Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fitting Grom USB3...

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Steve84N

Fitting Grom USB3...

Post by Steve84N » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:19 pm

I'm trying to fit a Grom USB3 and I've got the bulkhead exposed as per below but I can only find the six pin connector... Where should I be looking for the 3 pin that goes to a CD changer if you had one? The boxes I have on the wall are shown in the picture. I've found a 3 pin plug near the middle but it's connected and I believe is part of the phone wiring. Do I have DSP after all and need another loom? I didn't think I did.

PS: I have satnav.

Any pointers much appreciated.

Thanks

Steve
DSC_1294.JPG
DSC_1294.JPG (52.26 KiB) Viewed 2458 times
DSC_1295.JPG
DSC_1295.JPG (58.26 KiB) Viewed 2458 times
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Fitting Grom USB3...

Post by markplant » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:35 pm

If you go into the display on sat nav are there any sound settings other than bass treble
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Steve84N

Fitting Grom USB3...

Post by Steve84N » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:43 pm

No and I've just looked up my VIN and there's no DSP listed but it does say Preparation, BMW 6-CD changer I-bus.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

Steve84N

Fitting Grom USB3...

Post by Steve84N » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:48 pm

Problem solved, it was tucked up right inside that cubby hole!
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Fitting Grom USB3...

Post by markplant » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:56 pm

Is the cables , brown, a white with yellow dots and a green with red stripe
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

NickDE

Fitting Grom USB3...

Post by NickDE » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:09 pm

Have you got more photos ? I'm planning Gromming my E86 and would love to know what to expect before I start...
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

stupot67

Fitting Grom USB3...

Post by stupot67 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:23 pm

Steve84N wrote:I'm trying to fit a Grom USB3 and I've got the bulkhead exposed as per below but I can only find the six pin connector... Where should I be looking for the 3 pin that goes to a CD changer if you had one? The boxes I have on the wall are shown in the picture. I've found a 3 pin plug near the middle but it's connected and I believe is part of the phone wiring. Do I have DSP after all and need another loom? I didn't think I did.

Thanks

Steve

DSC_1294.JPG
DSC_1295.JPG
Hi Steve,

When you've got the Grom up and going how about a quick review. I've been mulling the idea for a while, using the Bluetooth extension to stream music (mic not connected) with phone calls handled by the OEM equipment. Loads of Intravee users on here, but I don't Apple gear.

Stu.

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Fitting Grom USB3...

Post by MrPT » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:34 pm

stupot67 wrote:
Steve84N wrote:I'm trying to fit a Grom USB3 and I've got the bulkhead exposed as per below but I can only find the six pin connector... Where should I be looking for the 3 pin that goes to a CD changer if you had one? The boxes I have on the wall are shown in the picture. I've found a 3 pin plug near the middle but it's connected and I believe is part of the phone wiring. Do I have DSP after all and need another loom? I didn't think I did.

Thanks

Steve

DSC_1294.JPG
DSC_1295.JPG
Hi Steve,

When you've got the Grom up and going how about a quick review. I've been mulling the idea for a while, using the Bluetooth extension to stream music (mic not connected) with phone calls handled by the OEM equipment. Loads of Intravee users on here, but I don't Apple gear.

Stu.
Yes please, Steve. I'm in the same boat (car). :thumbsup:
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Matt85

Fitting Grom USB3...

Post by Matt85 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:10 pm

I got problem with my grom, i got dsp unit , bought dsp kit, done all conection today stereo recognise grom usb tracks displaying but no sound :headbang: have to call grom customer service tomorrow
Brembo discs, custom 19 alloys,msport suspension bushes,k&n air filter,msport seats,msport steering wheels,interior carbon wraped+custom paint job few interior parts,MMexhaust ends,grom usb3 with Bluetooth,tinted headlights,rear lights.

Mangozac

Fitting Grom USB3...

Post by Mangozac » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:24 pm

I'm really interested to hear what the user interface is like with Nav. My Dension Gateway leaves a bit to be desired in that department :/
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

Steve84N

Fitting Grom USB3...

Post by Steve84N » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:00 am

Right, so both connectors are in or hanging out of that hole in the bulkhead. Very simple to just plug in the Grom unit. Then you have to get the input/output wires somewhere accessible. I have one USB female socket for plugging in a USB memory stick for music that will also connect to a phone if you prefer. Then I bought the AUX in with extra USB female socket purely used for charging a device. The two are spliced into one lead and must be plugged into the EXT2 socket on the Grom. All the cables they supply have clips integrated in them unlike normal USB plugs to stop them falling out in a vibration environment.

