Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Adjusting lights for driving in europe

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
LordOxygen

Post by LordOxygen » Tue May 30, 2017 10:19 am

Hi, im planing a trip into europe soon and would like to know how to adjust the beams on my 2003 e85 Xenons. Ive read there are level adjusters but cant find any definitive info about beam adjustment for driving on the right.
Is there a switch or leaver to move somewhere?
Id rather not use the stickers if i can help it.
Thanks for any pointers.

samZ4M

Post by samZ4M » Tue May 30, 2017 10:32 am

little level on the back of the light box (thingy). There is a access hatch in the wheel arch liner you remove. It's a little fiddly, but you don't need to take the wheel off.

LordOxygen

Post by LordOxygen » Tue May 30, 2017 10:46 am

Super thanks.
Good you dont have to take the wheel off, will have a poke around at the weekend.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Tue May 30, 2017 11:33 am

samZ4M wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 10:32 am little level on the back of the light box (thingy). There is a access hatch in the wheel arch liner you remove. It's a little fiddly, but you don't need to take the wheel off.
I've just been messing with this stuff myself a few days ago.

Follow the info on page three of this linked thread.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6150&start=30

Note the guys pic is upside down though! :!: I can confirm that what he says about the manual being wrong on this is correct. I've got three sets of xenons here and all three have the levers in the "up" position for uk driving.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

samZ4M

Post by samZ4M » Tue May 30, 2017 9:20 pm

Good job finding the pic, I couldn't!

I agree with the up/down thing, my last Z had the same (this ones not been abroad with me), I even pointed it at a wall and flicked it several times to test (whilst the car was off, at marking the wall...!)

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RickRob » Tue May 30, 2017 9:28 pm

Adjusting the lights with this lever thing sounds a bit of a faff. Do beam deflectors work on xenons?
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

samZ4M

Post by samZ4M » Tue May 30, 2017 9:32 pm

I always thought no, but a quick google throws up places that say they do.

Personally, 10 mins adjusting the car vs. £10 on one time use stickers? I know what I'd do...

PeterGerald

Post by PeterGerald » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:38 pm

An update 2024 thanks 😊 I am planning a small trip to Europe and thought I would try and find the lever to deflect the headlight beam for driving on the RHS. I have xenons and the small lever is on the RHS of both L&R main beam bulb housings and the job whilst not difficult is potentially mucky and I wouldnt recommend doing it at the port if you have your best kit on.