Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Software enhancement recall

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Software enhancement recall

Post by TitanTim » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:19 pm

Anyone heard of this?

Dropped the Zed for a straightforward service and have had to leave it with them overnight as they have tried twice to do a software enhancement update which takes 3 hours and it's crashed when doing it.

When I asked they didn't know what the update is for :|

Tim.

Titan

Re: Software enhancement recall

Post by Titan » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:49 pm

TitanTim wrote:Anyone heard of this
Sounds like you have Tim ;)
But should you really have the 4 on the road yet?
It's a bit early - there may be more frost and salt yet [FLUSHED FACE]

Regards
T
sDrive35i MSport DCT / Deep Sea Blue + White / Mickey Mouse aerial / Smart Top
Michelin PSS / PunctureSafe / 2014 map update

gingertosser

Post by gingertosser » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:10 pm

Titan wrote:
TitanTim wrote:Anyone heard of this
Sounds like you have Tim ;)
But should you really have the 4 on the road yet?
It's a bit early - there may be more frost and salt yet [FLUSHED FACE]

Regards
T
?

Ozzie

Post by Ozzie » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:39 pm

Hi Tim,

I dropped by Knights to pik up an i-phone 5 cable and my Z4 (2012) is due a software update. When I asked what for they said it was just improving the computer display...on the dash. :o
'12 Z4 s20i Roadster Mineral White Coral Red Kansas Trim & perhaps most importantly, Coffee Cup Holders!!

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:07 pm

Ozzie wrote:Hi Tim,

I dropped by Knights to pik up an i-phone 5 cable and my Z4 (2012) is due a software update. When I asked what for they said it was just improving the computer display...on the dash. :o
Cheers Ozzie, the service guy first said it was a software recall, so I said exactly what that was lol and then he said its a quality enhancement lol so non the wiser really, he mentioned it wasn't just my car they couldn't get the software to update :cry: Hoping it will be done by the morning. They were going to leave it running overnight :|

Tim.

Bubble1982

Post by Bubble1982 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:41 am

Could this be the recall that stops thieves from being able to code a blank key fob using the car itself?

There was a big problem with this a while back but I don't think BMW officially admitted anything. When mine went in for this update nobody could give a straight answer about what the update was for. It came up on the receipt as "quality enhancement" lol

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg7 ... technology
sDrive 35i // Deep Sea Blue // Manual

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:31 am

Bubble1982 wrote:Could this be the recall that stops thieves from being able to code a blank key fob using the car itself?

There was a big problem with this a while back but I don't think BMW officially admitted anything. When mine went in for this update nobody could give a straight answer about what the update was for. It came up on the receipt as "quality enhancement" lol

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg7 ... technology
I think I have sussed what the quality enhancement is as the dealer termed it......its called dancing windows which I've never had before lol :headbang: I've just reset them and all seems good now.

You could be right re key cloning but I was under the impression it didn't affect my build year and it was earlier years affected.

Whats annoyed me is I asked the service girl and another sevice guy a number of times what the software enhancement actually was and all I got was its a vehicle quality enhancement lol yes but what is that actually, they still kept giving the same reply. So either they didn't know or wouldn't say. I expect the former.

Don't get me wrong my dealer is great and the main thing is the car is always returned spotless/dent/scratch free and has been the case for years which is why I use them but it would be nice if they explained more precisely the work being carried out for those customers who are interested in finding out.

Tim.

Talksthetorque

Post by Talksthetorque » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:58 pm

Google translate says
" They didn't know what they were doing - and they messed it up"

I hope you've got a nice courtesy car and a discount on your next service.

extrablatt

Post by extrablatt » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:23 pm

I had the software update for the cloning keys done back in 2012. I requested they do it when I dropped the car in for a service.
2013 E89 35iS Mineral White
19" 326M | heated seats & wheel | pro nav & hifi | stubby

Gone: 2010 E89 23i Space Grey

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:35 pm

extrablatt wrote:I had the software update for the cloning keys done back in 2012. I requested they do it when I dropped the car in for a service.
I had mines in three times for this and three times they never bothered their back end to do it. But they road tested the car several times. Sold the car instead. Might check that this baby has had that update done. This is one car I do not want to loose!
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

Sizzle

Post by Sizzle » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:46 am

Mine's just been in for first service and not aware it had a software update but interestingly when I put the top back up yesterday the driver's window went up then down and wouldn't close properly unless I used the window close button. It's never done this before. How do you reset the window?

extrablatt

Post by extrablatt » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:48 am

Angie4m wrote:
extrablatt wrote:I had the software update for the cloning keys done back in 2012. I requested they do it when I dropped the car in for a service.
I had mines in three times for this and three times they never bothered their back end to do it. But they road tested the car several times. Sold the car instead. Might check that this baby has had that update done. This is one car I do not want to loose!
That's ridiculous. I mentioned it to the service rep at Cooper and they did it as part of my service without any hassle.

Hard to believe my car's already needing it's next service in a couple of months. Time flies.
2013 E89 35iS Mineral White
19" 326M | heated seats & wheel | pro nav & hifi | stubby

Gone: 2010 E89 23i Space Grey

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:08 pm

extrablatt wrote:
Angie4m wrote:
That's ridiculous. I mentioned it to the service rep at Cooper and they did it as part of my service without any hassle.

Hard to believe my car's already needing it's next service in a couple of months. Time flies.
I know. Hence why I'm not the biggest fan of the dealerships in my area. I doubt my car would be taken in this manner but two days after it made the watchdog program my other half had to go outside to ask there blokes who were standing around the car in a private car park if there was something he could help with, then then walked off. That was with a 120i E88 never mind the Z4 now.

The dealer I used to use was just kak really. Used to be a lot better when it was Dunedin but it was sold to Peter Vardy, grandson of Reg and it's a hell of a place. I actually have to ask them everytime to put a cover on the seats. They never do it and everytime they need to take the car and clean them to remove the dirty marks left.

Time flies when your having fun!
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring