doable though, and definitely an upgrade- how the lights should always have looked really. I'd like the US spec ones with the orange LED sidelights as well.

A shame the inner light is still a dummy. BMW should have stuck an all LED, fanless low speed cornering light/foglight in there. The inner unit even features a housing for a bulb...
2011 35i "Il Cammello" - Orion Metallic / Pure White Design - Almost Fully Loaded