Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Many simple questions

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Many simple questions

Post by dr_john » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:12 pm

I've never noticed tramlining in either of the e89's that I've owned. I did have a Honda Civic once that tramlined horribly, so I know what it feels like!

As regards the Msport suspension, yes it's a bit firmer but not ridiculously so. The Msport option makes the car look and feel much more like a sports car, which is the whole point of a zed for me.
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:15 pm

I don't buy into the advice on the car being made for runflats.

For ride comfort I would say 18" runflats are the same as 19" normal tyres.

In my personal experience with runflat tyres I found the following downsides:
-Uneven wear (quite common on the bridgestones even with proper tracking adjustments)
-Tramlining
-Poor traction
-Noisy
-Seemed to attract punctures - also noticed by many others on the E90post forums.
-Experienced three cracked wheels within 10k miles (having changed to normal tyres on my E92 and covering 80k miles I'm still yet to see another crack) - Plenty of people attributing the cracking issues to runflat tyres.

I would actually go as far as to say they are unsafe. Even purely on a traction basis they are unsafe but given their affinity to puncture, their uneven wear which if not checked could cause a blowout (not many people actually check inside edge of tyres) and you have a pretty unreliable tyre.

Any fitter will tell you they are a nightmare to remove and a fair amount of tyre shops will not repair them.

Personally I'm much happier and feel safer with a 12v compressor and a can of tyre weld.
You really need to ask yourself why BMW chose to fit runflats on all their standard cars and not their M cars. If they were not compromised then surely M cars would come with them fitted.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:02 pm

R.E92 wrote:I don't buy into the advice on the car being made for runflats.

For ride comfort I would say 18" runflats are the same as 19" normal tyres.

In my personal experience with runflat tyres I found the following downsides:
-Uneven wear (quite common on the bridgestones even with proper tracking adjustments)
-Tramlining
-Poor traction
-Noisy
-Seemed to attract punctures - also noticed by many others on the E90post forums.
-Experienced three cracked wheels within 10k miles (having changed to normal tyres on my E92 and covering 80k miles I'm still yet to see another crack) - Plenty of people attributing the cracking issues to runflat tyres.

I would actually go as far as to say they are unsafe. Even purely on a traction basis they are unsafe but given their affinity to puncture, their uneven wear which if not checked could cause a blowout (not many people actually check inside edge of tyres) and you have a pretty unreliable tyre.

Any fitter will tell you they are a nightmare to remove and a fair amount of tyre shops will not repair them.

Personally I'm much happier and feel safer with a 12v compressor and a can of tyre weld.
You really need to ask yourself why BMW chose to fit runflats on all their standard cars and not their M cars. If they were not compromised then surely M cars would come with them fitted.
Quote from BMW

"All of our vehicles that use Run-flat technology have their suspension and braking components set up to accommodate Run-flat tyres. Should you decide to change to non Run-flats, it may alter the driving and handling characteristics of your vehicle. It is for this reason that this modification is not recommended by BMW as a manufacturer"

Its down to the indivudual whether they prefer the comfort of standard tyres over runflats. I guess for me I much prefer the safety advantages over relying on a can of foam at the side of the road.

Tim.

shotbybothsides

Post by shotbybothsides » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:51 pm

I too have no problem with the runflats on the E89.
I think, and I'll get lots of flack for saying this... but a lot of the perceived issues about run flats on the E89 come from how the E85/86 behaves with them, ie not at all well.

bluespit

Post by bluespit » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:54 pm

I have an e89 with 19 runflats and m sport setup. A couple of months ago I was lucky enough to drive a similar car with adaptive suspension and found it to be excellent and something I would consider paying extra for in the future. If you find a car with adaptive then I would recommend considering paying a premium for it.

Cheers
now I'm about to have more time I've suddenly got less toys to play with!

lux
Lifer
Lifer

Post by lux » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:37 pm

The 8 speed auto is fantastic, and the paddles make driving a little more involving. There no way I would go back to a manual, I found my first E89 manual very juddery pulling away from standstill especially when cold.
There's hardly any difference between the 18" and 19" in ride quality but the 19's look a loads better, although tyres will cost you more.
If you like your music find one with a stereo upgrade as the standard one is a bit pants, and don't forget heated seats, a must.
981 Cayman Agate Grey

Garvin

Post by Garvin » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:22 am

Run flats - I have 19" rims but adaptive suspension and ride quality is perfectly OK. During summer the run flats are absolutely fine my only gripe with them, and expressed before, is that grip levels fall away quickly at temperatures below about ~7C.
Considering Ordered Received 35is - Melbourne Red / Ivory White with lots of bells & whistles. Deep Sea Blue replacement 35is now also departed. Replaced by something more brash, more powerful and American!

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:58 pm

Garvin wrote:my only gripe with them, and expressed before, is that grip levels fall away quickly at temperatures below about ~7C.
One of the reasons why I don't use mine during the winter unless I put winter tyres on the Zed but didn't fancy shelling out 1700 quid :o

Tim

Stark
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stark » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:25 pm

But we forget the one issue.....the big issue, that the RFTs do contribute to alloys cracking, it's well known. For this reason I do sometimes think about changing, but the only bummer is my rears always need changing at a different time to the fronts.....I know I just need to go all out and change them

New2Zed

Post by New2Zed » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:29 pm

Are wheels still cracking then? I remember seeing something about this on Watchdog four or five years ago and presumed it would have been sorted by now.
Does it manifest itself in just leakage, or can it be catastrophic?
Are 19" wheels more prone than standard M pack 18" wheels.
Reading the posts it seems as though BMW pick up the bill for the first three years then after that you're on your own even though it's a known fault.

Sorry for all the questions.
2014 Z4 2.0. (driven by her in doors cos she thinks she looks pretty in it).
Range Rover Evoque (toss up between one of these and an X4)
Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglia

envy

Post by envy » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:45 pm

cant speak for everyone else but ive had mine for 2 years from new and after 18k miles, i havent had any issues with cracking

Garvin

Post by Garvin » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:45 pm

TitanTim wrote:
Garvin wrote:my only gripe with them, and expressed before, is that grip levels fall away quickly at temperatures below about ~7C.
One of the reasons why I don't use mine during the winter unless I put winter tyres on the Zed but didn't fancy shelling out 1700 quid :o

Tim
The upside is you, too, can become a King of drift 8)
Considering Ordered Received 35is - Melbourne Red / Ivory White with lots of bells & whistles. Deep Sea Blue replacement 35is now also departed. Replaced by something more brash, more powerful and American!

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:09 pm

Garvin wrote:
TitanTim wrote:

Tim
The upside is you, too, can become a King of drift 8)
lol not when I'm on a PCP, maybe once I own the Zed :)

Tim.