Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Aux Input

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
OntarioZed

Aux Input

Post by OntarioZed » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:40 pm

I was reading in another forum that when you press "Mode" on the head unit and the "Aux" word appears, it means you have an auxiliary jack installed. It went on to say that the "Aux" will not appear unless a jack is installed.

Well, "Aux" does appear when I scroll through the modes, but I can't find an auxiliary jack anywhere. Am I just not looking in the right place?
2003 Z4 3.0i, Non-sport suspension, Merlot metallic, Oregon leather.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Aux Input

Post by Marlon » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:50 pm

If you have one its hidden away under the dash
auxin.JPG
auxin.JPG (56.28 KiB) Viewed 1215 times
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Steve84N

Aux Input

Post by Steve84N » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:52 am

Unless it was an aftermarket install like mine which I routed into the glovebox to avoid ugly wires in the cabin... :wink:
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

srhutch

Aux Input

Post by srhutch » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:58 am

Could be in three places I can think of.

1. Where highlighted by Marlon, OEM position.
2. In the glovebox as Steve said, and where BMW fitted aux in my car. (Whilst with previous owner)
3. In the ashtray.

I had a 250 drive home in mine when collecting so took and iPod and lead, but couldn't find aux until I got home and had a proper route around.

I'm guessing it will be in the glovebox somewhere.

OntarioZed

Aux Input

Post by OntarioZed » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:31 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. It's definitely not in the ashtray or under the head unit as Marlon suggested. I'll have a good look around the glove box and see what I find.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Aux Input

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:05 pm

Might have been shoved up behind the globe box, press the two release tabs at the top and the door swings right down into the footwell revealing the fuse box, could be coiled up there.

Mike

OntarioZed

Aux Input

Post by OntarioZed » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:48 am

Found it! I had the car up on the lift in my garage changing the transmission and rear diff oil today and I decided to open the passenger door and look at the glove box because it was now at eye level.

Open the door and tucked away in the top left corner of the frame was the aux. input. Tried it out and it works great. I'm going to remove the glove box door and see if I can route the cable up into the ashtray area so its more convenient.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

brightonbimmer

Aux Input

Post by brightonbimmer » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:43 pm

What do you plan to do with the Aux. input ? If you find a way to input music from a memory stick/flash drive, I would love to know how. My Honda Civic has this feature as standard equipment. I am located in Brighton, Ontario.
David
Current cars: 2013 Honda Civic EX (daily driver, 55,000 KM) + 2003 Mazda MX-5 SE (Titanium Grey, with 22,000 KM) + 2006 BMW M6 (Indianapolis Red Metallic, just turned 67,000 KM)
First sports car was 1963 Morgan 4/4 in 1964.Image

LordOxygen

Aux Input

Post by LordOxygen » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:03 pm

brightonbimmer wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:43 pm What do you plan to do with the Aux. input ? If you find a way to input music from a memory stick/flash drive, I would love to know how. My Honda Civic has this feature as standard equipment. I am located in Brighton, Ontario.
David
The aux in is a 3.5mm stereo jack socket so you can plug anything into it (within reason) that plays music. Phone, ipod, mp3 player etc via their headphone socket and a suitable cable. You can not use a usb stick directly, (but im sure you realise that already).

Edit to add. Depending on the music player's output voltage you could have a situation that even with the cars volume control up to the max the sound may not be loud enough to hear at the level youd like. IE volume of radio is louder than the music player for a given volume setting on the head unit.
Swapping to radio after listening to a source from the aux socket can have you racing to turn the volume down if you dont remember to do it before pressing mode.

Sticks

Aux Input

Post by Sticks » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:21 am

My guess is that unless there's a CD changer, the default menu option is aux but that doesn't mean a connection has been installed.
3.0 SE Auto, Sapphire Black, Elipsoids, Xenons, Sat Nav, BT, Cruise, MFSW, 6CD, non-rfts.