Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Project Z4! [Updated: 25/06/17] (Picture Heavy)

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:53 pm

Hi there,

I'm both new to the forum and new to Z4's. My intro was here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=97728
Long story short, I bought a 2003 3.0i Z4, 71k miles for £1500 as a project car come doer-upper. Roof didn't work when I bought it.

Since I'm doing a few things as I progress I figured I'd write a post abit like a diary so I will over time be adding to this first post as I go.

I'll start with how the car looked when I bought it:

Stupidly I didn't take any pics of the interior before I started, but it has the cream interior which is filthy!! It also has the (IMO) horrible brushed metal trim.

So, when I bought the car, the roof wasn't working. After some investigating I had a two-fold issue whereby the microswitch was dodgy AND the top roof motor that controls the latches was buggered. I didn't take pics (I know, bad start!!) of that either, but that was about an hours job. Mostly because the bolts were f*****g tight!!! But swapped it out, and roof is now working :)

The first thing I wanted to sort out was the horrible wheels! I was going to get them refurbished but then came across a freshly refurb'd set, complete with new tires so made more sense to buy them, and just sell the ones I had on it.

They arrived today, got them fitted and I personally think they look awesome! (Just need to wash and polish the car to match)

Here's what they look like fitted:

The next thing was I wanted to fit my Double Din Pioneer SPH-DA120. Let's not debate who prefers single or double, or that it doesn't match the car... it's personal preference & I wanted double din :)

So first thing was to start designing something so that I could 3D Print a fascia.

The thread for the design progress is here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=97733

Whilst I'm still working on the design and getting things lined up etc, I decided today that I would investigate any mods that would be needed in the car to fit the new double din.

So, off the bat it was obvious there wouldn't be enough depth for a double din due to the vents. That means it's cutting time!!

Eventually, after an annoying 10 mins I managed to chop out this block...

I'm fortunate in that I have the sat nav set up - this meant I could get to the vent to chop it back easier than if I'd had to go in from the front with a dremel.

After chopping the vent back, I'm now left with enough depth to fit the head unit!

Update 1: 17th June 2017

Today I decided to try my hand at vinyl wrapping! I've never attempted this before in my life so this was to be an experience. A quick look at a couple of youtube vids & I was ready to go.

I bought myself some 6D Carbon Fibre vinyl wrap from eBay: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381117191869 - It arrive today so I got to work

Door handles:

Switch(es):

And of course the main trim:

Before:

After:

The pictures don't do the finish justice! They look awesome (IMO) in the carbon wrap! I'm very happy with results
--

to be done tomorrow!

Update 2: 19th June 2017

Like an idiot, I leant on the heat gun when reaching across the table ha!

Anyway, finished my wrapping and got the bits installed this morning. Here's the final result:

You will have to excuse my crappy photo skills. As you can see I did the door handles, the window switches, the center console, and main dash trim.

Anyone considering wrapping for the first time, I'm gonna say give it a go. My results aren't perfect as this was my first time however, I am still happy with results enough to refit the parts :)

This was the main youtube video I watched to get an idea on what to do: www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRUvucGdJ_c

Update 3: 25th June 2017

Another update now, so I went and collected my replacement passenger side front wing. Changing the wing was a mission and a bloody half let me tell you!! The changing of the wing itself is actually fairly straight forward - but I had 3 seized bolts :( All of which the torx head appeared to be already rounded!!! So out came the dremel to cut a nice slot in the middle to get a large flat headed screw driver into. With no joys there, I used a pair of vice grips clamped to the side of the screw driver handle - forming a kind of T piece, but on one side only. So an inverted L I guess. Anywhere with lots of abuse & cursing I FINALLY managed to get them all off.

First of all, you need to take the side skirt off. This is fairly easy. I had 2 x 8mm nuts and lots of plastic expanding retaining rivets. I would say it's worth spending a few £ and getting a pack of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20x-BMW-Expan ... 0931120194 because those b*****ds can be a pain to get out and I found most broke or just squished too much. And for the sake of a few £ I felt better putting new ones back in place. Once they're out of the underside of the side skirt, it literally just pulls off. I went gently from back to front and came off with reasonably light effort. Wing next....

There's 3 x T30 torx screws along the top, and a 10mm nut just beyond the bonnets end, infront of the windscreen:

There's 2 x 8mm bolts in the wheel liner, 1 x T30 Torx on the INSIDE of the door

and then 2 x T30 on the INSIDE of the wing itself. They were not fun to get to - especially when one of the 2 was amongst the ones pre-rounded! Getting a dremel into that space was a right PITA.
TOP:
BOTTOM:

Got there in the end though!

