Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Look what my son did to my new Z4

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Mon May 15, 2017 8:31 am

bulmor wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 8:00 am
enzed4 wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 2:30 am If you end up sourcing mismatched panels (although it looks like members here have given a few good pointers towards Titan Silver panels), you could always look at it as an opportunity to wrap the car, in silver, or any colour in the range that takes your fancy.
I doubt it will be as cheap as sourcing second hand panels of the same colour though - a good wrap is not cheap.
Certainly an option, though I thought wraps only lasted a couple of years?
Quick google search gave this info from a vinayl wrap company:
A well cared for vinyl wrap can last for up to 7 years. (We've seen some last longer, but these were mostly show cars that didn't see much time outside.) We usually give a lifespan of 5-7 years for our color change films (3M, Avery, etc…) and 5 years for our digitally printed wraps.
So, should be no problem with longevity if done well. :thumbsup:
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Mon May 15, 2017 10:42 am

kis wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 10:31 pm Really depends on how long you want to take? If your willing to wait I'm sure you can pick up panels already in Titan Silver.

Have you heard back from insurance yet? Think the "project" is a really viable option.

In regards to soft top, I'm sure if you don't have garage space then a hardtop would tie you over till you can get a good condition second hand one.
Good shout
I've found two rear quarter panels (R and L) and a bonnet in Titan if you're interested. Think they're in good condition. No idea how much but if you want I'm sure I can get them from the breakers and sort something out to get them to you.
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher » Mon May 15, 2017 2:50 pm

I really feel for you but .... if it was me I wouldn't even consider repairing it. It's all very well saying you can buy this, replace that, get it sprayed, everything bolts on etc. Do you really want all that hassle? If it was ever finished to your satisfaction you'd always have the memory of the event and what the car looked like! Take the insurance money, try to forget the awful experience and go out and buy another Z4 ..... in a different colour!
I really hope you manage to get over the whole sorry experience and have no more grief ... and rent a garage somewhere as well ... maybe from one of those neighbours! Good luck! ... :driving:
Dec 2014 ... E89 35is sDrive M DCT ... Red ... :driving:

bulmor

Post by bulmor » Mon May 15, 2017 7:44 pm

enzed4 wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 8:31 am
enzed4 wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 2:30 am If you end up sourcing mismatched panels (although it looks like members here have given a few good pointers towards Titan Silver panels), you could always look at it as an opportunity to wrap the car, in silver, or any colour in the range that takes your fancy.
I doubt it will be as cheap as sourcing second hand panels of the same colour though - a good wrap is not cheap.
Certainly an option, though I thought wraps only lasted a couple of years?
Quick google search gave this info from a vinayl wrap company:
A well cared for vinyl wrap can last for up to 7 years. (We've seen some last longer, but these were mostly show cars that didn't see much time outside.) We usually give a lifespan of 5-7 years for our color change films (3M, Avery, etc…) and 5 years for our digitally printed wraps.
So, should be no problem with longevity if done well. :thumbsup:
Wow, longer than I thought, thank you.

bulmor

Post by bulmor » Mon May 15, 2017 7:45 pm

kis wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 10:42 am
kis wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 10:31 pm Really depends on how long you want to take? If your willing to wait I'm sure you can pick up panels already in Titan Silver.

Have you heard back from insurance yet? Think the "project" is a really viable option.

In regards to soft top, I'm sure if you don't have garage space then a hardtop would tie you over till you can get a good condition second hand one.
Good shout
I've found two rear quarter panels (R and L) and a bonnet in Titan if you're interested. Think they're in good condition. No idea how much but if you want I'm sure I can get them from the breakers and sort something out to get them to you.
Thanks Kis, still debating it all. Insurance told me I should find out this week which way they're going, so good to chew the fat with you guys now, so I am prepared when the call and options come.

bulmor

Post by bulmor » Mon May 15, 2017 7:46 pm

Kingfisher wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 2:50 pm I really feel for you but .... if it was me I wouldn't even consider repairing it. It's all very well saying you can buy this, replace that, get it sprayed, everything bolts on etc. Do you really want all that hassle? If it was ever finished to your satisfaction you'd always have the memory of the event and what the car looked like! Take the insurance money, try to forget the awful experience and go out and buy another Z4 ..... in a different colour!
I really hope you manage to get over the whole sorry experience and have no more grief ... and rent a garage somewhere as well ... maybe from one of those neighbours! Good luck! ... :driving:
Thanks Kingfisher. I think I've managed to put the experience in a box, though the 'it could happen again' thing has crossed my mind. Not sure I would handle it so calmly the next time, but god forbid it does, I do.

