Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Buying a 35is (newbie)

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
35isDreamer

Buying a 35is (newbie)

Post by 35isDreamer » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:14 pm

Hi Forum. First post here. Have been lurking and reading for a month or so.

So I had a second and longer test drive of a new 35is at the weekend. The dealer was kind enough to give me 3 hours in it. Well I have fallen in love, in fact I'd say I was intoxicated. What a car. And now have sign off from SHMBO, so have decided its the car for me. (The 435i I also tested wasn't practical enough to be a family car, and wasn't as fun as the Z4, and is more expensive so is a non-starter).

I am reading that there are good discounts available on a new 35is. About £31/32k without options seems to be what people on forums are quoting. Has anyone achieved this IRL, or done even better? I am price restricted, so this is important to me.

I'd seriously consider a nearly new one from BMW for price and leadtime benefits, but when I look at the ads on BMW or Autotrader, they seem to be significantly more expensive that the £31/32k prices people are quoting for new. Why would this be? Seems madness.

Hope to be joining you Z4 owners soon!
2013 Z4 35is Deep Sea Blue.

Jasey

Re: Buying a 35is (newbie)

Post by Jasey » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:45 pm

35isDreamer wrote:Hi Forum. First post here. Have been lurking and reading for a month or so.

So I had a second and longer test drive of a new 35is at the weekend. The dealer was kind enough to give me 3 hours in it. Well I have fallen in love, in fact I'd say I was intoxicated. What a car. And now have sign off from SHMBO, so have decided its the car for me. (The 435i I also tested wasn't practical enough to be a family car, and wasn't as fun as the Z4, and is more expensive so is a non-starter).

I am reading that there are good discounts available on a new 35is. About £31/32k without options seems to be what people on forums are quoting. Has anyone achieved this IRL, or done even better? I am price restricted, so this is important to me.

I'd seriously consider a nearly new one from BMW for price and leadtime benefits, but when I look at the ads on BMW or Autotrader, they seem to be significantly more expensive that the £31/32k prices people are quoting for new. Why would this be? Seems madness.

Hope to be joining you Z4 owners soon!
https://www.broadspeed.com/CarView/BMW/ ... ic_2_doors

35isDreamer

Post by 35isDreamer » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:56 pm

Thanks Jasey. I had seen that, I'd assumed that I'd be able to get a better price by going direct? Presumably BS need to take a margin by being a middle man.

What I don't understand is why there are almost new 35iss on BMW for £40k, but they don't have anywhere near £8k of options. So newer is cheaper than used?

Jasey

Post by Jasey » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:01 pm

35isDreamer wrote:Thanks Jasey. I had seen that, I'd assumed that I'd be able to get a better price by going direct? Presumably BS need to take a margin by being a middle man.

What I don't understand is why there are almost new 35iss on BMW for £40k, but they don't have anywhere near £8k of options. So newer is cheaper than used?
If I were you I'd send the link to the dealer you visited and see what he can do :).

Unfortunately I live in Aberdeen - If you go into the BMW dealer up here and ask for a discount they will piss themselves laughing !

Others on here reckon they can get similar prices - but I've not seen anyone post the name of a dealer you can go to.

Broadspeed take approx £1k - but that's included in the deal price shown !

Jasey

Post by Jasey » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:09 pm

PS - If they quote you delivery slots defore December get them to check with the Factory - see my other thread regarding production slots being dropped :headbang:

35isDreamer

Post by 35isDreamer » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:19 pm

Jasey wrote:Broadspeed take approx £1k - but that's included in the deal price shown !
Thanks - interesting. So in a perfect world I should be able to get £1k below the Broadspeed price by going direct.

I'm not sure I want to wait until December - hence my interest, and confusion, about the price of the AUC ones.

