Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My new ZED and few questions

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
9designs

Post by 9designs » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:26 pm

Me! red leather.... hmm ;)
Well yes, the light colours (except on Blue) look out of place and not practical and black is okay, but nothing to break it up. So I do like the red, was part of my selection process :D

The folding mirrors I assumed they all had as I had them before, the cruise I knew was optional but I fitted it before so apart from the added loom should be easy one. I think these two mods, which are only really the two bits missing are the more achievable. I got the 10 speaker set up and 6 disc changer. Piano black option, parking sensors, heat on the seats (saw one listed without heat!!) multi function wheel, Xenon.....
I guess what will be missing is sat nav and blue tooth. For Nav a TomTom is far cheaper and up to date and much higher res clearer display.
So I decided not to get detracted by that option when searching.
Blue tooth I will add either by a parrot as suggested above or actually a single DIN fold out NAV, BT and audio upgrade, Pioneer etc.

Which should make it quite a complete Z4, it has the M sport suspension as well, not sure if that was standard on Si and only done 41K miles.

I did test drive a Z4M, was fun, lovely noise and drama but twice the price, twice the miles, nearly twice the tax and perhaps a bit much for an every day car, I have one garage queen didn't need another.. certainly after I read people having to replace big end bearings.

This Si actually feels a lot closer to the M to drive than it does to my old Pre Facelift, ignoring the auto/manual difference.
57 Plate 3.0 Si Auto SilverGrey - Red Leather
E89 35iS Space Grey - Red Leather. SOLD
56 Plate 3.0 SI Manual - Black with Red Leather- Scorpion exhaust, BC coil overs SOLD
54 Plate 3.0 SE Auto - Silver with Red Leather. SOLD

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:21 pm

The mirrors may be easy in essence, but I've been there before with the e46. It's definitely not easy!

I guess if you do your homework you know you know what's easy to achieve, and what will be a little too much...

Keep us posted on your progress! :thumbsup:
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

9designs

Post by 9designs » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:12 pm

My parts turned up, I have folding mirror assemblies, switch pack, control module and replacement harness for both doors, just in case I need them. Need to work how to get the mirrors apart and swap the coloured scalps over.

Cruise control and look also arrived, with out wiring instructions, so chasing that one up.

K&N filter fitted. Thinking to add Slik 50 to the gearbox to see if it smooths off the notching change. Which I guess is normal?

Major clean today,
Washed,
Clay bar,
DA cut polish
DA finish polish
Hand protective polish
Hand extra gloss protection
Glass cleaned.

Its shinny now !! :D

BUT, I'm gutted. :evil: I curbed one on me new refurbished wheels parking yesterday. Will need to get it touched up or redone.
56 Plate 3.0 SI Manual - Black with Red Leather- Scorpion exhaust, BC coil overs SOLD

9designs

Post by 9designs » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:23 pm

Results of the scrub up and DA polish at the weekend..

[IMG]http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r67 ... h5gpqn.jpg[/IMG]

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:46 pm

Looking good :thumbsup:
The notchy gear change (1st and 2nd) can be smoothed out with a Clutch Delay Valve (CDV) delete.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:53 pm

9designs

Post by 9designs » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:37 pm

Cheers, I got that now for the cruise.
Drivers door loom now on its way to me, has extra wires for the switch pack, so hopefully will be the answer to the folding mirrors. Trying to find a wiring diagram, the link to one doesn't work as it seems you need an old browser and some Adobe software. I have an old machine running XP, might try on that.
While the door is stripped down wondering to upgrade the tweeters and mid driver.

It feels so much more a sports car than the pre face lift did.

9designs

Post by 9designs » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:15 pm

Another question,

How many miles or age does the original DISA last ?
Drove car this morning, no noises, started this evening to re park seems to have a rattle from the engine.
Will see how it is in the morning, wondering on possibilities as it's only done 42K, but for sure is still 11 years old, VANOS, DISA?