Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What a bleeding faff

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
NickDE

What a bleeding faff

Post by NickDE » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:33 pm

Today I finally got round to fitting the higher output H7 bulbs that have been sitting on my shelf for a couple of months. I was finally driven to it by one bulb blowing and the amber warning light coming on.
First I checked the owner manual - sounds dead easy - wheel over onto full lock, open the little hatch, remove headlight cover, remove bulb, insert new, reassemble.
Why doesn't it tell you that the little hatch only opens if you turn the catches the opposite way to the description, the headlight cover is almost impossible to remove, the bulb holder goes back in but doesn't lock into place, and the headlamp cover is impossible to get back into place without accidentally popping open the bonnet ?
Oh, and the only way to get realistic access is to take the wheel off :dizzy: Luckily my trusty old E46 could supply a wheel brace and jack.
IMG_1839.JPG
IMG_1839.JPG (80.82 KiB) Viewed 704 times
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

buzyg
Legend
Legend

What a bleeding faff

Post by buzyg » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:44 pm

It's ok it's all over now. Deep breaths. 1,2,3 and relax. :wink:

Spikey

What a bleeding faff

Post by Spikey » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:00 am

Can sympathise with this - replacing my xenon bulb took waaaaaay longer than it should have - easy to get out - pig to secure back in :thumbsdown:

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

What a bleeding faff

Post by markeg » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:05 am

Agree - it is a total faff, not a good design at all.

Not to add to your stress, but I hope you lubricated the rubber seal and made sure it was seated properly before replacing the back on the headlight, else you'll be seeing some misting up soon.
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

What a bleeding faff

Post by RickRob » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:15 am

I thought that I'd never ever write this, but I went to Halfords and they fitted my replacement xenon bulb in 10 minutes and it works! Apparently Halford's staff have to be specially trained to fit Xenons and fortunately the guy who did mine (Nathan at their Broadbridge Heath, West Sussex branch) had done several before. :)
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

What a bleeding faff

Post by Marlon » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:53 am

I had a similar nightmare the first time, but it gets easier once you've done it a few times (without needing to take the wheel off). Hope you never need to change the one of the indicator bulbs :headbang:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

What a bleeding faff

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:18 am

I still find it easier to whip the wheel off.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

NickDE

What a bleeding faff

Post by NickDE » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:20 am

buzyg wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:44 pm It's ok it's all over now. Deep breaths. 1,2,3 and relax. :wink:
Having managed a bulb change, I now have the confidence to go for springs, shockers and brakes swap :)

NickDE

What a bleeding faff

Post by NickDE » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:22 am

markeg wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:05 am Not to add to your stress, but I hope you lubricated the rubber seal and made sure it was seated properly
I did remember this (thanks to other threads on here). I also used the opportunity to use up the last of my favourite detailing spray on the wheelarch liners.