Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rear view mirror fixing with new windscreen.

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
DMC63

Post by DMC63 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:57 pm

So I've got the ok to have my windscreen replaced. I dawned upon me today that the rear view mirror is stuck to the windscreen, or is it? There's a pad between the mirror support arm and the windscreen. Is this a fixing or is the mirror fixes to the bodywork and braced against the glass? What happens to the rear view mirror when the windscreen is replaced?
BMW Z4 2003 2.5i and lots of bits and pieces - 2016 - 2020 Sold

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:08 pm

New windscreen comes with an adhesive sticker in the correct location for the fitter to remove & reattach.

If you've got a rain-sensor, sun-band or some other non-standard screen you'll have to make sure they bring the correct windscreen.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Glassman

Post by Glassman » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:02 am

mmm-five wrote:New windscreen comes with an adhesive sticker in the correct location for the fitter to remove & reattach.

If you've got a rain-sensor, sun-band or some other non-standard screen you'll have to make sure they bring the correct windscreen.
The new windscreen will come with a mirror mounting bracket (or boss) attached. Some of the more cheaper branded windscreens will require the old one to be transferred over. If there is a rain sensor on the car, that too will be on the new windscreen. FYI, it is bonded (with an appropriate adhesive) and not a 'sticker' of any sort.

The best available products are always OE 'BMW' branded. If the fitting company says the non OE windscreen they propose to fit is 'as good' or has the BMW logo removed, they don't know what they're talking about or are trying to mug you off.