Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Brake Calipers

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
jaydon9269

Brake Calipers

Post by jaydon9269 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:18 pm

Hi

Does anyone know the best calipers (other than BMW ones) to buy
for a 2005 Z4 2.0i

Ed Doe

Brake Calipers

Post by Ed Doe » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:35 pm

What are you trying to achieve, performance or Aesthetics?

Various pricey options for increasing performance and improving Aesthetics - D2, AP racing, stop tech, hispec etc... Or there are adapter kits for the 6 pot bmw performance calipers, or porsche Boxster s calipers to go with M discs.

For improving performance on a more modest budget I'd suggest some decent pads on oe discs.

Before doing anything though I'd recommend a brake fluid change.
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Brake Calipers

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:42 pm

If you provide more detail to f what you want to achieve it will help make answers better focussed
For a straight replacement Europarts do some good deals
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Brake Calipers

Post by kis » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:58 am

jaydon9269 wrote:Hi

for a 2005 Z4 2.0i
As a cheap option you can retrofit e46 330 brakes? A good guide available here which I used for my upgrade project. What was your intention with the calliper change? Performance?
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

Marius

Brake Calipers

Post by Marius » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:24 am

kis wrote:

for a 2005 Z4 2.0i
As a cheap option you can retrofit e46 330 brakes? A good guide available here which I used for my upgrade project. What was your intention with the calliper change? Performance?
it's actually not that cheap if you use good parts ,and it's not worth the hassle because they not goanna be anything you expect them to be .

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Brake Calipers

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:24 am

Marius wrote:
kis wrote:

for a 2005 Z4 2.0i
it's actually not that cheap if you use good parts ,and it's not worth the hassle because they not goanna be anything you expect them to be .
Marius - I have to disagree about the difference. It's considerable, having had the car before and driven on it for several years post conversion. It's with good reason BMW upgraded to these as standard post facelift on larger engine variants

Parts can be expensive if you buy the lot straight off, but nothing compared to so called big brake conversions. If you time it to when you need new disks and pads then a pair of calipers at £80 each, carriers from a breakers (if you cant find calipers) is all the incremental cost plus slightly more for pads and disks
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Joycey

Brake Calipers

Post by Joycey » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:58 am

cj10jeeper wrote:
Marius wrote:
kis wrote:
Marius - I have to disagree about the difference. It's considerable, having had the car before and driven on it for several years post conversion. It's with good reason BMW upgraded to these as standard post facelift on larger engine variants

Parts can be expensive if you buy the lot straight off, but nothing compared to so called big brake conversions. If you time it to when you need new disks and pads then a pair of calipers at £80 each, carriers from a breakers (if you cant find calipers) is all the incremental cost plus slightly more for pads and disks
Second that Cj, I do this mod for quite a few z3 owners who have the 1.9-2.2 engine sizes. The difference is very noticeable.

jaydon9269

Brake Calipers

Post by jaydon9269 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:04 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:If you provide more detail to f what you want to achieve it will help make answers better focussed
Hi, Thank you for the replay to my question.
It was actually just for a straight replacement. My front right calliper
looks as if it is the original one fitted when the Z4 was new in 2005
It's showing a lot of rust and spoiling the look of the wheel.
The front left calliper looks a lot better and looks as if it has been
replaced since the car was registered.
It may be wiser to wait until I need front pads and replace everything
at the same time.

Ed Doe

Brake Calipers

Post by Ed Doe » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:07 am

Wouldn't bother replacing them if there's just a little corrosion on the outside face. Wire brush it with some brake cleaner and spray it silver or something and it'll look much fresher for almost no outlay at all. I did this to mine a year ago, it still looks fine now!
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Brake Calipers

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:23 am

I "upgraded" mine with (new) bigger 325mm discs and used calipers from a 330d, the difference was vast, and I already had 300mm discs as mine is a 3.0L. Stopping power and pedal feel were greatly improved.

Mike

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Brake Calipers

Post by kis » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:00 am

jaydon9269 wrote:
cj10jeeper wrote:If you provide more detail to f what you want to achieve it will help make answers better focussed
Hi, Thank you for the replay to my question.
It was actually just for a straight replacement. My front right calliper
looks as if it is the original one fitted when the Z4 was new in 2005
It's showing a lot of rust and spoiling the look of the wheel.
The front left calliper looks a lot better and looks as if it has been
replaced since the car was registered.
It may be wiser to wait until I need front pads and replace everything
at the same time.
I'd echo what's been said already. You don't really need to change them. If the 'rusty' one is old and ceasing then that's a different story.

If you're after more performance based change then the e46 330 (petrol or diesel) front calipers are direct bolt on like Ducklakeview said.

Otherwise just stick with a wire brush and a coat of hammerite in your choice of colour!
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71