Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

roof up and down without gaptech

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Rusky

Post by Rusky » Thu May 25, 2017 5:41 pm

Using Carly i have programmed my roof to lower and close off the key and by george it bloody well works. :) :) :thumbsup:
3.0l Silver SMG, whippy and ginge fringe/ Sound gen mod/ Media bridge fitted (bluetooth and audio streaming) / Clear third break light/ Hard Top/ Eibachs springs and DLV back box/ Roof motor in the boot/ plus lots more.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Thu May 25, 2017 5:44 pm

Nice one. :thumbsup: This wee mod I would actually like.

Rusky

Post by Rusky » Thu May 25, 2017 5:50 pm

I used carly so if you are anywhere near cambridgeshire i could do it.
3.0l Silver SMG, whippy and ginge fringe/ Sound gen mod/ Media bridge fitted (bluetooth and audio streaming) / Clear third break light/ Hard Top/ Eibachs springs and DLV back box/ Roof motor in the boot/ plus lots more.

Rusky

Post by Rusky » Thu May 25, 2017 5:52 pm

Will post a video once it clears through photobucket. 8)

bz4kev

Post by bz4kev » Thu May 25, 2017 5:56 pm

Very interesting please explain more more didn't think this was possible :thumbsup:
2004 z4 30i auto Toledo blue stubby Areo front back sideskirts and rear spoiler M/// MFSW DLV exhaust mod mma tips vanos overhaul 108s refurbed ram air scoop E46 M3 heated seats clear rear lights M/// sport black grills

Rusky

Post by Rusky » Thu May 25, 2017 6:06 pm

I used carly. It works well open is one click followed by second click and hold. Close is 1 click and hold for the roof then second click and hold to raise the windows. Think i got that right. :roll:

Rusky

Post by Rusky » Thu May 25, 2017 6:08 pm

I have made a video of it but i get a little trigger happy with the key and pause too long between key presses but you get the drift. As soon as the video is available on photo bucket i will post the link.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Thu May 25, 2017 6:09 pm

Funny you should mention it, I got Carly today after seeing how easy it was to use a Mike's (Ducklakeviews) last week. Much quicker/easier to use the INPA, ISTA D or P.
I programmed my pre facelift 05 to do "roof up on remote" this morning among other things. I previous heard/been told conflict reports of this being doable on the pre cars. I didn't even need to buy their adapter my existing BM Cables silver lead works a treat with it. So if you have something like that already there's £35 potentially saved.
The only drawback I had was that the Gaptech + is 3 clicks and you can walk off knowing it will do the roof and windows without any further intervention. With Carly I first have to close the roof then release the key for a second before repressing and holding to do the windows. Not the end of the world I know!
Last edited by MACK on Thu May 25, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Rusky

Post by Rusky » Thu May 25, 2017 6:12 pm

Yeah Mack its not a fire and forget like gaptech but its an improvement for getting the car ready on a hot sunny day :thumbsup: 8)

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Thu May 25, 2017 6:18 pm

Rusky wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 6:12 pm Yeah Mack its not a fire and forget like gaptech but its an improvement for getting the car ready on a hot sunny day :thumbsup: 8)
Definitely. My car came with a Gaptech + luckily, but having seen this working in the flesh now if I had £100 to throw at my car and it was a choice between Gaptech + or Carly and adapter I'd go with Carly for the extra stuff it allows you to do/check etc and live with the minor loss of the three clicks and walk away Gaptech + give you. :thumbsup:
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Rusky

Post by Rusky » Thu May 25, 2017 6:21 pm

Yes indeedy Mack. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

dpbayly1

Post by dpbayly1 » Thu May 25, 2017 6:29 pm

I had this activated on my E46 a few years back and it works well but the only down side is you need to stand there holding the remote because if your walking away and lose contact it stops where as with in my case my Smart top module I don't know if this differs from the Gaptech you press the lock or unlock button 3 times and leave it to do it's thing and you get the obvious advantage of the one touch and using the roof up and down up to 25mph.

But as a free be mod using the tool you had you cant complain

dans6490

Post by dans6490 » Thu May 25, 2017 6:29 pm

I'm really confused. My new to me z, needs 10 x clicks to remotely open/close the roof.

The previous owner knew nothing about it and I can't work out how/why it does it.

Any ideas?

Rusky

Post by Rusky » Thu May 25, 2017 7:07 pm

dans6490 wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 6:29 pm I'm really confused. My new to me z, needs 10 x clicks to remotely open/close the roof.

The previous owner knew nothing about it and I can't work out how/why it does it.

Any ideas?
Not sure on that one, have you tried just holding the button pressed. 👍

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Thu May 25, 2017 7:08 pm

dans6490 wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 6:29 pm I'm really confused. My new to me z, needs 10 x clicks to remotely open/close the roof.

Any ideas?
With the car locked, press and hold the unlock button. Keep holding whilst windows and roof come down. Only release the button once the operation is finished.

Do the opposite to put the roof back up.

It needs to be coded in, so you may not have this feature available on your Z4 yet.

It doesn't always work and sometimes loses contact half way through, so you end up looking like a complete lemon whilst your roof looks like half finished scaffolding with a cover on :lol:

Gaptech is far easier and more reliable. Only reason I removed my Gaptech was due to the crappy connectors it came with. Needs soldering into the existing wiring, ideally.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.