Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 Purchased yesterday first mod today.

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Boris

Post by Boris » Mon May 29, 2017 4:33 pm

Well the Z4, ex our southern members Peterboroughdave arrived safe and sound in Durham and drove the 180 miles hiccup free.

Today I finished fitting the Gaptech+ auto hood system.

I say finished because I started it yesterday and couldn't get it to work :oops:

I realised overnight that the power for the unit is taken from the cigarette lighter and then realised the fuse had blown in the cigarette lighter so after figuring out which fuse it was replaced it and hey presto it worked.

But not after having to reprogram the windows because I had tried that many times to work the hood I had obviously pressed a sequence of buttons which un-programmed them. :headbang:

But all's well that ends well it does make life easier especially when the good lady is using the car.

However, while I was checking the cigarette lighter out I found a small screw in plastic grommet type thing (pic attached) which was actually in the cigarette lighter.

Does anyone recognise it where does it belong????

It actually looks like an old fashioned fuse holder end cap but as this type if fuse doesn't exist in the Z4 (I don't think) it cant be.

Any suggestions gratefully received. Dave?
Attachments
20170529_163108.jpg
20170529_163108.jpg (55.31 KiB) Viewed 886 times
Last edited by Boris on Mon May 29, 2017 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

benneyboy1

Post by benneyboy1 » Mon May 29, 2017 4:40 pm

At a guess i would say thats off one end of an old style charger/usb cable the ones that had a very chunke :driving: y connector that you plug into the cigarette lighter

Boris

Post by Boris » Mon May 29, 2017 4:46 pm

Well spotted that man I think you may be right which is how it ended up in the cigarette lighter :thumbsup:

Peterboroughdave

Post by Peterboroughdave » Mon May 29, 2017 5:21 pm

Well identified that man,

It is part of the broken plug in socket ffrom the TomTom sat nav that we used to use before it broke

Dave

Boris

Post by Boris » Mon May 29, 2017 5:27 pm

Peterboroughdave wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 5:21 pm Well identified that man,

It is part of the broken plug in socket ffrom the TomTom sat nav that we used to use before it broke

Dave
Thanks for the confirmation Dave, I can confidently put it in the bin now without wondering if I have thrown away that part which is as rare as the side top cover to replace :lol:

Peterboroughdave

Post by Peterboroughdave » Mon May 29, 2017 6:50 pm

Hi Neville,

Well done with first modification, didn't know the lighter socket fuse was blown.
Would like to do the gaptech on the new car but looks expensive on the E89 and have other things to sort first.

What else have you got planned.

Dave

Boris

Post by Boris » Mon May 29, 2017 7:17 pm

Peterboroughdave wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 6:50 pm Hi Neville,

Well done with first modification, didn't know the lighter socket fuse was blown.
Would like to do the gaptech on the new car but looks expensive on the E89 and have other things to sort first.

What else have you got planned.

Dave
Not a lot to be honest Dave, just want to get underneath and check out if there is anything I can tidy up to prevent corrosion; as I explained this is hopefully a keeper so don't want it to deteriorate before its time.

Have found a couple of stone chips, one in the boot lid strangely enough which is right down to the metal and has a rust spot starting so I've ordered a colour touch up to keep these from getting any worse.

The very front air dam, right at the bottom has obviously touched a kerb or something at some point and has a 2ft length of paint scraped off, I only noticed this while I was de bugging it after the ride home. what with that and the little bubbles in the lacquer on the bumper near the headlights I think maybe over the winter I'll have the bumper re painted to keep it right. but in all honesty there's not a lot to do you have kept it well for a 12 year old car.

Oh! and I think I've fixed the none latching roof as well, I think it was just a loose wire, time will tell.

Cheers

Neville

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon May 29, 2017 9:33 pm

That overhang is ok when it goes over the kerb - the time to worry is when it's just that little bit higher!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Boris

Post by Boris » Tue May 30, 2017 7:03 pm

ronk wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 9:33 pm That overhang is ok when it goes over the kerb - the time to worry is when it's just that little bit higher!
Yep we have some locally here at our local shops which are quite a bity higher than standard, we will have to be careful. :roll:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Tue May 30, 2017 7:07 pm

Boris wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 7:03 pm
ronk wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 9:33 pm That overhang is ok when it goes over the kerb - the time to worry is when it's just that little bit higher!
Yep we have some locally here at our local shops which are quite a bity higher than standard, we will have to be careful. :roll:
I speak from experience !

Boris

Post by Boris » Tue May 30, 2017 7:13 pm

ronk wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 7:07 pm
:rofl:

Sorry I shouldn't laugh, where are you in Durham exactly?

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Tue May 30, 2017 10:19 pm

Boris wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 7:13 pm

Bearpark - where are you?

Boris

Post by Boris » Tue May 30, 2017 10:29 pm

ronk wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 10:19 pm
Boris wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 7:13 pm

Bearpark - where are you?
Aycliffe Mate just along from Woodham Golf Club.