I chose not to pull the front of my car apart and simply drilled two 13mm holes next to each other in the lowest centre cubby hole. Then use a file to straighten out the sides. The lowest cubby hole is actually a removable box and it will move about in situ but it won't come out of the car unless you disassemble the centre console. I managed to do it all on the car by drilling from the boot side then hoover up the mess. I used sticky Velcro to attach the Grom plus its fuse box to the bulkhead and then a mixture of the wire tires the cables had on already plus cable ties plus the existing car anchored cable ties to secure all the wiring. The key for me was ensuring nothing is loose enough to rattle and also to anchor the middle of the cables that are routed to the front at a maximum length I was happy with. This stops you accidentally pulling too hard on them from in the car and pulling them out of the Grom. The anchored car tie near the middle is ideal for this. You can also see some of the cable ties I used to hold the excess cable to the framework for the other electronics already there. Inside the centre storage box I then cable tied all three wires together to stop one accidentally sliding back into the boot as they won't fit through the hole as a three.
DSC_1296.JPG
DSC_1296.JPG (68.73 KiB) Viewed 2314 times
DSC_1296.JPG
DSC_1296.JPG (68.73 KiB) Viewed 2314 times
DSC_1301.JPG
DSC_1301.JPG (59.28 KiB) Viewed 2314 times
DSC_1302.JPG
DSC_1302.JPG (51.92 KiB) Viewed 2314 times
Attachments
DSC_1300.JPG
DSC_1300.JPG (76.5 KiB) Viewed 2314 times
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

Steve84N

Fitting Grom USB3...

Post by Steve84N » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:02 am

In terms of the function the single biggest bonus for me is the sound quality over an AUX in as playing digitally it is much clearer and it actually sounds like stereo rather than mono sound again. Being able to change tracks on the move with the steering wheel buttons is the other main reason I decided to get a Grom as before I was using an old phone in the glovebox where I installed an AUX in.

Pros
- Good sound quality.
- Can change tracks with car controls.
- Can see some track information.
- Resumes from the same point on the USB stick when you restart the car.
- Has a random function.
- Supports 5 'CDs'.
- Using a USB stick means you aren't reliant on a portable device where the battery runs down (albeit I have a charging point)

Cons
- Doesn't display all the track information in the space available and it doesn't scroll. I've tried the full screen and it makes no difference. Depending on the format of the file it either just displays (part of) the track name or alternates between track, album and artist. It's not perfect but I know my music so it doesn't matter...
- It doesn't seem to want to start playing when you restart the car so you have to change tracks to get it going again.
- Only 5 switchable 'folders/CDs' so a lot of track scrolling potentially.

Interface
- Simply press button 6 to access the menu which allows you to switch between USB and AUX.
- The menu also allows you to select a disc but given that you can do that with the stereo buttons 1-5 it's pointless.
- The menu also allows you to see what's playing now but it shows no more info than the normal screen and doesn't update each time you change tracks so is again pointless.
- On the USB stick you create 5 folders that are the 'CDs' and everything else inside it whether placed as files or in subfolders is simply turned into one long list of tracks by the Grom. It will sort by number if you name them that way otherwise it plays by the date the file was last modified.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

Mangozac

Fitting Grom USB3...

Post by Mangozac » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:08 am

Thanks for the review! Can you still use the rest of the normal navigation system menus while music is playing? The Dension GW300 always switches back to displaying track I do after a couple of seconds, which is annoying.
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

Steve84N

Fitting Grom USB3...

Post by Steve84N » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:14 am

It doesn't switch back to anything. I still use the button that looks like a stereo to change between music info or computer/nav screens.

If you turn scan on then next track jumps 10 instead of 1.
Attachments
DSC_1305.JPG
DSC_1305.JPG (68.35 KiB) Viewed 2305 times
DSC_1304.JPG
DSC_1304.JPG (39.76 KiB) Viewed 2305 times
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

stupot67

Fitting Grom USB3...

Post by stupot67 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:37 am

Hi Steve,

From what you say in your review, the functionality is as per the OEM multi changer (Especially the track info if your using MP3 files), which is probably more down to the head unit than the Grom, the thing that I'm (Most of us I assume) is interested in is the sound quality, which looks to be good.

I think I'm going to take the plunge and go for it, with the addition of the AD2P bluetooth extension to allow for music streaming from Deezer/Spotify, when it's in I'll post a mini review of the streaming function only (No need to redo the good review you've already done on the USB function).

Stu.