Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Has anyone had a roof wrapped?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
W12JFD

Has anyone had a roof wrapped?

Post by W12JFD » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:52 pm

Hi All

Sorry to post again - I've bought a new Z4 and part of the deal was to paint or wrap the roof black. The dealer is now saying it is highly likely to cause a problem with leaks and they cannot do it at a reasonable cost. (bloody annoyed / disappointed). I am suspecting this is all 'dealer waffle'

My question is has anyone had a wrap or repaint and subsequently had problems with the roof?

Cheers

ba3bas

Re: Has anyone had a roof wrapped?

Post by ba3bas » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:19 pm

What has a wrap got anything to do with leaks?

Unless they intend on removing the roof and by doing so cutting the seals and then doing a shite job putting it back together then they are talking sense……

In short, get a wrap from total dynamics or elsewhere
Get a respray from any decent body shop.

I doubt the roof needs removal but if it does, no bother.
Something like 4 bolts behind the roof lining and cutting of the mastic with a wire
Untitled by Ba3bas, on Flickr

Dale_B

Post by Dale_B » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:31 pm

I can see the dealers point on this one regarding the painted option, the E89's roof is a complex piece of engineering, research on here will highlight they can be troublesome left alone never mind been fully stripped down to enable the panels to be painted.

Imagine the feeling say 6months down the line when you could experience water ingress etc.. Not saying it will happen but maybe a possibility?

My E86 roof is wrapped and in all fairness looks cracking, understand the E89 is more complex but maybes worth it in the long run, as a wrap can be applied without the roof having to be dismantled.

Good luck which ever route you decide to go down. :thumbsup:

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:37 pm

Who said it was an E89 ? I know he said a 'new Z4' but that doesn't necessarily mean an E89 (...unless you know more than he's posted?)

Xedbot has had his Silver E86's roof wrapped in black and it looks great. - If its an E86 go for it...

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:49 pm

Number5 wrote:Who said it was an E89 ? I know he said a 'new Z4' but that doesn't necessarily mean an E89 (...unless you know more than he's posted?)

Xedbot has had his Silver E86's roof wrapped in black and it looks great. - If its an E86 go for it...
http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... 23&t=67699

:wink:

Tim.

Dale_B

Post by Dale_B » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:53 pm

Number5 wrote:Who said it was an E89 ? I know he said a 'new Z4' but that doesn't necessarily mean an E89 (...unless you know more than he's posted?)
With the topic being posted in the 'E89 section'

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:00 pm

Ah, I just read it under the new posts section... :oops:
It would help though if people put their vehicle details in their signature... :thumbsup:
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

ba3bas

Post by ba3bas » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:54 pm

A wrap doesn't involve any dismantling if done by a decent company.

I was talking about a coupe but shouldn't be that difficult either.

Personally I would never let a dealer spray my car because they third it out anyway.
Best to go somewhere reputable.

Don't know your location to suggest anyone
Untitled by Ba3bas, on Flickr

DeenLoon

Post by DeenLoon » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:21 am

Had mine done in Satin Black to match the rims. Cost £230 for the wrap and window tints and I've had no problems with leaks, rattles or anything else so far. I'm considering having the wing mirrors and side indicator housings done too. The missus hates it... which means I LOVE IT! :evil:

E89 35is. Valencia Orange with Black Roof. Pure Traction Interior. 326's Gloss Black & Callipers Valencia Orange by BMW. Smarttop. Stubby. 3D Design Carbon Fiber Boot Spoiler, Autocarbon.de Front Lip Spoiler & Rear Diffuser. Quad Exhaust.