Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Moving up to an E89, which one?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:09 am

The 28 is certainly an odd one in the range price wise. Early 35is ive been looking at 10-11 plates are usually cheaper than the 28 and 35i is the same. Finding a 28 without a completely basic spec is also difficult as again at purchase the 35i was a much more appealing package for not much more. They seem to have a premium for no reason. The tune on them also makes me wonder about longevity and how reliable they will be.

The 35IS seems like a great buy on paper near enough 1m engine which is the best sounding turbo BMW IMO with the DCT from the E92 (although not quite as aggressive) great recipe, then you realise its like 1550kg and the eyebrows raise.

Depends what you want it for. I used to have an M coupe when I in my early 20s and every night after work would drive it up and round Lake Ulswater and over Kirkston Pass or bomb up Hartside pass and for that it was a fantastic car. Which was what I bought it for to have some fun and these roads were 2-3 miles from my home. I also had a Mini cooper S that would do the more laborious runs which i also loved for different reasons.

ImageFamily Cars, Mini Cooper S, BMW Z4M, Porsche 911 Cs by Tom Scott, on Flickr

ImageBMW Z4M Coupe, Ulswater Boat house, Cumbria by Tom Scott, on Flickr

Duke of Portland Boathouse on Ullswater.

Was a bit of a nutter really used to do it all times of the year, heres the struggle over Kirkston. The road was closed and was about -5 :rofl:

ImageBMW Z4Mc Kirkston Pass by Tom Scott, on Flickr

you can see the ice in this one

Not much further on, Honister Pass

ImageIMG_4751-Edit by Tom Scott, on Flickr

TBH if I still lived there I would definitely buying another one.

Now im a bit older and have moved to Manchester these type of roads are a bit too far away to have a bit of a fun hoon after work, except maybe the Yorkshire moors. I also now have SWIMBO to think of and do a lot of motorway miles and do the odd road trip and usually a eurotrip every 2 years. I want her to get into the scene with me and I dont think the getrag M gearbox is a particularly good starting point and enough to put a lot of people off. Have to think of my own health too... I think my heart would be pounding every time she change gear :rofl:

I have to be honest I was in the strongly dislike camp of the e89 when I had the M, apart from its looks. To me it seemed like a 3 series with two seats, similar weight, similar engine choices, pretty numb for the driver, no room with the roof down making it a poor tourer etc etc and thought why would you buy these over a 3?

Well as times change opinions change, the E89 is a far nicer place to be. So so much more refined than the E85/6 one of my main complaints about the previous car is the poor construction and materials of the interior, creaking and rattling all the time and wasn't really overly luxurious which made the car tiring to drive over long distances.

I also have to be honest with myself in my head a gt4 would be perfect but in reality 95% of my driving time is spent on normal roads, motorways, in the city, A roads and probably 5% where a sports car belongs. So a hardcore road car just isnt practical and a smooth quick GT is a great compromise. It will do the job of the 5% ok maybe not as well but it is at least 50% better at a road car than the M is although I really do love them. Mine was super crashy, you can feel everything through the steering wheel and you bum which is exactly what you want 5% of the time but get boring super quick the rest of the time.

The gear box opinion is an interesting one. From driving both the DCT just seems perfect for these turbo cars. The manual is perfectly fine too but it doesn't feel to me like a particularly great instrument its not really that engaging or enjoyable its just a manual it does the job but isnt something I would call a fantastic must have gearbox, on the other hand you can feel in complete control all the time. The DCT on the other hand is probably one of the best BMW has ever made and although a manual would be my preferred the DCT is just too good to miss on these cars I think.

Everyone has their different wants and needs and as time and situations change opinions and needs change. Just a shame the E89 was stuck in this particular pigeon hole. If they made an M we would be having a completely different conversation.

Man the e89 with the V8 DCT would have been a very unique and appealing car indeed. On the other hand the N54 has a much better power curve and would be toe to toe with an E92.

Probably why they didnt make it.

Marekdawg

Post by Marekdawg » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:11 am

enzed4 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:01 am
Poltergeist1966 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:06 am

The 3.0ltr is definately not boring, and is a good compromise between ripping the tarmac up, and not setting fire to the contents of your wallet!!!!

