Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

oil warning light !

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
gaz711

oil warning light !

Post by gaz711 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:36 am

Hi have recently been getting the oil warning light flash up when the engine has got warmed up
Have checked the oil levels via the on board computer and the level seems ok . . nearer the minimun than maximun level but not low.
Anyone had any experience on this ?

Cheers Gaz

Z42b

Re: oil warning light !

Post by Z42b » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:17 am

Stating the obvious, but have you checked the level on the dipstick? Don't rely on computers for levels.

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:25 pm

Z42b wrote:Stating the obvious, but have you checked the level on the dipstick? Don't rely on computers for levels.
And what Dip stick would this be? BMW have not been providing petrol engines with a dip stick for a long time, I can safely say that as the my E88's petrol engines did not come with one. Only Oil Burners get them these days. And as the post is in the E89 section the car does not have one. Only a computer read out
gaz711 wrote:Hi have recently been getting the oil warning light flash up when the engine has got warmed up
Have checked the oil levels via the on board computer and the level seems ok . . nearer the minimun than maximun level but not low.
Anyone had any experience on this ?

Cheers Gaz
I've not had that, only had it flash up when its reached the min level and its needs the top up of oil. not the best system in the world but by the sounds of it, it probably needs the oil topped up. Possibly dropping slightly low so I'd give it a top up personally. It takes 1 litre when its at min so maybe go for half a litre to see if that cures it
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

gaz711

Post by gaz711 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:29 pm

cheers angie4m sensible advice will give it a top up any recommends on best oil ?

Z42b

Post by Z42b » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:26 pm

Angie4m wrote:
And what Dip stick would this be? BMW have not been providing petrol engines with a dip stick for a long time, I can safely say that as the my E88's petrol engines did not come with one. Only Oil Burners get them these days. And as the post is in the E89 section the car does not have one. Only a computer read out
wow I didn't know that! goes to show forums are for learning :) Thought it was a bit strange it hadn't been mentioned by the OP.

Captainken

Post by Captainken » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:39 pm

That's odd!
I've got a dipstick on mine
It's a 2003 3.0 auto
2003 Z4 3.0i Auto Maldives Blue with Ivory Leather, Stubby, Angel eyes, chrome grills, zunsport lower mesh grill, M style pedals, drilled disc

Titan

Post by Titan » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:45 pm

gaz711 wrote:cheers angie4m sensible advice will give it a top up any recommends on best oil ?
I agree with Angie.
I'm not a great fan of electric dipsticks but they are what they are.
Drawing a parallel with my old Z3 (which had a proper dipstick in the engine and behind the wheel) the warning light used to flash when the level dropped anywhere below half way.
Half a litre of top up sorted it for another few thousand miles.

As for the "best" oil everyone has their own favourites.
Provided it has matching viscosity and LL rating it doesn't matter.
I use Halfords Fully Synthetic 5-30 LL04 which is produced by Comma.
Bought 5litres and using a trade card it was £28.
It comes in a non-descript plain green bottle, but "oil is oil"
sDrive35i MSport DCT / Deep Sea Blue + White / Mickey Mouse aerial / Smart Top
Michelin PSS / PunctureSafe / 2014 map update

JustCruzin

Post by JustCruzin » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:48 pm

Titan wrote:
gaz711 wrote:Half a litre of top up sorted it for another few thousand miles."
Same affair with me very recently but mine needed a litre- heavy drinker I guess :D

JC :)

Titan

oil warning light !

Post by Titan » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:54 pm

Just a note of caution. I would never add a full litre in one go.
Better to add half a litre, let it settle then recheck.
Too much oil can be worse than not enough and it's easier to add more than take some out!
sDrive35i MSport DCT / Deep Sea Blue + White / Mickey Mouse aerial / Smart Top
Michelin PSS / PunctureSafe / 2014 map update

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:21 pm

gaz711 wrote:cheers angie4m sensible advice will give it a top up any recommends on best oil ?
It's all personal preference. I believe that BMW recommend/use Castrol Edge 0w-30. I have always, personally used Mobil 1 but might switch to Castrol on the Z'd. However I use Castrol to service my sisters polo and my Dads BMs and no issues. But Titan has given some options too. So we will leave it up to you.
Z42b wrote:
Angie4m wrote:
wow I didn't know that! goes to show forums are for learning :) Thought it was a bit strange it hadn't been mentioned by the OP.
Well indeed and as a potential new buyer it's good to know these things. I'm not a big fan of no dipstick but not much you cN do apart from choose another brand and car. At least with the Z'd I got a bonnet insulating mat. My E88 didn't come with one, they were only standard on diesel models, something I found bizarre as the mat is not only designed to dampen noise but drop from the bonnet on to a fire in the engine bay, hopefully extinguishing it.
Titan wrote:Just a note of caution. I would never add a full litre in one go.
Better to add half a litre, let it settle then recheck.
Too much oil can be worse than not enough and it's easier to add more than take some out!
Indeed that should always be the case with or without a proper dipstick :thumbsup:

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997

Still Shy and retiring

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:25 pm

Captainken wrote:That's odd!
I've got a dipstick on mine
It's a 2003 3.0 auto
But you own a E85 so that's correct. I owned E88s from 2009 onwards and they didn't have dipsticks either. All new BMWs unless diesel do not have dip sticks

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997

Still Shy and retiring

Captainken

Post by Captainken » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:44 pm

OK I didn't know that
Thanks
2003 Z4 3.0i Auto Maldives Blue with Ivory Leather, Stubby, Angel eyes, chrome grills, zunsport lower mesh grill, M style pedals, drilled disc

JustCruzin

Post by JustCruzin » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:34 am

Titan wrote:Just a note of caution. I would never add a full litre in one go...
Very good advice. In these engines too much oil is a recipe for disaster.

JC :)