Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

auto goes into manual instead of sport

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
toonmal

auto goes into manual instead of sport

Post by toonmal » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:01 am

As the title says. Sometimes when I try to put my auto box into sport mode (move gear knob left), it goes into sport manual. How can I ensure it always goes into sport mode.. I've read the manual, not much help :cry:

DrNick

Re: auto goes into manual instead of sport

Post by DrNick » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:07 am

If the car is in drive and you move the stick to the left, if should go into sport auto (S).

If you then either select a gear using either the steering control or the stick it will chance to manual (M) and stay in this mode until you move the stick back into drive.

Is yours doing something different?
2007 Carbon Black 2.0 Sport + comfort pack + bluetooth - Loved and not forgotten!
2012 E89 Space Grey M Sport 2.0 Auto - need to update signature!

Zed Five

Post by Zed Five » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:19 am

DrNick wrote:If the car is in drive and you move the stick to the left, if should go into sport auto (S).

If you then either select a gear using either the steering control or the stick it will chance to manual (M) and stay in this mode until you move the stick back into drive.

Is yours doing something different?
E89 is different. Push stick left for manual, press sport button for sport, do both to get sport manual. This should be manual with better throttle, weighted steering and more kuck to manual changes.

if this is not happening, something sounds wrong.
Why is it that people who can't take advice always insist on giving it? 

E89 35is | BMW S1000rr Motorsport Ed.

DrNick

Post by DrNick » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:32 am

Mine is an e89 ;)

Just driven to work - was playing - if you have gone into temp Manual mode by using the paddles when it's in drive and then move stick to the left it will go into m mode rather than s mode
2007 Carbon Black 2.0 Sport + comfort pack + bluetooth - Loved and not forgotten!

Zed Five

Post by Zed Five » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:49 am

DrNick wrote:Mine is an e89 ;) :D sorry, was half asleep, just saw the e85 in yiur sig.

Just driven to work - was playing - if you have gone into temp Manual mode by using the paddles when it's in drive and then move stick to the left it will go into m mode rather than s mode
Why is it that people who can't take advice always insist on giving it? 

E89 35is | BMW S1000rr Motorsport Ed.

toonmal

Post by toonmal » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:04 am

Thanks for the replies..I don't think I explained it very well..What happens is, if I move the stick to the left, expecting 'sport auto mode' i.e it comes up on the display S1 etc, sometimes it comes up i.e m1..Perhaps when I move left, I inadvertently move the stick up/down, putting it in to manual mode.

DrNick

Post by DrNick » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:58 am

Yes, or you have put it in temp "m" mode by using the paddles when its in "d" before moving it to the left as I discovered yesterday

NIck

toonmal

Post by toonmal » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:41 pm

Thanks DrNick :D