Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E89 35i remap

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
normantooh

Re: E89 35i remap

Post by normantooh » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:09 am

I had a Evolve map put on my 335i and I was really very happy with it, the service is also very good they offered to re flash the ECU again after I had to replace the ECU due to a unrelated issue.

SO8

Post by SO8 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:28 am

I was talking to my dealer about the power of my 35iS and he suggested DMS in Southampton - who I have used on my 330d once the warranty ended - without me even suggesting a remap!

I pointed out it may be a really good map but that BMW are going to look harder I guess it the whole engine or gearbox goes bang. He said they would !

My experience of DMS was superb with my 330d but even though they will remove the map prior to any work or when you sell the car I think there are many ways to interrogate bits to find out what timing was / boost pressure, etc.

DMS maps work within the safety parameters of the engine so it may be that their maps don't 'trigger' warnings / codes to be stored for excess torque, etc.

They had to open the ECU on my 330d and write the map direct to the chip as the newer ECU's can't be remapped via the OBD.

If you are going to remap I have used many companies and DMS were the best - but I would be vary about believing anyone who says the map is undetectable. Once 'off' the car like DMS do it may be very difficult to prove there had been a map on it - subject to what settings are 'reset'.

I, for one, will not be remapping the 35iS as I want no issues with a warranty claim - especially as the car has been back to the dealer twice in the first month of my ownership !
Current : BMW M240i Convertible in black and a Smart Fortwo diesel in white :)
Previous : BMW 35iS in Mineral White and an Mercedes AMG A45 in black

normantooh

Post by normantooh » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:01 am

yep, bmw never found out about the map on my 335i and they had to replace the high pressure fuel pump, ECP and many other bits.

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:31 pm

Well since my last post in this thread I went ahead and did an ECU remap. I did consider a piggyback unit but decided against it (I won't bore you with the details :) )

The stock power output is fine for a while but I'll always want more power :evil:

Went with the OpenFlash tablet from Procede Tuning. Worked out about £300 after shipping and taxes.

There are only two real options when it comes to ECU remaps with the n54 and both are US based. Cobb or Procede.
The Cobb unit is a fair bit more expensive and the guy behind Procede is called Shiv who is the godfather of n54 tuning so I decided to go with Procede.

I haven't yet been for a dyno but the map itself is working brilliantly. The logging function of the OpenFlash means you can see the timing advance, fuel trim and boost pressure to gauge the health of the tune.
It's holding 15psi with no fuel trim issues. I've compared it to logs from similar Cobb maps and it seems a lot smoother.

A few US posters at bimmerpost have done dyno runs with the Stage1 flash and have reported around 340-360 horsepower and the wheels. Which is 391-414HP at the crank. That's around the sort of figures people are getting from Cobb and the JB4 piggyback unit.

It certainly pulls a lot harder and with the DCT you very quickly end up doing stupid speeds. It's so smooth in delivery that you don't really appreciate it until you watch how fast the speedo moves!

SO8

Post by SO8 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:04 pm

R.E92 wrote:Well since my last post in this thread I went ahead and did an ECU remap. I did consider a piggyback unit but decided against it (I won't bore you with the details :) )

The stock power output is fine for a while but I'll always want more power :evil:

Went with the OpenFlash tablet from Procede Tuning. Worked out about £300 after shipping and taxes.

There are only two real options when it comes to ECU remaps with the n54 and both are US based. Cobb or Procede.
The Cobb unit is a fair bit more expensive and the guy behind Procede is called Shiv who is the godfather of n54 tuning so I decided to go with Procede.

I haven't yet been for a dyno but the map itself is working brilliantly. The logging function of the OpenFlash means you can see the timing advance, fuel trim and boost pressure to gauge the health of the tune.
It's holding 15psi with no fuel trim issues. I've compared it to logs from similar Cobb maps and it seems a lot smoother.

A few US posters at bimmerpost have done dyno runs with the Stage1 flash and have reported around 340-360 horsepower and the wheels. Which is 391-414HP at the crank. That's around the sort of figures people are getting from Cobb and the JB4 piggyback unit.

