Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Damn wish i was older!

Sponsored by Chris Knott Insurance
aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Damn wish i was older!

Post by aquazi » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:04 pm

A bit of a rant… I am currently insured with Swift – last years premium cost £730 with a £700 excess.

The renewal comes through at £1018!!!!

So tried the usual comparison sites, and got the cheapest quote from Admiral at £800 adding my father to the policy (£860 without him) with a £700 excess.

Rang Adrian Flux (who I used to be with a few years ago) – they cant compete with that price

Then tried Chris Knotts - without really checking the small print – turns out you have to be over 30!

So looks like the cheapest quote I am likely to have is Admiral… unless any of you have any other companies you suggest?

Find the price absurd - not paid this much on insurance since I was 21 with a Golf Gti! :headbang:

Half Colin

Re: Damn wish i was older!

Post by Half Colin » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:21 pm

I've just transfered my insurance from a Lotus Elise to a 2007 Si Coupe. I used Gocompare or Moneysupermarket, not sure which, but eSure came out the cheapest for me. Interestingly the Z4 came out at half the renewal price of the Lotus. There are some advantages of age as I'm paying £328. But then I'm a good deal older than you are.

If you want to put me as a named driver I don't mind. :evil:
Now E92 330D M Sport, Sapphire Black, AC Schnitzers and carbon badges soon
Sold E86 3.0si Sport, Sapphire Black, AC Schnitzers, carbon badges, ZHP, stubby and NO RUNFLATS!

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:31 pm

So you don't want to know that I pay just under £1k to insure ALL my 5 cars together? :roll:

(excluding the £700 I pay to insure my daughter).

Churchill was the cheapest for me for the M by the way.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

EdButler

Post by EdButler » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:43 pm

No one seems to quote their age which is pretty much the most important info! Admiral seems best for people 24-30 it seems. Try adding Mother and Father or whoever else you can, both my parents knocks a further £30 off. Don't store it in a garage either, its actually worse for your premium.

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:54 pm

I forgot to add i have a company car too.. which usually gets my policy reduced.

Tried Esure and church hill... both came back with a 4 figure value!

Bell was £950, but then rang them and told them i have aftermarket wheels.. and that pushed that to over £1k again!!

I added my mother and it actualy reduced my policy by £150... sadly my mother only has a licence to drive an Auto.. so I cant add her to my policy, so i can only add my dad.. which reduces it by £60 :headbang:

Car is parked on the driveway.. even tried changing my postcode to my parents address, and changing my career to "engineer".. didnt make a difference... I have 9 years ncd! and no driving convictions/ points.. not made a claim in 5 years etc.... on paper i thought i would be pretty good..... guess i am just screwed till i reach 30 :x

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:58 pm

aquazi, can't you just add your mum anyway, she doesn't need to drive it and you don't need to show driving licences?

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:09 pm

Wondermike wrote:aquazi, can't you just add your mum anyway, she doesn't need to drive it and you don't need to show driving licences?
But they ask what sort of licence she has.. can i have her down as having a full uk auto licence insured on my manual car? :?

My parents would never drive my car.... tbh even though my dad has a manual licence he has no idea how to drive a manual after having an auto for the past 30 years :lol:

Oakandacorns

Post by Oakandacorns » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:02 am

Insurance was not cheap for me at renewal in Dec 2010 - it was rather frustrating that with an extra year's no claim, the renewal quote was not cheaper that the previous year's insurance.

Don't accept the price in the renewal letter. Call them and discuss. Or find another quote from another reputable/well known company (I avoid small companies that I've never heard to), and walk away from the insurer who quoted the silly price.

Echoing what some others have said, use the comparison websites to find good quotes. Have a look at the accompanying policy documents and pay attention to the compulsory and voluntary excess. I promise you that the top quotes for the large companies like Admiral and Diamond, will be cheaper on the price comparison website versus direct with Company (through their own website). So buy through comparison website OR call Company direct with the quote details yot got on comparison site. I say call the Co direct, because I bettered my renewal price with the place that sent me the renewal letter with some hard work myself. I was happy with the service/ease of reaching call centre so stuck with Diamond. (Well, at least renewal call centres are UK based). They explained comparison websites get commission so prices will be better than prices quoted by themselves. Charming. Loyalty, does not pay :headbang:

And oh, DON'T WISH YOUR LIFE AWAY!
Oakandacorns
Former: 2.5 (04), Ellipsoid alloys, Heated seats, RFT, OEM Wind Deflector
Love it

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:59 am

Funny enough i spoke to Diamond and i can add my mother to my policy even though she only has a full uk auto licence!!