Sportbilly

Post by Sportbilly » Thu May 18, 2017 1:01 pm

I have the exact same car, model, colour the lot and love the thing. I scraped the back passenger side quarter panel and was gutted so I can't imagine how you must feel. Hope you managed to get it sorted.
E85 3.0i SE

Carmad84

Post by Carmad84 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:30 am

Have you heard from the insurers yet?

bulmor

Post by bulmor » Sat May 27, 2017 12:23 pm

Since everyone was so supportive, I thought it only fair that I gave everyone an update.

The car was written off, apparently £7k of damage, but obviously that is putting everything back together with new parts etc. The initially offered me £4.4k less the £350 access. Since to buy a like for like replacement was minimum £6.5k I refused this. After some hard negotiation (and a little touch of ombudsman), we finally settled on £5.7k less excess = £5.3k in my pocket. I did ask as many of you suggested re keeping the car, however they were only willing to sell back to me for £2k. Having done the maths, plus needing a car which, once thrown in the pot with my honest interpretation of mechanical skills and owned tools..... I felt the numbers simply didn't add up. So with much regret had to let her go (Sorry Tim).

Since the money I received simply wasn't enough and, the fact that I am now pretty skint (I had just spent out £900 getting her tip top before the event), I was unable to find a suitable replacement with the correct mileage/year/extras etc. I suspect this is mainly down to seasonal fluctuations as much as anything.

Know doubt with a little criticism from some club members, we ended up replacing the car with a SLK 350, that I was able to pick up within the money I had. The car has a great deal of electrics on it, with a few not working. Therefore this was the perfect opportunity for me to get a vehicle within budget, that was roadworthy (so could get to work), with some additional extras not working that I would be able to sort once my money situation has improved. Ended up getting her for £4550. Can give you guys an honest 'user (rather than numbers)' comparison if you wish.

Anyway, just wanted to thank everyone for their support. It was a really difficult time for us, not least that the problems were created by my son which left me sitting somewhere between anger and sorrow, with no idea which way I was supposed to think about it. Believe it or not, it was you guys who helped me process stuff, for which I am eternally grateful.

I appreciate that getting the SLK may kinda exclude me from some of the discussions on here (birds of a feather and all that), however I don't think my Z4 days are over. I think if I get another, I will go for a Z4M, but not yet, just not yet.

Thanks guys, you've been brilliant :-)

TR4man

Post by TR4man » Sat May 27, 2017 1:36 pm

Hopefully this episode is now all sorted and you can draw a line under it and move on. Must have been a nightmare few weeks for you. I think you'll find that many of us appreciate good cars regardless from which manufacturer they come from and I'm sure that a SLK350 will have many admirers on here, so let's see some pictures!
2006 E86 Si Sport as a daily driver.

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Sat May 27, 2017 2:07 pm

Sorry to hear, insurance can be a real pain. With that being said enjoy the new car and I'm glad to hear you're back on the road :driving:

Kis
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat May 27, 2017 11:56 pm

Great to read an update OP! :thumbsup:

SLK 350 sounds like a good option - convertible but a metal roof. :) (A bit like an E89)!

Good to see that you have dealt with events in a very positive fashion!

Hope you enjoy the SLK, but surely photos are overdue! :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sun May 28, 2017 1:00 am

Hi, glad its finally sorted & you can move on-don't be a stranger now you have a Mercedes as you can still look in on here
(you're just not allowed to say anything) :)
Only kidding of course, get some pics up- chop chop :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

b-m-boy

Post by b-m-boy » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:02 pm

Tragic story man, but i'd wager you've come out this end stronger & wiser after the event, and dude there's not at all wrong with an SLK350 and if you're ever out driving round top down and think to yourself "this ain't no z4" just think to yourself ...coulda been worse, coulda been an mx5!! Lol

Tcochrane92

Post by Tcochrane92 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:26 pm

Would like to see some pics Mark and a write up review comparison :)
Current: Imola Red 400bhp 640d & Ocean Blue BMW S1000XR Sport SE
Past: Silver Grey Z4MR, Silver Grey Z4C & Titan Silver Z4 3.0i