Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Outdated Handbrake

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Avallon

Outdated Handbrake

Post by Avallon » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:32 pm

In the off chance - I always need to manually unlock the handbrake before setting off. Haven't had to do that in any other electronic handbrake car - is it normal behaviour?

bluespit

Re: Outdated Handbrake

Post by bluespit » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:11 pm

do you mean you have to push the electronic parking brake switch down?, it most probably is a 2.0 like mine without auto hold. big fuss on here a couple of years ago about it.

:)
now I'm about to have more time I've suddenly got less toys to play with!

Avallon

Post by Avallon » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:15 pm

I do and yes I have a 2.0 (28i) - 64 plate. Would have thought they would have updated it so it auto releases. My 2010 A4 auto released...

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:47 am

What Bluespit is talking about is not auto release but 'hill start assist'. Everyone who engages the electronic hand/parking brake has to manually release it before driving off. The 3.0l variants have 'hill start assist' which will hold the car for a few seconds but it is not an auto release handbrake.

I have no issues with manually removing the parking brake, if I've engaged it for a reason then I want it to hold until I want it off. I'm sure if it's something you've used to in another vehicle but I don't believe that auto release is that common a feature of many manufactures.
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Grumpyowl » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:51 am

My Lowly Citroen DD has Auto release :evil:

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Post by dr_john » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:56 am

I don't find pushing the little switch down a particularly arduous task.
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

New2Zed

Post by New2Zed » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:16 pm

Automatic handbrakes as well as hill-start are quite common nowadays and personally, I can't see the point of electric handbrake operation unless some form of automation is incorporated.

I would swap my electric handbrake for cruise control any day.
2014 Z4 2.0. (driven by her in doors cos she thinks she looks pretty in it).
Range Rover Evoque (toss up between one of these and an X4)
Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglia

xpar1

Post by xpar1 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:37 pm

I had an electronic handbrake in my Insignia, even if you left it on you could just drive off and it would disengage itself. TBH I prefer the old fashioned pull up handbrakes, always pull for that extra click on a steep hill :)
'Enjoy Your Life Today, Because Yesterday Has Gone And Tomorrow May Never Come...'

luix_luix

Post by luix_luix » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:51 pm

New2Zed wrote:Automatic handbrakes as well as hill-start are quite common nowadays and personally, I can't see the point of electric handbrake operation unless some form of automation is incorporated.

If I recall correctly you can only disengage the electronic handbrake once the car is started, therefore helping anti-theft protection, i.e: at night a thief could enter your car, disengage the manual handbrake, push the car away from your house (with the engine still off) and start the car once you can't hear the motor... next day you wake up and your car is gone :cry:

(the above example actually happened to a friend of mine)

xpar1

Post by xpar1 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:10 pm

luix_luix wrote:therefore helping anti-theft protection,
Not wishing to hijack the thread, but whilst on the subject of security! The standard alarm fitted to the Z4, does it have an option for an audible alert when the alarm is turned on and off?
'Enjoy Your Life Today, Because Yesterday Has Gone And Tomorrow May Never Come...'

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:44 pm

luix_luix wrote:
New2Zed wrote:Automatic handbrakes as well as hill-start are quite common nowadays and personally, I can't see the point of electric handbrake operation unless some form of automation is incorporated.

If I recall correctly you can only disengage the electronic handbrake once the car is started, therefore helping anti-theft protection, i.e: at night a thief could enter your car, disengage the manual handbrake, push the car away from your house (with the engine still off) and start the car once you can't hear the motor... next day you wake up and your car is gone :cry:

(the above example actually happened to a friend of mine)
Only problem comes when you want to work on the brakes and they are locked on. What do you do then?

Garvin

Post by Garvin » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:26 pm

New2Zed wrote: . . . . . . . I would swap my electric handbrake for cruise control any day.
I would give mine away if I could - hateful thing!
Considering Ordered Received 35is - Melbourne Red / Ivory White with lots of bells & whistles. Deep Sea Blue replacement 35is now also departed. Replaced by something more brash, more powerful and American!

Zed Five

Post by Zed Five » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:05 pm

I like my electronic handbrake (and the small 'lever' switch). I sat in a 2 series recently and thought how crap an old fashioned handbrake looks these days. I cannot see why the 2 and 3 series don't have an elegant switch.
Why is it that people who can't take advice always insist on giving it? 

E89 35is | BMW S1000rr Motorsport Ed.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:42 am

Zed Five wrote:I like my electronic handbrake (and the small 'lever' switch). I sat in a 2 series recently and thought how crap an old fashioned handbrake looks these days. I cannot see why the 2 and 3 series don't have an elegant switch.
+1 coming from my Zed to the M135i it does feel a bit if step down using the old fashioned hand brake, plus I think the EPB seems to hold the car better on inclines.

Tim.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:15 pm

Does the EPB work mechanically on the disks?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: