Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Does anyone have experience with

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Z4Rick

Post by Z4Rick » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:55 pm

Racechip performance chips?
They seem a simpler answer to HP enhancement without changing ECU settings and is invisible to the dealers.
Once unplugged and removed, the car remains at series configuration. It doesnt have the control over every aspect of the powerplant the way a remap does, but the nearest speed shop to me with BMW experience is 350 miles, and I don't need max performance, but just an edge over 3 35is cars I race with occasionally. I may actually remove the chip when not on the track. I'm hoping to get some opinions from actual owners.
https://www.racechip.com

hopz121
Lifer
Lifer

Post by hopz121 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:59 pm

This isn't invisible to dealers by the way just so you are aware.... I wouldn't be putting one of these on my pride and joy either, id go and find a decent tuning shop and have a proper ECU remap done but its your car so its up to you. :)
2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Manual - Silver Grey
2017 BMW F31 318d M-Sport - Auto - Glacier Silver
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 - Manual - Arctic Silver
2003 Renault Clio 172 Cup - Blue
2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i - Gone
2008 BMW E90 330i SE - Gone

Z4Rick

Post by Z4Rick » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:09 pm

How so? It requires no reflashing, is a simple plug between existing halves of an existing plug, and they insist once removed, it is invisible??

ibroker

Post by ibroker » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:08 pm

hopz121 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:59 pm This isn't invisible to dealers by the way just so you are aware.... I wouldn't be putting one of these on my pride and joy either, id go and find a decent tuning shop and have a proper ECU remap done but its your car so its up to you. :)
The OP asked a genuine question and you come out all guns blazing.

A little less agression and a little more fact??
Z4 35is Valencia Orange. Custom Quad Exhausts Custom 400hp Remap. :evil:

brittas

Post by brittas » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:39 pm

Don't plug in/piggy back chips fool your sensors with false readings allowing more air/fuel boost?A remap done properly is definitely the way I am going .
I will be using P Torque in Wolverhampton . They did a cracking job on a previous car I had.

Z4Rick

Post by Z4Rick » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:02 pm

I don't want to get into a debate where people have entrenched views of what is "right". I am interested in hearing actual experiance. In truth, here in the USA, one rarely hears of re-maping unless they are racers. I think this is due to the inability of speed shops and re-maping shops to survive anyplace but near big cities. From all I read, "Chips" reign - on both American and import cars. If a simple plug in that any idiot can do, (Me!), accomplishes most of what a remap does - safely, I might give it serious thought. Again, from my reading Chips tend to work best on engines that are detuned or operating below their inherent potential. (N54!) Otherwise, a re-map requires a weekend or longer in New York - which to me equates to six months in Hell, and reliance on a dealer whose High Priests just shake their heads and mumble something in German when they see a re-map. So, I'll default to a stock 35i and watch the race-boy-35is pass me on the 2.5 mile straight away. Besides, I can always find an MX5 to pass!

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:29 pm

The N54 can be tuned with a handheld unit, absolutely no need for a "chip". MHD Flasher is the best of the bunch and is used by the majority of owners but for the less technically literate there are solutions like COBB Access Port which don't require you to have any knowledge of how to operate an Android device.

Piggybacks aren't invisible to dealers, the people selling them just claim they are. A flash tune with a handheld device can be completely removed and is truly 100% undetectable if you return the car to stock tune before a dealer visit.

The ECU tune vs piggyback debate has been done many times across many forums, there's no need to regurgitate the Racechip sales blurb to us.

If you are truly sold on a piggyback then get a JB4. As far as piggyback units go the JB4 is above and beyond the competition. Bear in mind that even the maker of the JB4 advocates people to use a real ECU tune as piggyback units are always limited in what they can accomplish.

The reason people are being short with OP is because this question has been answered THOUSANDS of times. Just type "WHAT TUNE SHOULD I USE FOR MY N54" into google.

hopz121
Lifer
Lifer

Post by hopz121 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:37 pm

ibroker wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:08 pm
hopz121 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:59 pm This isn't invisible to dealers by the way just so you are aware.... I wouldn't be putting one of these on my pride and joy either, id go and find a decent tuning shop and have a proper ECU remap done but its your car so its up to you. :)
The OP asked a genuine question and you come out all guns blazing.

A little less agression and a little more fact??
No aggression here buddy just stating what I know on the subject.

In regards to being invisible, the car will log all types of data behind the scenes if your engine went pop they would look at the data your car has and clearly see there has been higher than normal parameters for a period of time and investigate further. They would know the normal boost and air to fuel ratios exceed the normal limits and would invalidate any type of claim you had!

If the car is financed you would then have a serious issue on your hands and would need to buy a new engine.

On Cutters the other day someone had one of these devices on his new M4 on track.... it didn't take long for the thing to blow up and I dread to think how much the damage would have cost.

I don't know what box he had fitted or if some are different to others, all I know and stated is that these boxes are not invisible.

