Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

auto owners.

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
jimmybell

auto owners.

Post by jimmybell » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:40 pm

You start a drag race with your foot on the brake? :p
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
M135i LCI - ZF8, White, HK Audio, Adaptive
--
GONE Z4 M Coupe, Imola, CSLs
GONE C63 AMG, Black, Performance Pack+, LSD, HK

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

auto owners.

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:59 pm

jimmybell wrote:You start a drag race with your foot on the brake? :p

In an auto, that can be beneficial - Left foot on brake as lights go amber, build revs to 1,750-2,000, and let the brake go as you floor the throttle...

Mike

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

auto owners.

Post by ronk » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:37 pm

Have the later Auto E89 s got launch control?
I know our 335xd has and it's a real hoot - it s like being sat in a catapult sling!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

auto owners.

Post by mr wilks » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:44 pm

Steve84N wrote:I'm with GuidoK, a lot of the comments seem to imply that it's just too hard to drive a manual well. Come on, it's not really is it? I can't recall ever having a problem getting off the line quickly, the only thing that can hinder is the TC in its fully on state. Switching to DSC makes a marked difference, albeit I now have an LSD too... :evil:
Not all clutches & gearboxes are alike though :wink: try a swift , smooth & rapid start with a ZM that doesn't involve much noise & strange smells :roll: slick they aint , by comparison my sons Scirocco R manual just rips away smooth as you like :(
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

jimmybell

auto owners.

Post by jimmybell » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:22 pm

Ducklakeview wrote:

In an auto, that can be beneficial - Left foot on brake as lights go amber, build revs to 1,750-2,000, and let the brake go as you floor the throttle...

Mike
Sure, but the example was in a manual you'd have to move your foot to the accelerator..

Effectively, why are we debating if an old style autobox is faster than a manual?

even BMW's figures highlight how much slower it is.

The only time it might be faster is if it's more efficient/easier at changing gear more often, thus you may naturally get into the right RPM range more often than you would if you were being lazy in a manual (real world driving here..).
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
M135i LCI - ZF8, White, HK Audio, Adaptive
--
GONE Z4 M Coupe, Imola, CSLs
GONE C63 AMG, Black, Performance Pack+, LSD, HK

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

auto owners.

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:41 pm

jimmybell wrote:
Ducklakeview wrote:

Mike
Sure, but the example was in a manual you'd have to move your foot to the accelerator..

Effectively, why are we debating if an old style autobox is faster than a manual?

even BMW's figures highlight how much slower it is.

The only time it might be faster is if it's more efficient/easier at changing gear more often, thus you may naturally get into the right RPM range more often than you would if you were being lazy in a manual (real world driving here..).
Even the "old" ZF 5-HP in the E85 changes gear quicker than any driver can, and with much less strain on the drivetrain than "snatching" the next gear as fast as possible in a manual. The difference in acceleration is due mainly to the fact that a torque converter provides a "liquid coupling" rather than the pure mechanical drive from a manual, however as I said earlier, the torque multiplication effect of this means you actually get more torque to the rear wheels for a given engine RPM when taking off, hence the "shove in the back" feeling in the auto.

Mike

RedLine

auto owners.

Post by RedLine » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:58 pm

It took me a little while to realise just how quick my 3.0Si Auto was when pulling away. My first auto ever so its difficult to compare on experience.
Yes its possible to be quicker in a manual but not time and time again for all but the very skilled, for most probably not even 2 out of 10.

I know of a set of lights where is great fun to gently and quietly pull up in the left hand lane of three at a traffic island all leading onto a motorway. All the hot hatches etc queueing in the middle and right hand lane expecting to fight their way to the front where three lanes run into two and beat you into the bargain.
When the lights change floor the loud pedal and I've never been close to being overtaken by the wannabes. Always left in the mirror.

The trick is that after about 1/2 mile there's a bend and an area on the right where theres usually one of the local constabulary hiding out of sight. Having reached the speed limit just ease off and let the others race by occasionally to be greeted by blue lights. Ethical - probably not, but great fun. Of course there are faster cars about. Nearly always 1:0 though and sometimes 2:0!
Z4 3.0L SI SPORT (in Montego Blue and Champagne Leather)
Z4 20i SDrive Msport
Land Rover Freelander 2 HSE
Previous - BMW 118i Convertible : Audi A3 : Jaguar S-Type : Audi A4 2.5 TDI Avant

Johnbmwz4

auto owners.

