Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

MOT due. Use BMW or go elsewhere?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Re: MOT due. Use BMW or go elsewhere?

Post by ronk » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:29 pm

Audi up here in the NE have it sussed I think.
Have the car serviced by them and at
Mot time the charge £50 and give a "free" mot insurance for the following year.

It about high time BMW dealers woke up I'm my opinion!

Top dollar for just doing the job doesn't cut the mustard :thumbsdown:
It might have been when any little Herbert would take the car for a brake test but not now.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:34 pm

Normally take mine to an MOT only place for the reason they have no interest in failing, but took to BMW this year as it was only £35 so worth the risk.

They failed it at first then passed straight away after adjusting one of the headlights, all at no extra cost :o

Even more surprising as they tried to charge me £40 a few years ago to adjust the lights on my old Z4 when I complained they were shite and I couldn't see where I was going.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:43 pm

ronk wrote:Audi up here in the NE have it sussed I think.

It might have been when any little Herbert would take the car for a brake test but not now.
It really depends on the individual BMW dealer, unfortunately they're not all of a standard and hence tarnishes the rest. I've often thought of taking the Z3 to a BMW indi but I just don't trust anyone to look after the car. I've used the Halfords, National Tyres type places and the car has always been damaged or left in an oily state. Having said that I've found Peugeot and Vaxuhall even worse. There are some BMW dealers who strive for good customer care with a view to keeping customers long term for which I will happily pay a few quid more, to me alot cheaper than having dents pulled out and scratches resprayed after each service.

Tim.
Tim.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:02 am

TitanTim wrote:

It really depends on the individual BMW dealer, unfortunately they're not all of a standard and hence tarnishes the rest. I've often thought of taking the Z3 to a BMW indi but I just don't trust anyone to look after the car. I've used the Halfords, National Tyres type places and the car has always been damaged or left in an oily state. Having said that I've found Peugeot and Vaxuhall even worse. There are some BMW dealers who strive for good customer care with a view to keeping customers long term for which I will happily pay a few quid more, to me alot cheaper than having dents pulled out and scratches resprayed after each service.

Tim.
Tim.
I think you've shot wide of the point Tim. Or is that Tim Tim now ? :D
I was highlighting the fact that Audi here in the NE offer a insurance policy for the next years possible mot failure. They do honour it as well. We had a spring failure on my wife's Audi and they paid the bill. Top marks for them. Obviously it doesn't cover consumables ie tyre , brake pads!j

On your point of Halfords and nat tyres, I wouldn't let them oil a pram!

Talksthetorque

Post by Talksthetorque » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:14 am

Council depot for me. No interest in finding fake faults (not saying other places do....) as they don't repair. Full price but worth the independent assessment

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:18 am

It's worth remembering that once a fault has been logged onto the system - it stays there! It will show at another mot station if you go and attempt a different outcome.

gov

Post by gov » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:56 am

TitanTim wrote:

Tim.

Tim.

I understand your fears but it's all about trust - I've been going to my " local " for 15 years - never a problem with any of our cars and you can wait and watch if you want - I would however get paranoid if I was forced to go elsewhere even to BMW.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:36 pm

ronk wrote:
TitanTim wrote:

Tim.
Tim.
I think you've shot wide of the point Tim. Or is that Tim Tim now ? :D
I was highlighting the fact that Audi here in the NE offer a insurance policy for the next years possible mot failure. They do honour it as well. We had a spring failure on my wife's Audi and they paid the bill. Top marks for them. Obviously it doesn't cover consumables ie tyre , brake pads!j

On your point of Halfords and nat tyres, I wouldn't let them oil a pram!
My Z3 has had 10 MOTs and never failed, unsure an insurance policy would be of much use :D Audis may be different :poke:

Tim.

Tim.

Tim.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:16 pm

TitanTim wrote:
My Z3 has had 10 MOTs and never failed, unsure an insurance policy would be of much use :D Audis may be different :poke:

Tim.

Tim.

Tim.
It certainly would have failed big style if BMW hadn't coughed up for them to be welded up!

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:45 pm

Local garage - been their for the last 7 years. No problems :thumbsup:
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:45 pm

AlanJ wrote:Local garage - been their for the last 7 years. No problems :thumbsup:
I use an approved indi for my disco - only ever had one service at the main dealer and they were useless.
Half the battle is they are intersted in you as a customer and don't treat you just as a job number.