Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Options???

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
mwadZ4

Re: Options???

Post by mwadZ4 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:13 pm

Personally, I'd take the 28

lux
Lifer
Lifer

Post by lux » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:55 pm

I'd go 20i with the toys and if you really can't live with 60 less horses get it remapped. There's only been a handful of times in the two years I've had the 20i and the three years in my previous 23i that I wanted more oomph! The toys you can enjoy all of the time not just now and again. By the way the stereo upgrade is the best thing I had on my second car (and the 19" rims) although comfort pack is really worth the money. :thumbsup:
981 Cayman Agate Grey

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Post by dr_john » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:13 pm

xpar1 wrote:Thanks for all the replies guys, plenty for me to think about.
dr_john wrote:I had a 28, now have a 20. Can't tell the difference really, but then I don't really drive anything like flat out. I have all the toys (comfort pack, media etc) and definitely would not be without these. They just make the car a more pleasurable drive.
I'm glad you commented :thumbsup: ideally I was after someone who had driven/owned both. Out of interest why did you drop to the 20i?
I had a test drive in a couple of 20's and decided that, for my performance requirements, it was sufficient. The extra £4k+ doesn't seem warranted for the extra BHP and I would rather spend it on toys like comfort and media packs. I also went for the auto gearbox on my new 20i, which is heaven.

I'm not saying what's right and what's wrong, I wouldn't be so presumptious, its all down to individual values and tastes :D

Get down to the dealers and test drive the 20 and 28, have a look at the toys, then decide! :thumbsup:
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

xpar1

Post by xpar1 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:17 pm

Thanks again guys, £900 extra for the 28i via broadspeed incl the comfort pack is rather tempting!!! But then for a few £££ more I could have metallic paint and 19's on the 20i.....decisions decisions lol.

One other thing, does the standard bluetooth allow for an iphone to connect to the car to receive and make calls via buttons on the steering wheel? The book doesn't go into much detail about it.

Thanks.
'Enjoy Your Life Today, Because Yesterday Has Gone And Tomorrow May Never Come...'

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Post by dr_john » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:15 am

xpar1 wrote:
One other thing, does the standard bluetooth allow for an iphone to connect to the car to receive and make calls via buttons on the steering wheel? The book doesn't go into much detail about it.
I should think so, I don't have IPhone but have Samsung Galaxy and that works fine from the steering wheel buttons.

If you have the media pack, your phone address book comes up on the colour screen so you can dial from that!

Baronbb

Post by Baronbb » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:17 pm

Yeah it does

Baronbb

Post by Baronbb » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:18 pm

Sorry misread, I was talking enhanced bluetooth

xpar1

Post by xpar1 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:50 am

Thanks guys, been away around the Telford & Shrewsbury area for a couple of days, most of the country roads around there are 50mph limit with 30/40 through the villages, I must admit I did think whilst driving there that the 20i would be more than enough for my needs.
dr_john wrote: I also went for the auto gearbox on my new 20i, which is heaven.
Are the flappy paddles standard with the auto?
'Enjoy Your Life Today, Because Yesterday Has Gone And Tomorrow May Never Come...'

lux
Lifer
Lifer

Post by lux » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:21 am

Yes they are. Also you can push the gear shifter to the left and then push to change down and pull for up (I use this more than paddles)
The auto is fantastic and loads better than my old manual that used to shake like a shitting dog when pulling off from a standstill when cold!
981 Cayman Agate Grey

xpar1

Post by xpar1 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:39 am

lol thanks for the reply, love the analogy :D

Can you push to the left and use it like a manual after you have started moving, or do you have to select it whilst stopped? Also if you leave it for a while will it just pop back into full auto?

Thanks

lux
Lifer
Lifer

Post by lux » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:46 am

Push it across anytime, moving or not. Don't think it does pop back into auto on its own but it will change up for you if you hit the redline.
981 Cayman Agate Grey

xpar1

Post by xpar1 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:24 pm

That's a clever system then! It's basically fool proof so you can never damage the engine!

2.0 M Sport sDrive20i 2.0 Petrol Auto 2dr Roadster
Solid Alpine White
Comfort Package - Wind deflector/Interior & exterior mirrors folding, auto dimming/Storage Compartment Package/Park Distance Control front & rear/Cruise control with brake function/Extended lighting
£29,039

gazandjan

Post by gazandjan » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:25 pm

Need heated seats - for winter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Post by dr_john » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:03 am

I agree with all that Lux has said, I know that he has more experience of the auto gearbox than I have! I'm still experimenting with mine, had a great run out to Norfolk and back today (about 300 miles of non motorway roads), still happy with the 20i choice and the auto option.

Lux, where do you get these analogies from? Shitting dog indeed, I'm still sniggering about that. :D

xpar1

Post by xpar1 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:25 pm

gazandjan wrote:Need heated seats - for winter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Heated seats are for girls, it has to be very cold for me to feel the cold!