Good luck with the box thing or with whatever you decide to do.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful on the subject.
2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Manual - Silver Grey
2017 BMW F31 318d M-Sport - Auto - Glacier Silver
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 - Manual - Arctic Silver
2003 Renault Clio 172 Cup - Blue
2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i - Gone
2008 BMW E90 330i SE - Gone

extaz

Post by extaz » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:01 am

I know that this subject has had a lot of controversy. Other forums especially for the M cars also bring it up a lot. Amazing H.P. curves at the wheels are possible. I try to follow them to help decide if I want to do it. Then some Youtube video will flatly state that if you chip you will use all that power and all sorts of problems will surely follow.
As a matter of fact I did track a Turbo car some years ago and I did modify the boost. On the track I only used about half of the potential boost increase that was possible. It was just enough to compete with most of the Porsches of that era at the Porsche club at Watkins Glen near my home. After the first few sessions I settled down. Instead of going full steam down the long back straight I stayed at about 100 to120 mph and let people go by. Then in the corners I had a chance to catch and mix with them again. The tires and the brakes stayed cooler. As the power and speed increase, everything gets stressed geometrically more, especially from the heat in the brakes and tires. Most street cars boiled their brake fluid out in a few laps.
If I track my Z, I will enjoy its power, I will be passed sometimes, I will be happy to be out there even with only 300 H.P. Its not a race, I have no roll cage, I am not getting paid, It is not a race it is not a....

bob4333

Post by bob4333 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:28 am

R.E92 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:29 pm
The reason people are being short with OP is because this question has been answered THOUSANDS of times. Just type "WHAT TUNE SHOULD I USE FOR MY N54" into google.
Then let's answer it again, or post a link for the OP to look at what's obviously known. There's always someone asking this for the first time - none of us are born with the knowledge (at least I don't think so...................?).

It was a polite, reasonable and specific question - views from owners and those with personal experience. People should be encouraged to post, not poised over the keys wondering if they'll be mocked or castigated for asking a question.

Twin Turbo

Post by Twin Turbo » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:36 am

I use a JB4 - in my current and previous 335i - and never had any issues - taking the car for service or warranty work.

Racechips is not a popular option, however, I do like the engine warranty feature of the product. But I understand its not as feature rich as an JB4.

If however, you have an 35i - you could COBB route or some of the flashing tools - as there are more options available for this engine.

If the car is under warranty, then there is a logic behind one of these piggy back systems, if the car is out of warranty - then other options are available.

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:19 pm

bob4333 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:28 am
R.E92 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:29 pm
Then let's answer it again, or post a link for the OP to look at what's obviously known. There's always someone asking this for the first time - none of us are born with the knowledge (at least I don't think so...................?).

It was a polite, reasonable and specific question - views from owners and those with personal experience. People should be encouraged to post, not poised over the keys wondering if they'll be mocked or castigated for asking a question.
Google

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:26 pm

Twin Turbo wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:36 am I use a JB4 - in my current and previous 335i - and never had any issues - taking the car for service or warranty work.

Racechips is not a popular option, however, I do like the engine warranty feature of the product. But I understand its not as feature rich as an JB4.

If however, you have an 35i - you could COBB route or some of the flashing tools - as there are more options available for this engine.

If the car is under warranty, then there is a logic behind one of these piggy back systems, if the car is out of warranty - then other options are available.
There really is no logic behind using a piggyback while under warranty versus a flash tune.

A piggyback will store codes in the ECU, some have a code clearing function but afaik they don't erase FASTA data. It's a load of hassle to physically remove a piggyback whereas a tune from MHD can be removed without opening the bonnet and takes 15min.

Shorty

Post by Shorty » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:30 pm

I have the stage 1 Racechip on my 35i. I am more than happy. I thought I would try the cheaper version to make sure it worked OK with a view to upgrading. For now at least I will stick with the stage 1. Great value and very easy to fit, it took about 10 minutes.

Z4Rick

Post by Z4Rick » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:50 pm

I really appreciate everyone's thoughts. The subject IS new to me, I am VERY unsure, and the thoughts of guys who have actually done this to Z's is irreplaceable, and undismissable advice. I particularly enjoyed extaz's comments above; you describe my attitude and experiance very accurately; "I feel you brother!"

I am not sure how this will shake out. I have another year on the warranty and my thought to this point has been to not baby this car, nor trash it, but use it like it was intended - and hope any weaknesses would show up while the warranty was active - Then consider this modification. As it stands, I think I'll wait. I'll track it 3-5 times this season and continue to learn the car. That gives me a year to learn more about mapping, and see if I can muster up the courage, and knowledge, to try a map. Honestly, the inability to adjust the Chips seems limiting - a take it or leave it proposition, so I'll likely go the map route, if at all.

I did find a very interesting page on another forum where a guy created a VERY lengthy spreadsheet he titles "N54 Tune Comparison Chart". It is FILLED with helpful information anyone interested in the subject should find useful. Find it here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374508

or the .pdf file here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attachmen ... 1361642333

Thanks again guys - you've given me much to think about.
Rick