Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bloody roof

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
matthurley

Bloody roof

Post by matthurley » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:55 pm

My roof is playing up again, ie doesn't fully open and close on one press of the button , gets most of the way then stops. Have to press roof button again for it to complete operation.
Had this problem late last year and bmw diagnosed a faulty sensor. I'm guessing there is more than one roof sensor so one of the other ones could have gone kaput.
I can't really be arsed taking it back to bmw again would necessitate two trip one for diagnosis one for repair.
Plus I'd have to take the smart top out which is a bit of a faff (otherwise it would void their previous repair)

Think I might live with it
Z4 30i Sdrive Space Grey/ Coral Red

ruggedscot

Re: Bloody roof

Post by ruggedscot » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:29 pm

Dont live with it as it gets worse.....

My Z4 the roof isnt working at all at present - gave me a scare as it stuck down and go fully up. The back section sat on top of the main roof refusing to swing back down. It did eventually and car has sat in drive. Its going into BMW under warranty to be checked out and resolved. Its a great car but the roof scares me.... if its going to be like this then well I may decided to sell it on. Ill wait and see what BMW says about it all.....

I cant even get into the boot just now.....
2009 Z4 23Sdrive heated red leather satellite navigation

ruggedscot

Post by ruggedscot » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:32 pm

so the nice people at eastern bmw have found a dodgy microswitch... hope to be back on the road in no time.....

Stark
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stark » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:39 pm

Guys had my car 3 years now and never a problem with roof. So don't worry. Just a small glitch I'm sure

matthurley

Post by matthurley » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:50 pm

There are 4 hall sensors and 8 microswitches in the boot so that's a lot to go wrong :)

zztop

Post by zztop » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:09 pm

And how many moving parts and sensors do you think the engine has and what sort of loads do you think it endures? Perhaps we should spend our time worrying about that instead of the roof...

matthurley

Post by matthurley » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:22 pm

zztop wrote:And how many moving parts and sensors do you think the engine has and what sort of loads do you think it endures? Perhaps we should spend our time worrying about that instead of the roof...

Haven't had any problems with my engine, had 2 with my roof in 8 months, hence a concern for me NOT for you

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:42 pm

matthurley wrote:There are 4 hall sensors and 8 microswitches in the boot so that's a lot to go wrong :)
That is a lot! :cry:
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

zztop

Post by zztop » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:34 pm

Eh? It wasn't a personal commentary, just a reflection on this forums' general lack of ease with the roof.

EDIT>

re-read my post and after many, many years of electronic communication I still get it wrong.

I apologise if my post appeared overly condemning, it was not intentional.

InvisibleName

Post by InvisibleName » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:42 pm

zztop wrote:Eh? It wasn't a personal commentary, just a reflection on this forums' general lack of ease with the roof.

EDIT>

re-read my post and after many, many years of electronic communication I still get it wrong.

I apologise if my post appeared overly condemning, it was not intentional.
Blimey, that's one of the best retractions of a comment I've ever read on here! That's the problem with electronic comms, easy to misinterpret!!
28i M Sport / auto / Mineral Grey - Walnut leather

ruggedscot

Post by ruggedscot » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:45 pm

1 switch and roof fixed enjoying my car now with a lot less roof anxiety issues lol