Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Air Bag Module replacement - problems

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Unclepip

Post by Unclepip » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:35 pm

Hi,

Due to a connector corrosion problem it became necessary to replace my Air Bag Control module, as the faulty one was crashing my K Bus and causing all sorts of related problems.

The module has been replaced with an "identical part number" - functionally everything works as it should. However, the air bag light remains on. Colleagues have tried to reset the alarms using their Snap On diagnostic computer - but to no avail.

Reading on the web there seems to be a suggestion that it is necessary to have the various sensors synch'ed / initialised? is this the case and if so is BMW the only (and likely costly) party that can undertake this?

I hope someone can throw some light on this for me please.

Phil

Unclepip

Post by Unclepip » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:45 pm

I should also add the error displayed on the Snap On diagnostic computer is "Incorrect Chassis Number".

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:22 pm

Unclepip wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:35 pm Hi,

Due to a connector corrosion problem it became necessary to replace my Air Bag Control module, as the faulty one was crashing my K Bus and causing all sorts of related problems.

The module has been replaced with an "identical part number" - functionally everything works as it should. However, the air bag light remains on. Colleagues have tried to reset the alarms using their Snap On diagnostic computer - but to no avail.

Reading on the web there seems to be a suggestion that it is necessary to have the various sensors synch'ed / initialised? is this the case and if so is BMW the only (and likely costly) party that can undertake this?

I hope someone can throw some light on this for me please.

Phil
Same boat mate. I had issues with my module and replaced it for a exact same unit. Tricky considering the part has been superseded. But got one in the end. Obviously chassis number error you're getting too.

Can clear but it keeps popping back up. This can be coded. I've yet to sort mine but a member on here is going to help me code it. mac27040 is the guy.
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

Unclepip

Post by Unclepip » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:09 am

Interesting that you are experiencing the same problems, Mac seems to be a font of knowledge. Be interested to know how you get on.

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:04 pm

My airbag module died long before I got the car. Don't know anything about why it happened. No water damage, rust, etc. Just seems to have given up, the end is in sight now, just need to code it correctly like yourself. Not sure when the coding will happen, as no date set. But it will!

I'll keep you posted on the outcome :thumbsup:
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71