Z42b

Post by Z42b » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:03 pm

Jasey wrote: Unfortunately I live in Aberdeen - If you go into the BMW dealer up here and ask for a discount they will piss themselves laughing !
I thought you got better deals up north? I recently spoke to a nice chap at Peter Vardy in Edinburgh and he was offering a 20i M-Sport for £379 down and £379 a month on a PCP, I thought that was very good! Brought the price down to £25,561 after their contribution. Looking online 12 month old cars sell for that.

envy

Post by envy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:24 pm

like myself, you can go to any bmw main dealer and get 14-15k off list price by quoting the broadspeed offer. thats what i did... the offered me a new one built to spec but i refused as i didnt want to wait 2-3months at the time and told them to look at the new ones they had in stock

they had my current melbourne red in stock albeit for a few more expensive options than i would of chosen but it was a small additional price to pay for getting one within 2 weeks of negotiating the deal

i used stratstone in derby after sytner in nottingham offered me around 2k less trade in on my 20i

so long as you show that you are committed to do the deal there and then ie put your money where your mouth is, they will get you the 14-15k discount

Jasey

Post by Jasey » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:35 pm

Z42b wrote:
Jasey wrote: Unfortunately I live in Aberdeen - If you go into the BMW dealer up here and ask for a discount they will piss themselves laughing !
I thought you got better deals up north? I recently spoke to a nice chap at Peter Vardy in Edinburgh and he was offering a 20i M-Sport for £379 down and £379 a month on a PCP, I thought that was very good! Brought the price down to £25,561 after their contribution. Looking online 12 month old cars sell for that.
It's a specific Aberdeen problem - too much Oil money !

Although I am waiting for P Vardy in Endinburgh to match broadspeed's price on a 2.8 MSport as I aint waiting til December for BMW to Maybe build me as 35iS !

Z42b

Post by Z42b » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:38 pm

Apart from the engine is there any difference between the 20i & 28i? Seems rather a big jump in price for a 'tuned' engine.

35isDreamer

Post by 35isDreamer » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:10 pm

envy wrote:like myself, you can go to any bmw main dealer and get 14-15k off list price by quoting the broadspeed offer. thats what i did... the offered me a new one built to spec but i refused as i didnt want to wait 2-3months at the time and told them to look at the new ones they had in stock

they had my current melbourne red in stock albeit for a few more expensive options than i would of chosen but it was a small additional price to pay for getting one within 2 weeks of negotiating the deal
Thanks. Thats where I'll start I think. Although I am limited in that I am not allowed a white or red car (SWMBO's only criteria), so I suspect there will be less choice.

Still don't understand why 2013 AUC seem so expensive compared to the deal you got. e.g. this at £33k 2013 AUC

Avallon

Post by Avallon » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:45 pm

Broadspeed works with the fleet department within dealerships rather than the retail department. Fleet depts work on large volume / small margin (and no time spent on test drives etc.). If you look at lease prices on popular models and work out your total cost of ownership compared to buying at RRP you'll see that dealerships must get cars at significantly less than RRP.

Because ultimately dealerships still get a sale that counts towards their targets, some (but not nearly all!) will price match BS and other brokers.

Approved Used Cars are stickered based on retail (book) value. They can't price them at less than the broker price for new or no one would ever buy a nearly new car :)

envy

Post by envy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:29 pm

35isDreamer wrote:Thanks. Thats where I'll start I think. Although I am limited in that I am not allowed a white or red car (SWMBO's only criteria), so I suspect there will be less choice.
i dont think you will have any to choose from as i literally had two choices last month, red or orange.... the orange was a very high spec and not quite the colour of my choice

unless the uk dealerships have had more in since then, im pretty sure the orange one would of gone by now

let us know how you get on either way

Nezzy33

Post by Nezzy33 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:00 am

Z42b wrote:Apart from the engine is there any difference between the 20i & 28i? Seems rather a big jump in price for a 'tuned' engine.
Errr....that's the whole point isn't it?
That's like saying there's a big jump in price between a 116d and a 125d. Of course there is......it's a better car. :wink:

There's no comparison between the 20i and the 28i. You get nearly 60bhp more in the 28i without having to "tune" it, which would probably invalidate your warranty anyway.

I got my 28i for less than £24,500 as a pre-registered with 7 miles on it.

mwadZ4

Post by mwadZ4 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:25 pm

Nezzy33 wrote:
Z42b wrote:Apart from the engine is there any difference between the 20i & 28i? Seems rather a big jump in price for a 'tuned' engine.
I got my 28i for less than £24,500 as a pre-registered with 7 miles on it.
That's a good price - I'm well jealous :P