Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Headlight adjustment for driving on the continent

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Baza

Re: Headlight adjustment for driving on the continent

Post by Baza » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:49 pm

Assume as this E89 forum you are post 2009. Having checked my own car and spoken to the dealer,it appears there is no way to easily adjust the beam angle so on my trips to the south of France I did nothing. As i did not drive at night i cannot comment on whether my lights would be a problem to other drivers .I agree with previous comments that as the vehicle is low and the beam is flat I do not think it would be a problem.But if concerned then the stick on beam converters would be the only way to go.
Panther Kallista 2.8
S Drive 3.0i E89 2009 Space Grey Coral red Int 18" 295 wheels

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:14 am

As I said. I've got the tech sheet from BMW to say how each BMW model should be adapted for continental compliance.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Jabberwocky

Post by Jabberwocky » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:28 pm

For what its worth in this long conversation (I hope I am not too late!) my '11 plate 2.3i sDrive (with xenons) has the levers that are ref in the E85 handbook - see pic in following thread.
http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... 0&start=30

For what its also worth my BMW dealer was no help when I tried to find out back in 2012. It was a chap in his zed behind me in the ferry queue in Portsmouth who, after seeing me putting deflector pads on the lenses, came up to me and said "if you have Xenons you have the levers". He was right!!
Rik

Deep Sea Blue - E89-Z4 sDrive 2.3i - '11 plate - 293 wheels - plus a few toys! (one of the last 2.5's to be imported to UK)

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:32 pm

Does it also have the trap doors in the wheel arch?

Jabberwocky

Post by Jabberwocky » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:51 pm

Yep, easy to remove too.
Rik

Deep Sea Blue - E89-Z4 sDrive 2.3i - '11 plate - 293 wheels - plus a few toys! (one of the last 2.5's to be imported to UK)

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:57 pm

I'm going to look tomorrow!
I can't remember seeing any tho :(

The tech data sheet fro BMW does state beam benders - it lists all models include the range and the requirement of levers / benders- I'm confused now.

Jabberwocky

Post by Jabberwocky » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:23 am

ronk wrote:I'm going to look tomorrow!
I can't remember seeing any tho :(

The tech data sheet fro BMW does state beam benders - it lists all models include the range and the requirement of levers / benders- I'm confused now.
My own view is that BMW are confused as my local dealer told me my car did not have these levers. I would take photos for you but I cant get a camera in there. The best I can do for you is a photo of the access doors in the wheel arches. Here you go.....
For me if BMW are in a situation of uncertainty on this point, for what ever reason, the default for them must be use benders - it covers all.
Hope this helps.
Rik

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:03 pm

I've just been into the garage and had a look!

Yes mine also has those little trapdoors but as my car is put away for the winter I cant access them to have a peep inside.

Maxwood

Post by Maxwood » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:08 am

I took my 2009 35i to the BMW service centre to ask how I adjust the lights as I couldn't find the lever mentioned in the manual. He parked my car in front of a wall and showed me that it has no left/right kick up, he described this to me as flat beam technology. No need to do anything to drive abroad. He said in the 2009s some had it some don't but they all got the same manual.

Baza

Post by Baza » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:33 pm

Well you live and learn ,Checked my wheel arches and yes there are the trapdoors. As to whether there are any levers behind is another question. Come the summer when it warms up I will investigate,but it sounds hopeful. Thanks Jabberwoky.
Panther Kallista 2.8
S Drive 3.0i E89 2009 Space Grey Coral red Int 18" 295 wheels

w1ndsurfnut

Post by w1ndsurfnut » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:05 pm

My Z4 is a 2003 2.5 auto and it definately has the levers. As I have just used them to get it registered and control techniqued ( French MOT ). Normally when we have imported cars i have had to replace the headlights. But this time I was able to set the levers and it went through without any questions. Once you have removed the trap doors, you need to release the spring loaded bar that holds the cover over the bulb units. Once you have removed this, you will find a lever to the side of the main bulb. When you adjust the lever it just flattens the light beam. So instead of the beam kicking up on one side. Its totally flat. hope this helps.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:13 pm

w1ndsurfnut wrote:My Z4 is a 2003 2.5 auto and it definately has the levers. As I have just used them to get it registered and control techniqued ( French MOT ). Normally when we have imported cars i have had to replace the headlights. But this time I was able to set the levers and it went through without any questions. Once you have removed the trap doors, you need to release the spring loaded bar that holds the cover over the bulb units. Once you have removed this, you will find a lever to the side of the main bulb. When you adjust the lever it just flattens the light beam. So instead of the beam kicking up on one side. Its totally flat. hope this helps.

Yes, E85 is not a problem !