Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Double Din Fasica Progress [UPDATED: 1st September 2017]

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
scooobydont

Double Din Fasica Progress

Post by scooobydont » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:57 pm

Excellent work!

adam1985

Post by adam1985 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:37 am

IAmOrion wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:30 pm
Dr-Jon wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:15 pm Hi, does it sit like that because the 2 din stereo hits the bottom? if so, as you have already cut out the air vents behind and it wont be standard any more, why not make the fascia larger and increase the hole in the dash panel a little at the top.
Or is that not possible.
Then wrap the hole trim panel as one to hide the joints.
Just a suggestion,
Yes, the problem, is that if you cut out that bottom, then there's nothing what so ever to support the unit and I don't think you could realistically make something to replace it that would be able to maintain the desired strength (Also, that part forms part of a larger supporting frame behind the dash. Also, whilst I'm happy chopping bits that are hidden away such as the vent (which was easy) I don't fancy messing with the metal trim that is visible if that makes sense. My fabrication skills aren't the best haha. Maybe someone with better 3d design skills could pick up where I leave off... I don't get on with fusion360 so am also limited by the software I use (123D Design) ... but also, I'm happy enough with it set back a fraction - it works for me, but I will supply the finished files so others can edit and amend etc if they want to build on it.

And yes, the idea behind the main fascia panel IS that it would be epoxied together, and then wrapped as one piece.
Killiestu wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:16 pm A top cover might not be a bad idea!

Might help with the glare the screen will catch at the angle, loving the progress
You can buy high grip/strength adhesive that will have enough "flex" to allow the natural vibrations of the car so having to print it in 3 or more sections shouldn't be a problem at all.

Your clearing the design hurdles no bother bud keep it up and you'll be selling these in no time.
Yeah a slightly flexible epoxy would be the most ideal as it allows for some very slight movement. The Pioneer SPH-DA120 is pretty good for glare - however for my particular case I actually like it set back a fraction... all to do with interaction with the unit, as daft as it sounds, If there's some random need to do something whilst moving or quickly at red lights (tut tut whilst moving I know!) I kinda like having a very small ridge on which I could rest my palm edge on as I rapidly finger stab the screen haha
Did you manage to get a finished version of this installed?!
57 BMW 3.0si sport Coupe, Carbon Black, Bilstein B12 Suspension, CSL reps & style 339s for winter - Current
10 Skoda Fabia mk2 vRS, Rallye Green, Black Roof, Black Gigaro Alloys - Gone
08 Fiat Grande Punto Dynamic Sport, Red, Dual Sunroof - Gone

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:37 pm

adam1985 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:37 am Did you manage to get a finished version of this installed?!
My printer broke down for a week or so got had of period of not being able to do anything. Fortunately I have no fixed the printer and will start making some progress again very soon :) It's still a WIP but I believe I'm almost there.
NO LONGER OWN A Z4 SO NOT AS ACTIVE HERE ANYMORE (IF AT ALL).
I STILL OFFER FREE CARLY CODING & EWS KEY/TRANSPONDER CODING AT MY HOME
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Z4DIYCustomMods/

JINGLE

Post by JINGLE » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:30 pm

Looking forward to the finished article :)

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:33 pm

JINGLE wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:30 pm Looking forward to the finished article :)
I actually sorted my printer now and printed out another vent test today BUT I need to make some changes then reprint. Will hopefully have some update details to bring this thread back some life ;)
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:14 pm

Bit of an interim update, having finally fixed my printer, I've had a few prints in a queue I needed to get done before I got back to the double din. Have adjusted the main vent, I now need to rework the vent arms. I've made but of a boo boo as they say however I've already siliconed the first part of the vent in so going to adjust my vent arm design to work around it for now (as I CBA to waste the vent print and pull it out etc)

In the mean time, I vinyl wrapped my oddments tray / dash tray which will sit in place where the sat nav screen was. I even got a little bit of car interior carpet trim for it :thumbsup:
IMG_0141.JPG
IMG_0141.JPG (415.76 KiB) Viewed 2648 times
Will update again once I've sussed the best vent arm design for my situation :)
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:00 pm

I'm liking this idea and will be watching your progress with interest.

I wanted a double din myself and couldn't believe there was nothing on the market already to make it so. You could make a little business for yourself if you get this right :thumbsup:

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:38 pm

thanatu55 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:00 pm I'm liking this idea and will be watching your progress with interest.