It certainly pulls a lot harder and with the DCT you very quickly end up doing stupid speeds. It's so smooth in delivery that you don't really appreciate it until you watch how fast the speedo moves!
Is it actually that easy to put the power down in the dry though ? is 1st now useless ? I am guessing 2nd upwards is epic but just how much does the traction control stop the power ?

KERMIT1970

Post by KERMIT1970 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:15 pm

Just watch with these remaps. My mate is warranty manager at local bmw dealer. 1st thing they do when cars go in for any work they put the car on the diagnostic machine, I traded our 335d in for our 640d got top money for it :D when it went into workshop for preparation for approved bmw sale it showed up that car had been remapped. Car went straight to auction. Oops ! my mate was telling me they get lots of cars in with warranty claims that get knocked back due to remaps. Be cautious folks. Sometimes they show goodwill with cars outwith warranty,but Not if there mapped. Won't be mapping anymore of mine ! Well that's what i'am telling the wife :D
Cars: 2016 M4 vert YMB & X3m Comp. E30 325i Sport. Z3M

Gone
: 2014 z4 35is melbourne red & black leather
: 335d M sport Coupe Black with red leather
: z4 Coupe 3.0 si Red with Black Leather 18" CSL`s
: z3 2.2 sport

SO8

Post by SO8 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:27 pm

KERMIT1970 wrote:Just watch with these remaps. My mate is warranty manager at local bmw dealer. 1st thing they do when cars go in for any work they put the car on the diagnostic machine, I traded our 335d in for our 640d got top money for it :D when it went into workshop for preparation for approved bmw sale it showed up that car had been remapped. Car went straight to auction. Oops ! my mate was telling me they get lots of cars in with warranty claims that get knocked back due to remaps. Be cautious folks. Sometimes they show goodwill with cars outwith warranty,but Not if there mapped. Won't be mapping anymore of mine ! Well that's what i'am telling the wife :D
Which is mine is staying standard ... at least until the warranty is out - but at 335bhp std I am happy :)

KERMIT1970

Post by KERMIT1970 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:34 pm

SO8 wrote:
KERMIT1970 wrote:Just watch with these remaps. My mate is warranty manager at local bmw dealer. 1st thing they do when cars go in for any work they put the car on the diagnostic machine, I traded our 335d in for our 640d got top money for it :D when it went into workshop for preparation for approved bmw sale it showed up that car had been remapped. Car went straight to auction. Oops ! my mate was telling me they get lots of cars in with warranty claims that get knocked back due to remaps. Be cautious folks. Sometimes they show goodwill with cars outwith warranty,but Not if there mapped. Won't be mapping anymore of mine ! Well that's what i'am telling the wife :D
Which is mine is staying standard ... at least until the warranty is out - but at 335bhp std I am happy :)
SO8 my 335d was amazing but ripped rear tyres to bits ! Wonder what my 35is would be like :evil:
Cars: 2016 M4 vert YMB & X3m Comp. E30 325i Sport. Z3M

Gone
: 2014 z4 35is melbourne red & black leather
: 335d M sport Coupe Black with red leather
: z4 Coupe 3.0 si Red with Black Leather 18" CSL`s
: z3 2.2 sport

SO8

Post by SO8 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:15 pm

KERMIT1970 wrote:
SO8 wrote:
Wonder what my 35is would be like :evil:
DMS say just over 400bhp :evil: ... as it is apparently slightly more tuneable than a 35i ...

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:08 pm

I have the same software they have and there are no codes to indicate a remap. Not even shadow codes.

I flash the DME back to stock before visits to the dealership.

I also have a smart top module that I have to de-activate. That one does throw a code if you leave it enabled. The BMW diagnostic software will tell you it was unable to connect to the roof module.

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:26 pm

SO8 wrote:
R.E92 wrote:Well since my last post in this thread I went ahead and did an ECU remap. I did consider a piggyback unit but decided against it (I won't bore you with the details :) )

Is it actually that easy to put the power down in the dry though ? is 1st now useless ? I am guessing 2nd upwards is epic but just how much does the traction control stop the power ?
First gear was useless before the remap. Hell first gear was useless in me 320d with a planted foot!

