Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

3.5iS- will this be a classic?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:41 pm

Zed Five wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:59 pm
Yep. Plus, take out the undesirable colours like red, orange, white and yellow and the rest of us will be quids in.
What do you mean, you've just taken out all the colours which only leaves the silver/grey/black options which aren't actually colours anyway (just shades of shite) !
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:45 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:41 pm
Zed Five wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:59 pm
Yep. Plus, take out the undesirable colours like red, orange, white and yellow and the rest of us will be quids in.
What do you mean, you've just taken out all the colours which only leaves the silver/grey/black options which aren't actually colours anyway (just shades of shite) !
:lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :thumbsup:

That made me chuckle proper that did Mr T. :thumbsup:

sunnydays

Post by sunnydays » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:45 pm

GuidoK wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:33 pm
sunnydays wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:49 am Only around 400 in the UK, meanwhile thousands of Z4Ms.
Thousends of z4m's in the uk?!?
Are you drunk? :lol:
There are currently 862 z4m's registred on UK roads....
sunnydays wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:49 am The E89 is faster ... and round the track.
You have any real data to back up that claim?
Like an independant test by a pro/compentent driver on a track with the same tyres?
(so a lap time set in 2006 and a lap time set in 2014 has no real meaning as tyre technology has come a long long way)
Apologies mixed up the global figures with UK. Irregardless its still double the amount.

Track tests and times by pro drivers below: (I can only assume they used stock tyres, ie run flats on the 35is). Cars are tested in stock production form for fair comparison typically.
Last edited by sunnydays on Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

sunnydays

Post by sunnydays » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:47 pm

Burgy100 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:48 pm So everyone agrees it's NOT going to be a classic, but they are going to be rare as rocking horse poo as only 435 3.5is have been registered. Correct?
Yes, may one day be much more desirable too

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:43 am

sunnydays wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:47 pmes, may one day be much more desirable too
I can see you have a vested interest sunnydays - but I hope they do become sought after! Pretty rare cars after all - who knows?
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:12 am

sunnydays wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:45 pm
Track tests and times by pro drivers below
How do you know? any proof of that?
(I can only assume they used stock tyres, ie run flats on the 35is).
Cars are tested in stock production form for fair comparison typically.

You dont even have dates on when those times where set. Like I said if one time is of 2007 and the other one from 2014 the change in tyre tech is enormous.
There is also no indication or notes about track conditions etc.

You see where I'm getting to?
To lay an important (or at least outspoken) claim like that to have any real life meaning there are a lot of variables to be determined.
Its not as easy as some fact like how many are there on the road registred, as that truely is a number that is very easily verified (in the UK at least)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:23 am

Would anyone care to guess exactly how many f*cks I give about whether a 35is is faster than my car ? This whole conversation has turned into a waste of internet.

The 35is may become sought after in the future, after all at one time the e30 was just another 3 series. The e85 Ms may become classics because of that engine being the last NA straight 6 M engine, the Bangle design heritage, the 'raw' driving experience and their rarity. And it's generally acknowledged that the MC will get there first - the Z3 M coupe market is a good indicator.

However the e89 will not become a classic because it *might* be faster in the right hands, is a bit comfier and has a few more toys than the M. That's a ridiculous assertion and is a misuse of forum server space.

JMO, of course :D
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

sunnydays

Post by sunnydays » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:40 am

GuidoK wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:12 am
sunnydays wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:45 pm
Track tests and times by pro drivers below
(I can only assume they used stock tyres, ie run flats on the 35is).
Cars are tested in stock production form for fair comparison typically.

You dont even have dates on when those times where set. Like I said if one time is of 2007 and the other one from 2014 the change in tyre tech is enormous.
There is also no indication or notes about track conditions etc.

You see where I'm getting to?
To lay an important (or at least outspoken) claim like that to have any real life meaning there are a lot of variables to be determined.
Its not as easy as some fact like how many are there on the road registred, as that truely is a number that is very easily verified (in the UK at least)
Ultimately this is the data we have for any sort of indication of performance. It is typically standard procedure to test cars in stock form round tracks when measuring there performance. Ie the production version, thus why the 2016 Honda Type R time round the ring was removed at one point (using non production tyres) and many others have had the same fate. Its unreallistic to expect these cars to be tested on the latest tyres, its production car vs production car. Stock vs stock, and I understand what you are saying regarding track conditions etc, unfortunately there is not much data for the 35is, but the results I have seen are faster than the Z4M. It should come as no surpise that the newer car outperforms the older model. We can only go by the data we have and logical analysis. Its likely that the new G29 range topping Z4 will spank the 35is, its natural progression in cars. It just irks me more than anything when I see Z4M owners proclaiming that the Z4M is a track warrior and refuting the fact the 35is is a higher performing car. Both are good cars dont get me wrong, but the Z4M seems to have this strange following in which its owners seem to think because its an 'M' that it is faster than the new Z4.

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:09 am

Bing wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:23 am Would anyone care to guess exactly how many f*cks I give about whether a 35is is faster than my car ?
Let's attempt to calculate that for you....
[IMG]http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv72 ... LLIGAF.gif[/IMG]

:wink:
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

MattHall91

Post by MattHall91 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:24 am

PerryGunn wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:09 am
Bing wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:23 am Would anyone care to guess exactly how many f*cks I give about whether a 35is is faster than my car ?

:rofl:
Now: Diseasal company cars (for now)
Gone: Z4 Coupe 3.0si - Montego Blue

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:34 am

Perfect, as ever Mr P :thumbsup:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

chasBMW

Post by chasBMW » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:31 pm

Bing wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:23 am Would anyone care to guess exactly how many f*cks I give about whether a 35is is faster than my car ? This whole conversation has turned into a waste of internet.

The 35is may become sought after in the future, after all at one time the e30 was just another 3 series. The e85 Ms may become classics because of that engine being the last NA straight 6 M engine, the Bangle design heritage, the 'raw' driving experience and their rarity. And it's generally acknowledged that the MC will get there first - the Z3 M coupe market is a good indicator.

However the e89 will not become a classic because it *might* be faster in the right hands, is a bit comfier and has a few more toys than the M. That's a ridiculous assertion and is a misuse of forum server space.

I think this is spot on
Valencia Orange 35is now gone but well remembered now Porsche Boxster GTS

sunnydays

Post by sunnydays » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:07 pm

chasBMW wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:31 pm
Bing wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:23 am Would anyone care to guess exactly how many f*cks I give about whether a 35is is faster than my car ? This whole conversation has turned into a waste of internet.

I think this is spot on
Yes that is a ridiculous assertion, and whats even more ridiculous is no one here ever said that?
Not sure where you got that from lol.....

Paulr

Post by Paulr » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:18 pm

Bing wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:34 am

Perfect, as ever Mr P :thumbsup:
Brilliant! :rofl:

Anyway, my wife has a VW Up that will be a future classic in 2040 and is much faster than a 35 or an M at 48mph, and quicker around corners. Certainly feels it anyway.

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:43 pm

I have had both..

The 35is is faster...but it doesnt really matter in this context..

But anything that bmw sells in low volume finally becomes collectable,if you have the time to wait..