I have mainly driven auto's in the past, but would also vouch for the 6 spd manual box, but only if you remove the CDV first - the experience is a bag of s**t otherwise!!
Well, you've certainly sold me on the idea :thumbsup: - those thoughts are exactly what I would be hoping for.
Do it enzed, you wont regret it! I certainly haven't! :P :driving:
Silver E89 Sdrive30I Msport. Black roof and other bits. :D :driving:

Marekdawg

Post by Marekdawg » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:22 am

Chris22091966 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:13 pm I’ve tested an E89 and there’s more space in the cockpit.
Any advice, tips great fully received.
Regards
Chris
Hi Chris, Obviously you are going to get a lot of opinions and all (mostly) are a great help! :fuelfire:
But end of the day its going to be your choice.
But anyway, here's my thoughts... I'm about 6'3 and my old man is 6'5, its always going to be a bit of a squeeze for the tall lads, but we fit nicely into my E89 3.0i Msport. Either him or myself driving and together with room to be comfortable.
Bucket loads of power when you want it, and not super thirsty for the motion lotion. I don't know if I imagined it but I tried a 2.0 Msport and seemed to think there was more room in the 3.0... no idea if there is any fact behind that :lol:
Silver E89 Sdrive30I Msport. Black roof and other bits. :D :driving:

EssexZed

Post by EssexZed » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:56 am

tomscott wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:09 am The 28 is certainly an odd one in the range price wise. Early 35is ive been looking at 10-11 plates are usually cheaper than the 28 and 35i is the same. Finding a 28 without a completely basic spec is also difficult as again at purchase the 35i was a much more appealing package for not much more. They seem to have a premium for no reason. The tune on them also makes me wonder about longevity and how reliable they will be.

The 35IS seems like a great buy on paper near enough 1m engine which is the best sounding turbo BMW IMO with the DCT from the E92 (although not quite as aggressive) great recipe, then you realise its like 1550kg and the eyebrows raise.

Depends what you want it for. I used to have an M coupe when I in my early 20s and every night after work would drive it up and round Lake Ulswater and over Kirkston Pass or bomb up Hartside pass and for that it was a fantastic car. Which was what I bought it for to have some fun and these roads were 2-3 miles from my home. I also had a Mini cooper S that would do the more laborious runs which i also loved for different reasons.

ImageFamily Cars, Mini Cooper S, BMW Z4M, Porsche 911 Cs by Tom Scott, on Flickr

ImageBMW Z4M Coupe, Ulswater Boat house, Cumbria by Tom Scott, on Flickr

Duke of Portland Boathouse on Ullswater.

Was a bit of a nutter really used to do it all times of the year, heres the struggle over Kirkston. The road was closed and was about -5 :rofl:

you can see the ice in this one

Not much further on, Honister Pass

ImageIMG_4751-Edit by Tom Scott, on Flickr

TBH if I still lived there I would definitely buying another one.

Now im a bit older and have moved to Manchester these type of roads are a bit too far away to have a bit of a fun hoon after work, except maybe the Yorkshire moors. I also now have SWIMBO to think of and do a lot of motorway miles and do the odd road trip and usually a eurotrip every 2 years. I want her to get into the scene with me and I dont think the getrag M gearbox is a particularly good starting point and enough to put a lot of people off. Have to think of my own health too... I think my heart would be pounding every time she change gear :rofl:

I have to be honest I was in the strongly dislike camp of the e89 when I had the M, apart from its looks. To me it seemed like a 3 series with two seats, similar weight, similar engine choices, pretty numb for the driver, no room with the roof down making it a poor tourer etc etc and thought why would you buy these over a 3?

Well as times change opinions change, the E89 is a far nicer place to be. So so much more refined than the E85/6 one of my main complaints about the previous car is the poor construction and materials of the interior, creaking and rattling all the time and wasn't really overly luxurious which made the car tiring to drive over long distances.

I also have to be honest with myself in my head a gt4 would be perfect but in reality 95% of my driving time is spent on normal roads, motorways, in the city, A roads and probably 5% where a sports car belongs. So a hardcore road car just isnt practical and a smooth quick GT is a great compromise. It will do the job of the 5% ok maybe not as well but it is at least 50% better at a road car than the M is although I really do love them. Mine was super crashy, you can feel everything through the steering wheel and you bum which is exactly what you want 5% of the time but get boring super quick the rest of the time.

The gear box opinion is an interesting one. From driving both the DCT just seems perfect for these turbo cars. The manual is perfectly fine too but it doesn't feel to me like a particularly great instrument its not really that engaging or enjoyable its just a manual it does the job but isnt something I would call a fantastic must have gearbox, on the other hand you can feel in complete control all the time. The DCT on the other hand is probably one of the best BMW has ever made and although a manual would be my preferred the DCT is just too good to miss on these cars I think.

Everyone has their different wants and needs and as time and situations change opinions and needs change. Just a shame the E89 was stuck in this particular pigeon hole. If they made an M we would be having a completely different conversation.

Man the e89 with the V8 DCT would have been a very unique and appealing car indeed. On the other hand the N54 has a much better power curve and would be toe to toe with an E92.

