Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

About to change to Michelin PSS

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Gonkface

About to change to Michelin PSS

Post by Gonkface » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:53 pm

I am about to change to these tyres from the OEM Bridgestone Potenzas purely for improved ride quality and comfort. The Bridgestones are 255/35/18 and 225/40/18. I was wondering if there would be an increase in comfort if I went for say 45s instead of the stock sizes or indeed if this is even possible. Any opinions greatly appreciated.

Napastar

Re: About to change to Michelin PSS

Post by Napastar » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:00 am

I think its fair to say that you will see some improvement in comfort with a higher profile but its likeky you will have some issues as this will increase the rolling radius of the wheels unless you also change to small alloy wheels.

You will certainly affect the accuracy of your speedo. You may also have problems with other systems that use sensors to take readings from the wheels. I know the tyre pressure warning system is one, the cars ABS system uses wheel sensors etc however I dont know if these 2 examples would have problems,

You may also have problems with wheels clearance as making the rolling radius bigger may cause the tyre to rub on the arch/body.

In short you'll have no problem changing brand but I'd keep to OEM tyre size if I were you. If you want more comfort you could change all 4 tyres to non runflat but then you'll need a can of Tyreweld or similar in case you get a flat.

Hope this helps
E89 sDrive 20i Jet Black - Red Coral Leather

Gonkface

Re: About to change to Michelin PSS

Post by Gonkface » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:20 am

Hi Napaster,

Many thanks for your response. I will certainly take your advice regarding the Tyreweld and the sizing.

I have had the car from new for 3 months or so and have had all the boneshaking I can cope with!

Appreciate your comments.