I wanted a double din myself and couldn't believe there was nothing on the market already to make it so. You could make a little business for yourself if you get this right :thumbsup:
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:12 pm

Finally - a nice update :) ...

So, I had to adjust the vent arm heights as after printing I realised I was 30mm out (I'll blame it on being tired) but after modding the vent arm I got round to fixing them in place:

I used silicone to glue and seal, and held over night with mini clamps:

It was then time to put the fascia on, and get the cage in place:

Once in place, I bent the security tabs over, into the gaps of the 3D Printed fascia:

Once the cage was pinned in place, I then had to use a bit of delicacy and get to the screw holes each side of the fasica and screw the fasica in place using the OEM screws. NOTE: I intend to change these to some sort of Torx Security screw asap since you're average radio thief doesn't carry those (they might after reading this :rofl: )

Once the fascia was screwed in place, I then inserted the stereo, and with a little bit of elbow grease and A LOT of swearing I got the stereo clipped into the cage, and put the stereo surround in place (As well as putting my oddments tray in place) :

My final 3D printing task for this, is to print out a little "cover" to neaten this bottom edge/gap up:

For now though, it's all in place and secured:

Happy Days 8)

Things left to do:

- Smooth out and re apply vinyl to the oddments tray so it has a much better finish.
- Use vinyl cutter perhaps to cut the vinyl for the fascia so that it's a much neater, better trimmed result.
- Print bottom "cover" to neaten the final finish

Those are trivial tasks which will I'll get around to eventually but as they're small, I have still have other larger projects on the go I want to get finished up first such as my custom headlights I'm doing ;) So this is technically finished now - as it's basically just aesthetics regarding the smoothing and final vinyl layer, but it's in place, held securely and works amazingly :)

Here are screenshots of my final* designs
(* I may tweak the eventually but for now, this is my most up-to-date designs)

1) The Vent Cover / Replacement

Front:

Front Angled:

Underside:

2) The Vent Arms

Front:

Side angled:

3a) Fascia WITH VENTS

Front:

Side:

Side / Rear:

3b) Fascia WITHOUT VENTS

Front:

Rear:

4) Tray

Front:

Top:

Side/Underside:

Please do let me know what you guys think!
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:17 pm

haha, it's in! well done :D looks terrible tho, no offence!

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:18 pm

Buckz wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:17 pm haha, it's in! well done :D looks terrible tho, no offence!
None taken. Each to their own. I did mention in my post above though that the "finish" eg the vinyl layer - of both the tray and the fascia need sorting as it's not the best finish, but that's trivial compared to actually making and designing / printing everything :P
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:48 pm

IAmOrion wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:18 pm
Buckz wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:17 pm haha, it's in! well done :D looks terrible tho, no offence!
None taken. Each to their own. I did mention in my post above though that the "finish" eg the vinyl layer - of both the tray and the fascia need sorting as it's not the best finish, but that's trivial compared to actually making and designing / printing everything :P
yeah it's not the shape of the facia its the wrapping on top that makes it look terrible.

if it was me I'd probably go a full 3d print, thick coat of paint and then wet sand and another 3-4 coats of plastidip/rubber tip on top..

it would look flat/black and would blend in well with the carbon wrap on the dash :)

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:53 pm

Buckz wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:48 pm yeah it's not the shape of the facia its the wrapping on top that makes it look terrible.

if it was me I'd probably go a full 3d print, thick coat of paint and then wet sand and another 3-4 coats of plastidip/rubber tip on top..

it would look flat/black and would blend in well with the carbon wrap on the dash :)
Yeah, I agree, the finish needs to be changed, but I have other jobs (eg, my headlights) on the go atm, so will come back to the post processing at a later date.

It IS a full 3D Print, It's just I covered in vinyl instead of doing a proper post process on it (It was coating in XTC3D ready to be sanded, painted, re sanded, re painted) but I was concentrating more on the actual design and getting it all to fit and design finished :roll: . I will probably do as you say though, I was planning on using plasti-dip to finish it anyways - I already have the plasti-dip ready. :thumbsup:
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

JINGLE

Post by JINGLE » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:02 am

At least the fitting stage is done! Tweaking design and finishing is the final piece to the puzzle!

Killiestu

Post by Killiestu » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:30 am

:thumbsup: Great progress mate, the final finish is just that ..a finish, whether you wrap or paint it is just a matter of taste, I'm sure BMW took a few attempts to nail it so again top job sir :happyclap: :happyclap: :happyclap: :happyclap: