Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Options???

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
xpar1

Options???

Post by xpar1 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:46 pm

Hi all, just after some quick thoughts from the people who drive the Z4's.

I'm looking to order either the 20i M-sport or the 28i M-sport, the difference in price from my local dealer is £1480 on a standard no options car. So my question is should I pay the extra £1480 and go for the 28i, or go for the 20i and use the extra £1480 on something like the comfort pack?

Basically is the extra money worth the extra power, or would I make more use of the comfort pack? I could go for the 28i and then add the comfort pack, but then it's starting the 'for another 1000 you can have the ???', if you know what I mean....just to make it simple: Straight choice between the 20i + comfort pack or the 28i standard.

Mainly driving back and forth to work (town driving) and blasts down the coast on nice days!

Obviously thinking come trade in time, would I get more of my hard earned pounds back on the car with the options or the more powerful/not as many around car without options?

Thoughts please :wink:
'Enjoy Your Life Today, Because Yesterday Has Gone And Tomorrow May Never Come...'

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Options???

Post by Angie4m » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:55 pm

Ideally go for the best you can afford. If you can live with the car standard then go for the 28i or if you'd like some extra comfort and toys then go for the 20i. The extra power is great but unless your going to be putting it to good use elsewhere like a track then the 20i should be more than ample as a Daily Driver. However it's your decision at the end of the day.

The 28i is a rarer car than the 20i but the 20i is popular due to economy, insurance and running costs in general.
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

HillWalker

Post by HillWalker » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:12 pm

Only you can answer the power question, depends what kind of driver you are, personally I'd go for the 28i but also I'm sure come trade in time you'd get a better price for a 28i stands to reason at full retail price its a 4 thousand pound dearer car. But whichever you go for it needs the comfort pack or for slightly less you could just spec the 3 main items, cruise control, wind deflector, and PDC sensors and one last little luxury my wife tells me is 100% essential if you are to do much open top motoring that's seat heating. Good Luck, and let us know your final decision.

ric19

Post by ric19 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:18 pm

I drove a 2.0 on a test drive but opted for the 2.8, mine is lacking in 'toys' as it's a manual and no idrive but I consider this to be closer to the essence of what a roadster is all about, but I have the heated seats which are lovely on a frosty drive :)

Jasey

Post by Jasey » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:22 pm

Just make sure you get the best price possible - get them to match Broadspeed;

https://www.broadspeed.com/new_cars/BMW/Z4/

I would always add options to be honest if you intend keeping the car for more than a couple of years :)

Baronbb

Post by Baronbb » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:49 pm

In terms of economy (and emissions) they are the same but everything is gonna be more expensive in the long run as you'll go through tyres quicker, insurance will be more, and you prob have even less chance of reaching the stated mpg figures.
I have the 20i and it is enough for me (for now!) and find it great to drive and by no means slow. They have also done something with the exhaust note which makes it sound much better.
It depends what is important to you, I specced the professional pack, auto, PDC and the 515 18s. That means on my long drive I had inter grated nav which got me out of jams when it could, Bluetooth phone which means I could call the missus easily and legally to tell her I would be late, DVDs of Gavin and Stacy to watch in the tunnel and the 2hour jam in Calais, an extremely comfortable ride without the constant clutch, shift, move, a slim hope that it won't get bumped when parking and wheels that I think really lift it.

Whatever you end up doing you are unlikely to be disappointed.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:09 pm

Depends what your into, performance or toys or both lol

I found the performance of the 2.0 decent enough in all honesty, the 2.8 isn't blistering, only you can answer the question. Personally I would go for the 2.0 and spec the iDrive and a few toys. Since moving on to an F series car and looking back the Zed seems a tad dated now, it could do with the dash updating a little. I don't know if you can spec black panel display on the E89 now but it makes the dash display feel much more modern with driver information and graphics.

Tim.

Avallon

Post by Avallon » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:24 pm

I echo the Broadspeed comment.

After 4 years the difference in depreciation between the 20i and 28i is £1,200 - so for an extra £300 odd over the life of the car you get a lot more performance for your money, at little additional cost (you might use up tyres quicker but if you do, its likely a sign you want the extra power :D - also if you check you'll see that the difference in insurance cost is minimal).

I guess what might come into play is how you plan to purchase the car, if PCP you'll likely regret not splurging an extra fiver a week on the (much) faster model. If buying cash then the price difference may be more important.

Think of it this way: if you could spec a £300 option on the 20i to get 60 additional bhp would you?

Avallon

Post by Avallon » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:29 pm

TitanTim wrote:Depends what your into, performance or toys or both lol

I found the performance of the 2.0 decent enough in all honesty, the 2.8 isn't blistering, only you can answer the question. Personally I would go for the 2.0 and spec the iDrive and a few toys. Since moving on to an F series car and looking back the Zed seems a tad dated now, it could do with the dash updating a little. I don't know if you can spec black panel display on the E89 now but it makes the dash display feel much more modern with driver information and graphics.

Tim.
You could always buy an M135 / M235 and make it look as if you want an M3 / M4 but can't afford it - which doesn't matter of course if you're <30 years old. :poke:

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:14 pm

Avallon wrote:
TitanTim wrote:Depends what your into, performance or toys or both lol

Tim.
You could always buy an M135 / M235 and make it look as if you want an M3 / M4 but can't afford it - which doesn't matter of course if you're <30 years old. :poke:
I bought the M135i as I didn't want an M3/M4 and waiting for the M2 :P

Tim.

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Post by dr_john » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:58 am

I had a 28, now have a 20. Can't tell the difference really, but then I don't really drive anything like flat out. I have all the toys (comfort pack, media etc) and definitely would not be without these. They just make the car a more pleasurable drive.
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

xpar1

Post by xpar1 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:07 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys, plenty for me to think about.
dr_john wrote:I had a 28, now have a 20. Can't tell the difference really, but then I don't really drive anything like flat out. I have all the toys (comfort pack, media etc) and definitely would not be without these. They just make the car a more pleasurable drive.
I'm glad you commented :thumbsup: ideally I was after someone who had driven/owned both. Out of interest why did you drop to the 20i?

Been having a good think about it all today, the entire point of the car (for me) is to get the roof down and enjoy the drive, taking in the scenery along the way. If I want pure power & performance, as someone else mentioned I'd go for the 135i. What's the point of a drop top if you are just want to get from A-B and back again as quick as possible? Again as mentioned, 0-62 in under 7 isn't exactly slow by any standards.

Just been quoted over the phone: 20i M-Sport with comfort pack, £27490 manual in white, from main dealer.

Right I'm off to recon other posts :D
'Enjoy Your Life Today, Because Yesterday Has Gone And Tomorrow May Never Come...'

shortfuse 2

Post by shortfuse 2 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:41 pm

2.8 a little bit more fun

HillWalker

Post by HillWalker » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:50 pm

35is Lots more fun !!!!!!

Avallon

Post by Avallon » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:11 pm

xpar1 wrote:Thanks for all the replies guys, plenty for me to think about.
dr_john wrote:I had a 28, now have a 20. Can't tell the difference really, but then I don't really drive anything like flat out. I have all the toys (comfort pack, media etc) and definitely would not be without these. They just make the car a more pleasurable drive.
I'm glad you commented :thumbsup: ideally I was after someone who had driven/owned both. Out of interest why did you drop to the 20i?

Been having a good think about it all today, the entire point of the car (for me) is to get the roof down and enjoy the drive, taking in the scenery along the way. If I want pure power & performance, as someone else mentioned I'd go for the 135i. What's the point of a drop top if you are just want to get from A-B and back again as quick as possible? Again as mentioned, 0-62 in under 7 isn't exactly slow by any standards.

Just been quoted over the phone: 20i M-Sport with comfort pack, £27490 manual in white, from main dealer.

Right I'm off to recon other posts :D
28i via Broadspeed would be £900 more. 20i would be about £27100. But again, don't forget depreciation...