Post by Johnbmwz4 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:25 pm

My 3.5i DCT has launch control, or at least it says it has in the handbook. Never used it though, I had an auto 3.0 E85 before the 3.5 DCT and it was rapid from standstill beating anything I tried at traffic lights. It felt faster than my E89 at setting off but I think that's because it feels like a much smaller car and is much lighter. I'm on my 4th auto car and love them. I drive a manual transit through the day and get totally fed up changing gears when stuck in traffic etc . Autos have come on a lot from the 80s and there are a lot more on the road now than that era too
BMW E89 3.5i M Sport manual, loving it….
Audi S5 Cab, Great car but not special enough….
BMW E89 3.5i DCT, Havana Brown, should never have sold it…..
BMW E85 3.0 Auto, sadly missed (twice)

NickDE

auto owners.

Post by NickDE » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:29 pm

RedLine wrote:It took me a little while to realise just how quick my 3.0Si Auto was when pulling away. My first auto ever so its difficult to compare on experience.
Yes its possible to be quicker in a manual but not time and time again for all but the very skilled, for most probably not even 2 out of 10.

I know of a set of lights where is great fun to gently and quietly pull up in the left hand lane of three at a traffic island all leading onto a motorway. All the hot hatches etc queueing in the middle and right hand lane expecting to fight their way to the front where three lanes run into two and beat you into the bargain.
When the lights change floor the loud pedal and I've never been close to being overtaken by the wannabes. Always left in the mirror.

The trick is that after about 1/2 mile there's a bend and an area on the right where theres usually one of the local constabulary hiding out of sight. Having reached the speed limit just ease off and let the others race by occasionally to be greeted by blue lights. Ethical - probably not, but great fun. Of course there are faster cars about. Nearly always 1:0 though and sometimes 2:0!
Totally unethical and evil. :D
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

auto owners.

Post by ronk » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:08 am

Johnbmwz4 wrote:My 3.5i DCT has launch control, or at least it says it has in the handbook. Never used it though, I had an auto 3.0 E85 before the 3.5 DCT and it was rapid from standstill beating anything I tried at traffic lights. It felt faster than my E89 at setting off but I think that's because it feels like a much smaller car and is much lighter. I'm on my 4th auto car and love them. I drive a manual transit through the day and get totally fed up changing gears when stuck in traffic etc . Autos have come on a lot from the 80s and there are a lot more on the road now than that era too
If you haven't tried it - then you must use it once at least - you will be amazed! Take a tip tho, find a straight and quiet bit of road. The acceleration feels like one big relentless push.
The only reason I haven't used it on my car is it's only done 1k before going into hibernation.

I note your comments re 80's Autos ! 3 speed Borg Warner boxes - awful in the extreme. If auto boxes were like that now I would not have one.

I don't think many auto users return to a manual.

Johnbmwz4

auto owners.

Post by Johnbmwz4 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:22 am

Ha ha yeah I think my mate had a 1981 Honda Civic which was an auto and 1 of the 3 gears was reverse I think ha ha. To be honest when I put the car in sport plus from standstill it scares me to death with the back end squirming all over the place so I don't think I'll use the launch control just yet.
BMW E89 3.5i M Sport manual, loving it….
Audi S5 Cab, Great car but not special enough….
BMW E89 3.5i DCT, Havana Brown, should never have sold it…..
BMW E85 3.0 Auto, sadly missed (twice)

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

auto owners.

Post by ronk » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:28 am

It was a pals 335xd I tried the launch control and on a dry road - with 650Nm (ish) of torque and good traction, it would be a very fast car to catch it.

Steve84N

auto owners.

Post by Steve84N » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:41 am

Johnbmwz4 wrote:My 3.5i DCT has launch control, or at least it says it has in the handbook. Never used it though, I had an auto 3.0 E85 before the 3.5 DCT and it was rapid from standstill beating anything I tried at traffic lights.
The 35 is still a 3.0. :wink:
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

STUBOY2UK

auto owners.

Post by STUBOY2UK » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:47 am

In 'real life' driving, yes I do. I'm talking about just beating someone away from the lights, not sitting there eyeing each other up whilst revving the engine and having a full on race :rofl:
Z4R 3.0si Sport auto. So far: 19" CSLs, Eibachs, MM exhaust tips, de-badged rear, stubby, black grilles, spacers, aux cable, interior LEDs, LED boot strip......

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

auto owners.

Post by ronk » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:57 am

Steve84N wrote:
Johnbmwz4 wrote:My 3.5i DCT has launch control, or at least it says it has in the handbook. Never used it though, I had an auto 3.0 E85 before the 3.5 DCT and it was rapid from standstill beating anything I tried at traffic lights.
The 35 is still a 3.0. :wink:
The nomenclature that Bmw have doesn't make a lot of sense does it? 1.8 and 2.3 both 2.0l ( I think!)