Third is where traction becomes less of an issue but the car is currently on some mid range junk tyres. Once I've got the PSS tyres that are sat in my garage fitted it will be stuck to the road a little better.
It's not all about planted foot speed gains though. The car just feels like it has more grunt in normal driving.

Regarding the remap to the 35is. I don't think the engine will map any higher at stage 1 than a 35i. The 35is has an uprated cooling system but no physical changes to the engine.
You might be able to skip installing additional cooling if you were to go for a stage 2 or 3 setup but you would still need to change the intake and exhaust to get any more from the engine.

The 35is gains it's extra power from the overboost function. Basically allowing slightly more boost for a short duration. If you remap the car they will just remove the overboost code and just let the boost max out permanently at 14-15psi.

jimmybell

Post by jimmybell » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:52 pm

Out of interest why not just get a jb4?
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
M135i LCI - ZF8, White, HK Audio, Adaptive
--
GONE Z4 M Coupe, Imola, CSLs
GONE C63 AMG, Black, Performance Pack+, LSD, HK

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:38 pm

jimmybell wrote:Out of interest why not just get a jb4?
The JB4 is OpenFlash tune are similar power figures and similar price.

The downside of the JB4 is that it is a pain to install and remove.

The JB4 is also a piggyback and from what I've read has no control over the timing of the engine. So it basically just relies on the ECU fail-safes to control timing.
Although the JB4 has proven to be just a reliable as a full remap I still don't like the fact it has no control over engine timing.

From what I understand the JB4 came about as a competitor to the Procede piggyback unit as a way of getting back at the creator (Shiv). There's plenty of historical drama about it on many of the n54 tuning forums. But basically Shiv was the guy who laid the foundations for n54 tuning and I have a lot of faith in his ability so I went for his current solution.

Different forums favour different solutions but the consensus across them all is that you can't go wrong with a JB4, Cobb or the OpenFlash maps.
There's also the option of using a BT cable to use your own laptop to write to the DME. For this solution you would need to buy a BT cable and also pay someone to write a custom map for you. That method is also a bit hit and miss from what I've read. Few people have bricked their DME.

SO8

Post by SO8 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:57 am

R.E92 wrote:
SO8 wrote:

Regarding the remap to the 35is. I don't think the engine will map any higher at stage 1 than a 35i. The 35is has an uprated cooling system but no physical changes to the engine.
You might be able to skip installing additional cooling if you were to go for a stage 2 or 3 setup but you would still need to change the intake and exhaust to get any more from the engine.

The 35is gains it's extra power from the overboost function. Basically allowing slightly more boost for a short duration. If you remap the car they will just remove the overboost code and just let the boost max out permanently at 14-15psi.
According to DMS there are differences on the inlet and exhaust + other things BMW have done that does allow them to go higher than the 35i. It is the same with the 1M. the normal N54 goes to about 370bhp whereas the 1M goes to 400 - thus the same with the 35iS. He didn't go further telling me what the differences were but said the last one he did was 402bhp. Evolve have also told me 395bhp so there is something there more than boost.

My 330d LCI was reputed to be exactly the same engine as the 'newer' 325d LCI. DMS told me there were differences. Mine mapped to 305bhp, another forum members same age 325d mapped to 285bhp.

DMS were very specific that it goes higher than a 35i.

Still staying standard for me though ... for now :roll:

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:08 am

I think the 35is exhaust varies only in the plumbing within the muffler. I don't think the restriction is any different.

The air intake is the same part number on the 35i as it is on the 35is. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?part=13717582927

Remaps on identical vehicles can vary wildly. There was a topic recently in the 335i section of bimmerpost where a chap with a 2007 335i hit 419whp at the dyno. That's 480hp at the crank!
Most people with his mods would expect to get around 430 at the crank.

One reason I think tunes vary so much between cars in the different DME versions our cars have. There's 10 different versions out there for the N54 and each have some major differences.

Here's a chart of the different revisions.

With the 325d and the 330d the remap potential will vary as supposedly the injectors are different. With the 35i and 35is they have exactly the same injectors (#13538616079)

The 1M will remap to the same power outputs as any other n54.