Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

End of the Z4. E89 production finishing in August.

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:43 am

Zed Five wrote:
pvr wrote:Wrong argument. Keep practising.
I'd traditionally go for 'what happens if I need to follow you somewhere? I need to be able to keep up.' :D
That wouldn't work - I could keep up with her on a my old mountain bike, even with my wobbly leg! :D
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Northotheborder

Post by Northotheborder » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:46 pm

The E89, a fantastic lookin,g head turning car with either the roof up or down, don't think I would of considered it with a fabric roof.

Zed Five

Post by Zed Five » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:56 pm

Another thing occurred to me while out today. Even when the weather isn't good, or i'm in a crap part of town, I can drive with all four windows down and get a nice experience without lowing the roof. I drive like this a hell of a lot. :D
Why is it that people who can't take advice always insist on giving it? 

E89 35is | BMW S1000rr Motorsport Ed.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:11 pm

Its a shame the E89 is going out of production without an imminent new model, particularly as they haven't done a mega spec run out edition either. I have always thought the E89 is one of the best looking drop tops ever made, even now seven years down the line its still a real stunner.
But the roof that has proved such an attraction for some members has always been its Achilles Heel for me and I guess many others. There is just no boot space with the roof down. The E89 is by no means alone in this, my wife didn't replace her E46 Cab with an E93 for this very reason.
I'm the sort that likes to get the roof down as and when I can, whether its a short trip back from the supermarket or on the way to a weekend away etc. This just isn't possible in all the hard top cabs I have seen. A trolley load of shopping, or bags for week/weekend away just wont allow you to drop top. I known I cant be alone in thinking this and you do wonder how much this lack of practicality has hurt sales over the years. I suspect this has had more effect than any perceived/real handling issues etc

Back in 2009 I was going to replace my first 987 with one, loved the car, the design, the interior etc but when I opened the boot my heart sank. I ended up in another 987 with its twin boots.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

rhodesey35iM

Post by rhodesey35iM » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:47 pm

I'm not sure luggage space is that big an issue, even with the top down. We bought the fitted cases and they managed admirably on a two week tour of Italy. It is a shame though that there doesn't seem to be anything tangible on the tin top radar as were in a 6 year old car now and will be looking to replace it next year when BMW decline to warranty it at 7 years(I know there are other warranties but its an reasonable excuse to chop it in :oops: ).

Gone...E89 35i M Sport Twin Turbo : DCT : Coral Red & Sapphire Black
Gone...M240i convertible
Now....M40 Z4

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:32 pm

It does look like the days of the tin top are numbered. The weight, complexity and space constraints look to be killing them off.
Perhaps the acid test will come when Mercedes replaces the SLK in a few years time, The SLK being iconic as the first of the modern tin tops, if that goes fabric I think its game over.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

sammyz

Post by sammyz » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:08 pm

Mazda seem to have managed to put a hard top on the MX5 without adding a huge amount of extra weight. It's a clever piece of design.

The BMW system looks/is heavy and complicated with many many moving parts. It is a fantastic bit of kit that turns a luxury GTcar into a convertible. But, not what you put on a track focussed sports car.
Yas Marina Blue 35i.

Z4monster

Post by Z4monster » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:34 pm

Well I ordered my 35iS at the end of June with a planned delivery of 1st September. Got a great deal on it and am actually saving compared to payments on my current 28i.

Dealer knew they were on runout and they don't expect a new model anytime soon, so if you want onea new one, get your order done now!

September will be here before I know it. :D Hurrah!

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:16 pm

rhodesey35iM wrote: will be looking to replace it next year when BMW decline to warranty it at 7 years(I know there are other warranties but its an reasonable excuse to chop it in :oops: ).
Since when do BMW do that? BMW warranties covers any BMW up to 100k miles regardless of age and at 60k some of the coverage is reduced. The maximum payout is the value of the car as after all it is an insurance product. If the car is over 100k miles the they do still have a warranty cover but it's not actually really worth the money for most.

I've never heard of BMW not offering warranties over 7 years old, they sell cars over that age with a BMW AUC Warranty. Guys on here have cars over 7 years old and still have BMW warranties on them...or have you just told the Mrs that this is reason you will need a new car in order to justify the change to her?
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

rhodesey35iM

Post by rhodesey35iM » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:34 pm

:) nope it was her that called them as its her car. They said that next year they wouldn't warranty it.....................................................................................hang on, you don't thinks SHE's playing me do you :o

Gone...E89 35i M Sport Twin Turbo : DCT : Coral Red & Sapphire Black
Gone...M240i convertible
Now....M40 Z4

Kamikaze Trooper

Post by Kamikaze Trooper » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:27 pm

TOYOTA, that could mean sharing the Subaru boxer engine.
Looks like a roadster, drives like a roadster. 35is

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:02 am

Just had the OK from the Fuhrer !
The plan is to trade in the old 2006 Disco 3 and the 2010 3.0l E89 and get a 35is
Her 335xd will need a set of winter wheels and tyres but i would say a result in the making :thumbsup:

Now got to start planning the colours inside and out along with the must haves !

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:24 pm

Great result. I did enquire about the August date, and the dealer didn't know for certain, or hadn't been formally notified, but did think it would be soon for last orders.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:39 pm

Be interesting to see what BMW come up with, a whole series of convertible models would be nice, including a big GT to rival the Merc SL.
Doubt we will be seeing anything anytime soon. Should make things interesting for E89 used values as the usual drop due to the fancy new model replacing it wont be there in the short term.
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:42 am

Another step forward!
I called into the dealer yesterday and did some outline figures and collected the glossy sales books. The fella was pushing for a sale as is his job, but our holiday in Germany starts soon and i don't want to be worrying about the car while we are away. It will have to wait until we are home again in September . However that will mean a December delivery which is not good.

Then there's the prices he offered to consider - still a way to go!