Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fitting new windscreen

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
csquire4

Fitting new windscreen

Post by csquire4 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:44 pm

I would advise you go to on of their fitting centres rather than doing it on the drive. A dry, covered fitting centre with all the tools handy and possibly extra parts if required is better than doing it outside. They'll also have extra pair of hands available if there's a problem.

Personally, I would not (corrected) worry about OEM versus other glass. The biggest worry is the quality of fitting.
Last edited by csquire4 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 3.0i, manual, toledo blue

DMC63

Fitting new windscreen

Post by DMC63 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:50 pm

csquire4 wrote:I would advise you go to on of their fitting centres rather than doing it on the drive. A dry, covered fitting centre with all the tools handy and possibly extra parts if required is better than doing it outside. They'll also have extra pair of hands available if there's a problem.

Personally, I would worry about OEM versus other glass. The biggest worry is the quality of fitting.
That makes good sense, I'll go to a centre. My screen is a Pilkington. No Bmw stamp. I'm more concerned with having the correct tint. Not really bothered about the green band, tbh the green band is a bit dated.
BMW Z4 2003 2.5i and lots of bits and pieces - 2016 - 2020 Sold

csquire4

Fitting new windscreen

Post by csquire4 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:59 pm

I meant to say I would NOT worry OEM verusus other glass, I need to proof read, sorry :headbang:
2004 3.0i, manual, toledo blue

TomK

Fitting new windscreen

Post by TomK » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:21 am

DMC63 wrote: Is your pilkington screen green tinted to match the other windows?
Yep it was identical to the BMW screen removed (marked as pilkington also), same tint, sunstrip, and the auto rain sensor thing worked exactly as before.
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

TomK

Fitting new windscreen

Post by TomK » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:10 pm

DMC63 wrote:Has anyone recently fitted a new windscreen in an E85? If so, how much did it cost, what other bits did you replace or would recommend replacing with the screen?
If you live near london and your car doesn't have a rain sensor you could do worse that get this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-BMW-Z ... Swr~lYnnov

and you'll need this rubber
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-BMW-Z ... SwHxVW67-N
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

DMC63

Fitting new windscreen

Post by DMC63 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:21 pm

TomK wrote:
DMC63 wrote:Has anyone recently fitted a new windscreen in an E85? If so, how much did it cost, what other bits did you replace or would recommend replacing with the screen?
If you live near london and your car doesn't have a rain sensor you could do worse that get this

Thanks for the link. Wow, that's tempting. Tbh, I was initially set on the oem with green band and green tint. But I've kinda gone off the green tint. I've gotten used to the clear glass that's in. I'm now torn between to the two. The Pilkington won't cost me anything either so that's kinda swinging me that way.

DMC63

Fitting new windscreen

Post by DMC63 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:59 pm

TomK wrote:

Decided to go and buy the screen on ebay. As described, brand new in all it's packaging. Great guy, paid £165.A new one costs £281 inc VAT from dealers. Rubbers are cheaper at the dealers than the link, £27 inc VAT. Dealers new scuttle cover and all the clips £120 inc VAT, mines a bit tired after 13 years on the road. I'm not going to involve my insurance company. I've heard that it goes down as a claim and has to be declared on new insurance applications. And of course the cost increases. I never stay with the same insurance company. It's always been cheaper to move on. Approx cost for Euroglass or one of the like to fit is around £90 inv VAT.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Fitting new windscreen

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:40 pm

Windscreens don't count as claims nor do they affect NCB or need declaring as claims
Can't say I understand buying a screen then paying for fitting when usual insurance price is around £75
and you get all the warranties.

For sure supply a new scuttle and oem rubbers

Regardless I hope the fitting works well and you get a good result
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Fitting new windscreen

Post by ben g » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:36 pm

You've just paid a lot more than you needed to :headbang: :thumbsdown:

I've had 3 windscreens in 5 years. None have counted as a claim.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.