Probably why they didnt make it.
Great insight and good honest opinion :thumbsup: The pics of those roads! Wish I had roads like that on my doorstep :driving:

Gaffa22

Post by Gaffa22 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:23 am

Just go for a 35i or 35iS you will appreciate the grin factor.
Sod the expense you only live once, so have what you enjoy the most. :D
2010 E89 35i DCT
2017 Honda CBR1000RR fireblade
2016 Honda VFR1200F

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:34 am

Marekdawg wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:22 am
. I don't know if I imagined it but I tried a 2.0 Msport and seemed to think there was more room in the 3.0... no idea if there is any fact behind that :lol:
I would think that you have imagined it, I doubt they are different. I am 6'2" and have noticed that there can be quite a bit of difference in room just depending on a slight change of seat position.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:50 am

EssexZed wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:56 am Great insight and good honest opinion :thumbsup: The pics of those roads! Wish I had roads like that on my doorstep :driving:
I was very lucky.

If you haven't done one of the forum runs then the Cumbria National Run is THE one to do. You do all of those plus the Yorkshire moors on the Sunday. Absolutely fantastic weekend and a really good show of cars and lovely people.

Great driving and scenery = great Z weekend away.

Couple of albums from the years I went

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjAxuEPy

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjGMJ2F1

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjZfZDDi

Another very wet meet me and another Member Ste organised which was a smaller version of the national.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjJdFJ9h

EssexZed

Post by EssexZed » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:34 pm

tomscott wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:50 am
EssexZed wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:56 am Great insight and good honest opinion :thumbsup: The pics of those roads! Wish I had roads like that on my doorstep :driving:
I was very lucky.

If you haven't done one of the forum runs then the Cumbria National Run is THE one to do. You do all of those plus the Yorkshire moors on the Sunday. Absolutely fantastic weekend and a really good show of cars and lovely people.

Great driving and scenery = great Z weekend away.

Couple of albums from the years I went

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjAxuEPy

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjGMJ2F1

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjZfZDDi

Another very wet meet me and another Member Ste organised which was a smaller version of the national.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjJdFJ9h

Cheers, will definitely look to do that run :thumbsup: More great pics, thanks for sharing :D

Kugaman1

Post by Kugaman1 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:12 pm

Nictrix wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:34 am
Marekdawg wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:22 am
. I don't know if I imagined it but I tried a 2.0 Msport and seemed to think there was more room in the 3.0... no idea if there is any fact behind that :lol:
I would think that you have imagined it, I doubt they are different. I am 6'2" and have noticed that there can be quite a bit of difference in room just depending on a slight change of seat position.
Having just traded in a 2009 SE against a 2013 M Sport, I feel there is slightly less room in the Msport. There maybe isn’t, but it feels that way due to the Msport seats being more bolstered and having the seat base tilt...... that certainly makes a big difference!

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:45 pm

I was reading up on the 3.0i last night, and one thing I can't seem to get confirmation on - do all of the M-sport versions of the E89 come with adaptive suspension, or was it still an option that had to be specced as extra? Just asking as I like the M-sport bits but not the adaptive suspension.
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:47 pm

enzed4 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:45 pm I was reading up on the 3.0i last night, and one thing I can't seem to get confirmation on - do all of the M-sport versions of the E89 come with adaptive suspension, or was it still an option that had to be specced as extra? Just asking as I like the M-sport bits but not the adaptive suspension.
I think the 35is had it as standard but on the other models it was an option?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:11 pm

TONYL wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:04 pm If you want a 3 ltr manual let me know
Ive got one sat in my garage that never gets used...grand kids!
Easy solution, trade in the grand kids :rofl:
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:41 pm

As your E85 was an auto and you haven’t specified any particular gearbox I’d go for a 35i or IS with DCT, you’ll be amazed at the difference to the E85 auto, it’s on a different planet. As Tomscott says the E89 is a great GT car, it’s no sports car but it does it’s job very very well on non run flats and like him I think the DCT suits the heavy 3.0 twin blower E89 very well. For day to day running and touring it’s fantastic, but if you like a pure blast around twisty roads it’s lacking the thrill of a lighter manual car. As always horses for courses. Best of luck. :thumbsup:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Gaffa22

Post by Gaffa22 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:40 pm

john-e89 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:41 pm As Tomscott says the E89 is a great GT car, it’s no sports car but it does it’s job very very well on non run flats and like him I think the DCT suits the heavy 3.0 twin blower E89 very well. For day to day running and touring it’s fantastic,
Bang on the money John
2010 E89 35i DCT
2017 Honda CBR1000RR fireblade
2016 Honda VFR1200F