And adding her as a named driver Diamond are actually one of the cheapest at £750... removing my mother and the policy goes to £1800 :o :o

I really dont understand how they can justify that... as she hasnt even got a licence which covers her for my car... and so will never be driving my car!!!
Oakandacorns wrote: And oh, DON'T WISH YOUR LIFE AWAY!
Oh so very true :oops:

lacroupade
Lifer
Lifer

Post by lacroupade » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:22 pm

Diamond are part of the Admiral Group BTW...be interesting to see how they compare with a quote from the parent... 8)
==============================================================
If toast always lands jam side down, and a cat always lands on its feet, what happens when you strap a piece of toast, jam side up, to the back of a cat?

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:27 pm

lacroupade wrote:Diamond are part of the Admiral Group BTW...be interesting to see how they compare with a quote from the parent... 8)
With my mum on the policy Admiral were £10 cheaper; without my mum Admiral were £900 cheaper :o

Elephant which are also part of the same group quoted £15 more then Admiral.....

But after a few calls (as i have after market wheels i cant do most of this online) it turns out i cant add my mother with her Auto licence... so have to settle with a £819pa with £600 excess insurance policy this yr...

Not at all impressed :x

Kryton

Post by Kryton » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:35 pm

pvr wrote:So you don't want to know that I pay just under £1k to insure ALL my 5 cars together? :roll:

(excluding the £700 I pay to insure my daughter).
Not all that good, 2 cars are old bangers and 2 others are 'long in the tooth' ? :)

mikedav

Post by mikedav » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:41 pm

aquazi wrote:
lacroupade wrote:Diamond are part of the Admiral Group BTW...be interesting to see how they compare with a quote from the parent... 8)
With my mum on the policy Admiral were £10 cheaper; without my mum Admiral were £900 cheaper :o :x
Different arms of Admiral target different markets, hence the branding (Diamond for the chicks, Bell for the drivers with low/no NCB, Elephnat to make you think you're shopping around, Admiral for the rest etc). So the quote engines for each like and dislike different criteria....

All insurance is supposedly up 30% this year so I think most people will have rougher number, I'm at £700ish IIRC at the moment (28, Admiral) but I'm expecting that to go up next time

Kryton

Post by Kryton » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:53 pm

mikedav wrote:
All insurance is supposedly up 30% this year
:)
Last edited by Kryton on Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kiowan

Post by Kiowan » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:13 pm

Insurance is terrible now, i'm 27 with 7 years no claims, no previous claims and a clean licence. The last 2 years i've been paying £400 TPFT on a BMW 530d, the cheapest I got from any company and any comparison site was 780tpft this year, on paper I'm a damn safe bet compared to most people. I know for a fact my postcode has had something done to it in the insurance world, it used to be good, now it isn't. My friend who lives right next door to Clifton in Nottingham, has 1 years no claims I think and a claim or two on file was getting quotes on my car at nearly half the price....nothing makes sense.

I made sure to get quotes on the Z4 before I bought it but in the end paid £850 fully comp with a 300XS which to be fair isn't bad, it's the first car i've been able to afford fully comp on too, still a lot of money though. I went with A-plan, though Sky were very similar. Admiral and all it's sister companies were terrible and I have no parents to add so i'm out of luck there too. Adrian flux weren't far off but they're the last people i'd insure with, a last resort. Chris Knotts I couldn't get through to, apparently you have to be 30 anyway though :rtfm:

The comical thing is I insure a Honda Fireblade 954 and a second bike for £100 comp...

And even funnier, I sold a 5.7 V8 Pontiac Trans Am at the beginning of the year, a 300hp RWD car which I insurd with 0 years NCB because it was in use on my 5 series.....£215 fully comp.
2004 Z4 3.0i SE - Black