Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Headlamp washers

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
awwalker

Re: Headlamp washers

Post by awwalker » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:45 pm

you know what.... I wouldn't bother, can't really see how it can wash off the crud without a wiper anyway!
20i msport auto,

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:49 pm

It's a MOT fail that's why I would like to bother. If I don't attend to it, it won't get better. I've never had an issue with any other headlamp washers, even my 2003 E46 still works perfectly.

I know they clean jack all really but if they are fitted they must be tested and if not working it's a fail
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:54 pm

Angie4m wrote:It's a MOT fail that's why I would like to bother. If I don't attend to it, it won't get better. I've never had an issue with any other headlamp washers, even my 2003 E46 still works perfectly.
Evening Angie4m - I took the fuse out of my Z4 headlamp washers as I got miffed off with the water spraying all over my shiney bonnet.

So, did you buy it new or 2nd hand, as if so the previous owner might have removed the fuse - every MOT it went for never showed up as a fail, so hope for us all though u a right it's an MOT failure
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:04 pm

Jembo wrote:
Angie4m wrote:It's a MOT fail that's why I would like to bother. If I don't attend to it, it won't get better. I've never had an issue with any other headlamp washers, even my 2003 E46 still works perfectly.
Evening Angie4m - I took the fuse out of my Z4 headlamp washers as I got miffed off with the water spraying all over my shiney bonnet.

So, did you buy it new or 2nd hand, as if so the previous owner might have removed the fuse - every MOT it went for never showed up as a fail, so hope for us all though u a right it's an MOT failure
I bought used from BMW at two years old and when I checked with them confirmed that they 'checked' the headlamp washers which I doubt, I did think maybe it was the fuse but no. I'm sure my local Indy isn't that bothered about checking them. Just a bit annoying but not as annoying as when they spray the bonnet. It's a no win :headbang:

I just don't like the dealers as each time my car has been returned it's been damaged in some way, washed even thought i ask them not to, once it was covered in muddy water marks and they always seem to use half a tank of fuel road testing it even when the item doesn't require road testing ie fixing a dodgy boot latch :thumbsdown:

Next time I'm buying new again....not that it solves much apart from I know how it's been treated and costs me a fortune as I do less than 2k a year at most. But the car was mint when I bought it, just like the one I traded.

Good to know yours have passed, given the amount of people with aftermarket xenon and HID kits going about its clear these aren't being checked as they should be a failure too.

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997

Still Shy and retiring

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:21 pm

The other reason I was curious was because the E46 does it every 3 sprays. I'm off work on Friday to get the tracking and alignment done so I'll have another bash at seeing if I get it to work. Might get it up and check filters etc. that's if I can stop driving it as I'm hoping for roof down weather for once!

Thank you for all your help guys, you are MUCH more helpful than a manual :thumbsup:

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997

Still Shy and retiring

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:21 am

Angie4m wrote:Issue I have is the car has done 500 miles since January mostly during the day and the weather has been kak up here, constantly raining so I've not had any real reason to use the headlamp washers so I thought I'd give them a go and nope, nothing. Strange there was little fluid in the bottle so I filled it.

Now thinking I should possibly siphon off the 6l of water and washer fluid I've put into the tank and fill it with warm water, take it a drive, siphon it off then try putting warm water around the system to maybe breakdown any kak. Failing that it's a trip to the stealers. I'm not a huge fan of the two I can use hence buying from another dealer in Newcastle and leaving it with them for a whole day fills me with dread.
My dealer gave me the warnings about non BMW screen wash additives some time ago!

I know many on here have said they have used alternatives without problems, but it makes you wonder if there may be some additives that do bung up the filters???
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:33 am

ronk wrote:
Angie4m wrote:Issue I have is the car has done 500 miles since January mostly during the day and the weather has been kak up here, constantly raining so I've not had any real reason to use the headlamp washers so I thought I'd give them a go and nope, nothing. Strange there was little fluid in the bottle so I filled it.

Now thinking I should possibly siphon off the 6l of water and washer fluid I've put into the tank and fill it with warm water, take it a drive, siphon it off then try putting warm water around the system to maybe breakdown any kak. Failing that it's a trip to the stealers. I'm not a huge fan of the two I can use hence buying from another dealer in Newcastle and leaving it with them for a whole day fills me with dread.
My dealer gave me the warnings about non BMW screen wash additives some time ago!

I know many on here have said they have used alternatives without problems, but it makes you wonder if there may be some additives that do bung up the filters???
You would think it was a scare tactic but I have read that mixing different solutions can cause this issue another reason I think I should siphon it off and start again as I only currently have bmw screen wash

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997

Still Shy and retiring

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Headlamp washers

Post by markeg » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:12 am

I heard that the cause is using surfactant products (usually the summer screen washes) rather than the alcohol-based products (usually winter washes). The gunk that fouls up the pumps and lines is, I believe, bacterial based; with winter mixes the alcohol will kill anything in there...but if there is bacterial growth, the residue will remain.

Personally, I have always used the Halfords "pink" brew in #108 and have done since I've owned her. There isn't any gunk in the bottle.

In my experience, garages (and I include dealers in this) also top up the screen wash with ionised water - I've certainly seen this happen ...
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

jimmybell

Post by jimmybell » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:35 am

Just to confirm it is an MOT fail if they don't spray "correctly".

It's a reasonably common problem, the lines get gunky or the filters do, meaning there's not enough pressure to raise the arms to spray. They're actually pretty easy to disassemble and clean.

Some arms also break (i had this), so need replacing. If you have warrantee it should be fine, but if not - do it yourself, its really not too hard, but it does involve bumper off and a part from Sopers @ Lincoln ;)
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
M135i LCI - ZF8, White, HK Audio, Adaptive
--
GONE Z4 M Coupe, Imola, CSLs
GONE C63 AMG, Black, Performance Pack+, LSD, HK

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:46 am

So the BMW fluid might not be that expensive in the long run if you take a garage job to clear the pipes??

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:13 am

After having seen the issues the E53 X5 owners had with non BMW cleaner in the washing bottle, I have bulk bought the BMW fluid. Smells better as well :)
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:32 pm

Cheers guys. Fingers crossed that this weekend is nice and I can have a look myself, if I can't see anything then I will take it to the dealers to deal with under warranty.

Oh and yes I've heard the BMW stuff smells quite nice, i've never noticed myelf. Might sniff the bottle again tonight :rofl:

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997

Still Shy and retiring

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:10 pm

Angie4m wrote:Cheers guys. Fingers crossed that this weekend is nice and I can have a look myself, if I can't see anything then I will take it to the dealers to deal with under warranty.

Oh and yes I've heard the BMW stuff smells quite nice, i've never noticed myelf. Might sniff the bottle again tonight :rofl:
Don't want to rain on your parade but the dealer said it wouldn't be a valid warranty claim due to non BMW approved product being used.

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:43 pm

ronk wrote:
Angie4m wrote:Cheers guys. Fingers crossed that this weekend is nice and I can have a look myself, if I can't see anything then I will take it to the dealers to deal with under warranty.

Don't want to rain on your parade but the dealer said it wouldn't be a valid warranty claim due to non BMW approved product being used.
Well they would need to prove it as I bought it in January from Lloyd Newcastle and only done 500 miles since purchase. Lloyd Newcastle have assured me that these washers were checks prior to pick up by me. I've only put in bmw washer fluid and evian water last week when I noticed they didn't work and it took about 4.8 litres of water so either they didn't check them or I've had a leak of quite a lot of fluid, which has subsequently cured itself :roll: . Highly doubt they were checked as I would have expected a lot more than 1.2 litres in a 6 litre tank.

As I only have BMW products for my car it's not me and if it turns out it wasn't covered I'd be taking them to court over their claims they checked them prior to pick up as I highly doubt they just stopped working given the little water there was in the tank, I would have thought there wasn't enought water to allow the pressure needed. Bit harsh but I didn't expect a approved car to have an issue like this. The car had been well kept and was immaculate but if it hadn't been for me wondering I would of never known until???? As I don't tend to drive at night and during the day the lights aren't on.

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997

Still Shy and retiring

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:36 pm

Please let us know the outcome!