Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Importing parts from abroad cost?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
sunnydays

Post by sunnydays » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:33 pm

Hey,

Found some parts cheaper over in the USA, and tempted to buy. How ever will i get hit with UK import tax and vat making it pointless to import?

The store says I should not have to pay additional charges but im not sure how clued up they are on UK import procedures?

Any ideas guys

Thanks!

Post by sticky » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:02 pm

Imports from outside the EU has import costs regardless what the seller says, if bought as used parts then its cheaper, as per invoice

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:36 pm

You can ask the seller to mark the package as a gift, that way no duty is payable.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:13 pm

Any item over around £18 is subject to import tax at 20% if I recall correctly.

Ebay USA have an arrangement where import tax is paid at the time of purchase otherwise you get a request for payment to the carrier (on behalf of HMRC) when you item lands in the UK. You just have to work out how much the parts will really cost with duty and tax.

Baza

Post by Baza » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:19 pm

I believe the import duty for spare parts bought from the states is 10% plus clearance costs by the importer/courier which in the case of Fed ex will be £12.00 . But you also have to factor in VAT at 20% on the total . Although having said that I bought some items from the states and was not charged any duty only VAT +costs ,needless to say I didn't ask why.
Panther Kallista 2.8
S Drive 3.0i E89 2009 Space Grey Coral red Int 18" 295 wheels