Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

1st time Track Day Insurance

Sponsored by Chris Knott Insurance
Logan

1st time Track Day Insurance

Post by Logan » Wed May 16, 2012 9:31 pm

I want to do an I.A.M. driver skills day in my Z4M Coupe later in the year but they (I.A.M.) say I have to be insured to do this. I am 54, male and have a full NCB, no points (since 1980) and no claims - ever. Their insurance company couldn't insure me - despite being confident they could when I first contacted them. I have to be able to prove I have previous track day experience / previous experience of driving "performance" cars. Catch 22 there I'm afraid - this will be my first track day. :headbang:

I have obtained a quote from Ryan Motor Sport Insurance but for a one day only cover it is £147 - which to me is a bit steep considering the track day which includes instructor guidance throughout is only £189.
Can anyone tell me if there is a better company out there that I should be using. My road use insurer doesn't do track day cover and is only costing me for annual insurance £468 for 20,000 miles. Perhaps I have an unrealistic idea of what a days track insurance should cost?

Or maybe there are other track days you may know about where I can use my car and have an instructor teach me how to drive it at speed with confidence and where I can get to find out how it handles in the reletive safety of a track that include insurance?
Z4M COUPE

Logan

Re: 1st time Track Day Insurance

Post by Logan » Wed May 23, 2012 11:24 pm

:tumbleweed:

Does nobody out there have an answer?

Surely some of you do track days? Where do you insure your car and how much is it?
Z4M COUPE

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Wed May 23, 2012 11:46 pm

Try here:

http://www.moris.co.uk/

It's about £90 with the first £1,000 not covered and £1-200 excess I believe, but it is dependent on the track and your history / experience
Last edited by BMWZ4MC on Wed May 23, 2012 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

Telstar

Post by Telstar » Wed May 23, 2012 11:47 pm

Hi Logan. Where are you doing your track day as the price seems reasonable. Cheers.
Z4MCOUPE 2007 Carbon Black

ZedFourM

Post by ZedFourM » Wed May 23, 2012 11:48 pm

I've done a few track days over the years, but have never had insurance for them.

However, I've never heard of the IAM doing track days. They do various off-road driving education days (I've been on a skid pan with them a few times), but it's always based on "road" driving. A track day, on the other hand, is about learning to drive quickly and smoothly. If they tell you to shuffle steer, it's an IAM day; if they tell you to keep your hands planted on the wheel, it's a track day :)

Perhaps you should position it with your existing insurer as a "driving education" event rather than a "track day" and see whether they will cover you?
Philip

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Thu May 24, 2012 8:46 am

Price sounds about normal - or is about the same as I would pay for a day's insurance at the 'Ring - and that's with over 50 uneventful track days under my belt.

Most track day cover is based on the same principle of 1% of the car value as premium, and 10% of the car value as excess.

So a Z4MC valued at £15k would warrant a £150 premium and a £1500 excess - however, in most cases, if your claim is less than the excess you get nothing, but you can also insure the excess.

Don't forget that track day insurance only covers YOUR car, so if you hit someone/something else, they are not covered. If someone hits you, then you claim off your own insurance.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Thu May 24, 2012 10:09 am

I've just checked my current quote from Moris for my next track day:

Insured value £17,000
Excess £1,088
Admin fee if claim made £125
Premium £91.10

With Moris, the excess is not really an excess but the minimum damage that must be sustained before they will pay for a claim. However, once that threshold has been reached, they will pay for the full amount of the claim.

Previously, I have payed around £150 per track day to other companies. This is the cheapest company I've found. The criteria they use to assess your risk are the specific track; the company organising the day; your experience of track days and any accident history on track; your history of accidents and speeding penalties on the road; and your age and occupation.

Of note, if I insured the excess, paid for recovery of my vehicle, and included personal injury insurance, the premium would approach that I've paid before.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

James_H

Post by James_H » Thu May 24, 2012 9:09 pm

I've comtemplated the IAM skills days before, but the dates always end up clashing (they only have 18th October left this year). They seem quite a different kettle of fish to a normal track day, as there are a variety of skills developed. I was under the impression it was to develop road skills, but on a safe track environment.

I'm surprised the IAM insist upon your own insurance. It really isn't a track day in the normal sense and there was nothing stating it was needed on their website at the buying stage. It was possible to buy these skills days as a gift, but it wouldn't be a great gift if you need to pay almost half that again to use it,

If speed is your thing, how about one of the BMW novice track evenings? I did one last year and there are two more dates this year. They're only half a day and cost less than £50, but £25 gets an instructor for 15 minutes and £10 a helmet for the evening. Once you've done that, it might give you eligibility for the original insurance you considered.

I used Moris for my first track day a couple of years ago as they were one of the best value then, but had no need to claim.

Logan

Post by Logan » Thu May 24, 2012 11:24 pm

Many thanks for the responces: :thumbsup:

BMWZ4MC: I'll give Moris a try - looks cheaper. + Your 2nd post - good information, just what I was after, I'll have an idea now as to whether I'm paying over the odds.

Telstar: It is the I.A.M. event on 18/10/2012 at Silverstone. They use the Stowe circuit.

ZedFourM: Good idea, thanks.

mmm-five: Good information, thanks.

James_H: Good suggestion - I'll try and chase up the BMW novice track evening.
Z4M COUPE