Next on the list was putting my rear top plastic cover back on. The manual roof release was missing a spring and so the handle sat wonky. I didn't like this! I took it when I was wrapping my center console, but only just got around to sorting a spring. Once I'd made a make shift spring by destroying a clothes peg, I realised that one of the hooks had actually broken. It was held on by luck I think, but only took me 30 seconds of trying to glue it for it to fall off!! :headbang: :cry:

Well, that's there the 3D Printing comes in handy again 8) Measure the hook, drew it up in 123D Design, printed it, then used JB Weld Plastic Bonder Epoxy to glue it in place. Works perfectly now, woohoo!!
(I might have gone a little overboard with the epoxy! :roll: )

I borrowed a spring clip from the - whatever it's called - center / arm rest that's not an arm rest cover thing to test with, perfect-a-mondo

The last update for now, was replacing the side markers for clear ones, and changing the badges. I am changing the badges all around and will add photos in the next few days. For now though, here are the pics of the side marker side by side...
New on "top" and old on "bottom"

In case you're wondering, I bought my clear side marker/indicator from bmw_direct on eBay for £21.80. I only bought the one, as the side wing I bought came with one already as it was off a 2006 model.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Genuine-A ... 2364896177

Then it was back to working on the Double Din Fascia...

More details of which are in my "Double Din Fascia" thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=97733
Last edited by IAmOrion on Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NO LONGER OWN A Z4 SO NOT AS ACTIVE HERE ANYMORE (IF AT ALL).
I STILL OFFER FREE CARLY CODING & EWS KEY/TRANSPONDER CODING AT MY HOME
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Z4DIYCustomMods/

IAmOrion

Project Z4! [Updated: 17/06/17]

Post by IAmOrion » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:00 pm

RESERVED
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Rusky

Project Z4! [Updated: 17/06/17] (Picture Heavy)

Post by Rusky » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:42 pm

Nice going dude, will be interesting to see how it all looks when reassembled. wheels look good too :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
3.0l Silver SMG, whippy and ginge fringe/ Sound gen mod/ Media bridge fitted (bluetooth and audio streaming) / Clear third break light/ Hard Top/ Eibachs springs and DLV back box/ Roof motor in the boot/ plus lots more.

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:44 pm

Rusky wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:42 pm Nice going dude, will be interesting to see how it all looks when reassembled. wheels look good too :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks :) Yeah I'll update the post with pics with pics etc once it's all put back together. Tomorrows task is trying to get the center console out to wrap that!! Then it can all go back in and I'll get pics
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

JINGLE

Post by JINGLE » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:11 pm

Love following hands on progress threads like this, lots of info and photos means it's easy for people like me to pluck up the courage to give it a go myself!

Especially the wrap, recently got the folding mirrors off machine monkey so will probs have to take the interior apart to fit some wires so would make sense to do cruise at same time (if I can find 1 in time) and wrap all interior panels at same time whilst it's apart!

Great work!

IAmOrion

Project Z4! [Updated: 19/06/17] (Picture Heavy)

Post by IAmOrion » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:10 pm

JINGLE wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:11 pm Love following hands on progress threads like this, lots of info and photos means it's easy for people like me to pluck up the courage to give it a go myself!

Especially the wrap, recently got the folding mirrors off machine monkey so will probs have to take the interior apart to fit some wires so would make sense to do cruise at same time (if I can find 1 in time) and wrap all interior panels at same time whilst it's apart!

Great work!
Thanks :D I thought I'd write it as I went along so others can read my progress and maybe decide to give something a go on their own, or just enjoy the read! More to come once I have time to fit my passenger wing and also finalise my double din fascia. I'm also trying to design something I can insert into the cut fan duct to redirect air either side of the stereo fascia I'm making
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

A5 VRX

Post by A5 VRX » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:44 pm

Really good work, my mate did the carbon wrap in his 335i and made a massive difference. Yours looks great and brought it up to date in my eyes...I never liked the silver in my Zed
Ex - 2.5 Si Sport Roadster
Now - 3.0 Si Sport Coupe, AP Coilovers, CSL’s, ZHP

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:46 pm

A5 VRX wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:44 pm Really good work, my mate did the carbon wrap in his 335i and made a massive difference. Yours looks great and brought it up to date in my eyes...I never liked the silver in my Zed
Yeah that brushed aluminium, IMO, is bloody awful!!
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:52 pm

Updated :)
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:14 pm

Looking good :thumbsup:

Bet you're glad the heat gun burn missed the tattoo!
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:19 pm

Silverzedtom wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:14 pm Looking good :thumbsup:

Bet you're glad the heat gun burn missed the tattoo!
Was a little too close for comfort for sure! lol
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:40 pm

Coming along
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:51 pm

Very nice! I like what you've done and will continue to follow with interest!

What are your next plans, double din aside? :)
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

D4dawg

Post by D4dawg » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:20 am

Nice works:)

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:55 am

That wing had been off before for sure as one of the bolts was in the wrong way.

The top and bottom bolt in the door pillar should be removed from the pillar side. Only the middle one should be accessed from within the wing.