Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

SmartTop finally ordered... Now Installed.. Dangerously!

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
mattstav

Re: SmartTop finally ordered... Now Installed.. Dangerously!

Post by mattstav » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:15 pm

sunny here at the moment, plus all my neighbours are out so i've just parked sideways under the car port for easy access :D
2010 Z4 23i SDrive, Auto, Black Saphire, Pure White Interior Package, Stubby, SmartTop and LCI Repeaters

InvisibleName

Post by InvisibleName » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:43 pm

mattstav wrote:It's install day for the Smarttop!! Please don't rain!
Sorted? (Shouldn't take more than 30 minutes start-to-finish)
28i M Sport / auto / Mineral Grey - Walnut leather

mattstav

Post by mattstav » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:03 pm

I've got it all plugged in but can't find a home for the housing
2010 Z4 23i SDrive, Auto, Black Saphire, Pure White Interior Package, Stubby, SmartTop and LCI Repeaters

mattstav

Post by mattstav » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:05 pm

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:22 pm

You'll have to rearrange the wiring to get the plug to sit somewhere as there's not much lead on that. Then run the control box to behind the boot trim/wing. I don't have PDC so I have a nice space there to tuck all mine in.

mattstav

Post by mattstav » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:44 pm

i've had to give up and come inside and dial into a meeting. thought i would take it all out and try again another day but it seems the smart bracket that plugs into the car is broken and can't be removed :headbang: not quite sure what to do now, hopefully taking it in next week to have bmw change the rear light on that side so i need to get it out!

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:58 pm

Are you certain the bracket that secures the plug into the roof module is fully pushed into place? It could just need some gentle encouragement. The type of clip/bracket ensures that when pushed fully down the plug is pulled into the socket making a better connection. It should be possible to just pop the top of the clip away from the notch in the plug to allow you to swing it back up and the plug will come out. Get some extra light in there to see what you're doing and you'll see the notch that the clip must be prised (gently) over before it can swing up. Its fairly straight forward provided you take your time and be gentle.. oh and don't have keys in your pocket to make the car try and crush you.

kat

Re: SmartTop finally ordered...

Post by kat » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:07 pm

Maniac wrote:
Taz x wrote:smarttop?
A device that adds features to the convertible top. One touch use, allows use up to 25mph and a few more bits...

watching those videos almost makes me want an E39! really smart. :fuelfire:

2007 Z4 2.5si Sport in the best possible colour.

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:13 pm

kat wrote:
Maniac wrote:
A device that adds features to the convertible top. One touch use, allows use up to 25mph and a few more bits...

What it makes you want an old 5 series? I think you mean E89 :poke:
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

mattstav

Post by mattstav » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:41 pm

Well it works I just can't get it back together again or remove it

mattstav

Post by mattstav » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:05 pm

Maniac wrote:Are you certain the bracket that secures the plug into the roof module is fully pushed into place? It could just need some gentle encouragement. The type of clip/bracket ensures that when pushed fully down the plug is pulled into the socket making a better connection. It should be possible to just pop the top of the clip away from the notch in the plug to allow you to swing it back up and the plug will come out. Get some extra light in there to see what you're doing and you'll see the notch that the clip must be prised (gently) over before it can swing up. Its fairly straight forward provided you take your time and be gentle.. oh and don't have keys in your pocket to make the car try and crush you.
It looks as though it has been removed one too many times in its life and the mechanism on it has worn away so now it is stuck in there. Really don't know what to do - it's in there working but I can't return any of the trim

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:35 pm

When you say you can't get the trim back is that because its fouling on something? If it were me I'd just find a way to conceal it all and put it back together, leave it in there, you can disable it from the indicator stalk if you need to take the car in for warranty work and the only time they might discover it is if they took the boot apart.

mad4slalom

Post by mad4slalom » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:40 pm

Taz wrote:smarttop?
glad you asked taz , was trying to work out wtf a smart top is :cry: some one will enlighten us soon i hope :thumbsup:

mattstav

Post by mattstav » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:41 pm

it's because the joint where the existing cable joins the smarttop is sitting proud so i can't get the trim back. I have PDC so unfortunately i don't have the empty void that you have. i think tomorrow i'll try to remove the trim to the side and store it in there but too dark now.

mad4slalom

Post by mad4slalom » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:44 pm

kat wrote:
Maniac wrote:

very cool ,... dont reccomend it under devils arch between tresillian and truro tho !!! :cry: