Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Project 2006 Z4 - restoration (Enjoy!)

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:49 am

Steve84N wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:01 pm What were your problems before it was reset?

My steering is constantly pulling to one side despite changing all the suspension parts and swapping tyres etc.
Hi Steve.
Whereabouts are you in the country? Anywhere close to J29 M1?

Andy.

Steve84N

Post by Steve84N » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:36 pm

Unfortunately not, I'm in Gloucestershire.

I've tried seeing how to reset the sensor using INPA but it only has the option for the e46. The only other thing I've used is NCS but not sure if that can do it...?
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:04 pm

Clutch change then.......
Exhaust removal first. Here are rear box hanger bracket bolts. easy removal
Unbolted at the front (changing those nuts to brass worked wonders last year).
And out

Heat shields out, and propshaft out.. I had to temporarily remove the lower aluminium subframe bracket in this phototemporarily so I could get the prop out.

Clutch slave out (2 13 mm nuts) and wiring disconnected

Gear linkage next
Chrome rod first

Held on with these clips

Aluminium bracket off the gearbox next. 2 simple lever up and off clips

Tie wrapped it to the AC drain tube

Trans jack put under and trans lowered so I could get long extensions to the bolts

And gearbox out

First look at the clutch

and out

Not totally worn out, but old and tired (like me)

Dual mass flywheel in good shape, but its going anyway

Image44

The rear main oil seal is definitely leaking

BUT the oil pan is also leaking.....thats my next job then. :D

To be continued.......

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:27 pm

How to get the spigot (pilot) bearing out of the back of the crank?

Stuff soaking paper through the centre until its full and hammer a good fitting rod through the centre.

Repack and repeat 2 or 3 times till it comes out

This is what is left in the hole

Image4

Tap new bearing in with 24mm socket

I didn't photograph the rear main seal going in, but I knocked a screwdriver through it and levered it out. Being very careful not to touch the crankshaft.

New DMF on with aligning tool inserted

friction plate in position

Pressure plate bolted on and centre spiral looking thing turned anticlockwise to remove it. If anyone was wondering, the LUK self adjusting clutches come already compressed. So no need for the expensive kit.

Didn't get a photo of the final assembly. but heres a photo showing the spiral looking thing in the centre that needs to come out once the pressure plate is bolted to the flywheel

Clutch fork and release bearing installed inside a cleaned up bellhousing

And all reassembled.

Not too bad a job really. 6 hours in total, taking my time. Book time is 3 and a half!!

Test drive next.

Andy.

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:16 pm

One test drive later...........drives like a different car! So smooooth, no shuddering, juddering or stuttering! beautiful.
£436 of parts. Worth every penny. Was going to put it up for sale, but not sure now!! Driving time.

Andy.

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Grumpyowl » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:14 pm

The work you've done on it, it would be a shame not to get this summer out of it and sell next spring . :driving:

idej_z4

Post by idej_z4 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:51 pm

What an epic read this is! If I had put so much work into a car and got it running as well as yo u have there is no way I could sell it!

Keep it and get out and :driving:

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:15 pm

And here we go again.................and a little test for BMW this time.!!

May 6th 2016. Ordered a new white LED third brake light from BMW - DIRECT on ebay. £61

Fitted it on 24th May 2016

Beautiful.

Fast forward to today and guess what?????

Yep, broken in half. And before someone says it was fitted incorrectly, the nuts were only finger tightened and slightly more.

Now theres a 48 month warranty on parts from BMW, so I sent a message to BMW - DIRECT on ebay asking them what the procedure is.

Their reply:
Hello,

Thank you for your message.

We are truly sorry to hear this and we would like to sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused.

May we kindly ask you to provide us with images of the fault so we can proceed further with your query?

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Kind regards,
George
BMW Direct

So I took loads of photos and 2 videos and put them on youtube and put all the links on a word document and popped it on dropbox and sent them the link

Heres one of the photos

Their reply:
Hello,

Thank you for your message.

We have sent your request to the relevant department and we will get back to you the minute we have a response.

Thank you for understanding.

Kind regards,
George
BMW Direct

Short time later....
Hello,

Thank you for your kind patience.

We have just been advised that all our parts come with a 2 year warranty.

As it is a car part and has been fitted it needs to be dealt with fitted parts warranty, this can be done by any BMW retailer.

Can you please book in the car with a retailer then take the car with the lamp fitted and proof of purchase, the claim with be dealt with accordingly at the retailer?

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind regards,
George
BMW Direct

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:18 pm

Now its going to be REALLY difficult to refit it to the car now! Which should have been obvious if they had seen the photos. So, another message sent by me...

Do you honestly want me to refit it to the car??? Really??

Their response...

bmw_direct is out of the office until 17/09/2017 and may not be able to respond to your message.

Message from bmw_direct:
Hello,

Thank you very much for contacting us.
Unfortunately, our Customer Service Team will not be available to assist you with your query at this point in time. You can rest assured that we will endeavor to respond to all messages as soon as we can, upon our return on Monday.

Thank you for your patience!

Kind Regards,
Customer Service Team

The time was 4:43 pm.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:21 pm

Exactly the response I got. In the end I got them to send me another one but it was a bit of a fight.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:23 pm

AAAAAARRRGGGHHHHHHH :headbang:

So, phoned Stratstone BMW in Chesterfield and explained all.
They had never heard anything like it, and suggested I bring the car in on monday morning with the offending light and they will see what they can do.

The invoice shows the dealer as BMW Nine Elms, London.

To be continued......................

JINGLE

Post by JINGLE » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:24 pm

Hi Andy, I had the exact same thing happen. I purchased the clear 3rd brake light from my local BMW dealer and fitted it myself with the original WRONG springs just over finger tight. About 22 months after fitting it I noticed a crack in the corner. I quickly fitted the CORRECT springs (that I got off of a forum member, apologies I can't remember who) and emailed some photos, they advised the 24 months warranty so I was very close to missing it, and booked it in.

Bmw took the car, called me later and replaced free of charge..... the only small negative I had was they swapped out my clear for a red (although the red is the more expensive) but after a while I like the red again as it contrasts well with my white Z.

I would advise you to clearly state you want a clear replacement so the same doesn't happen, unless you are happy with red!

(Oh and in case you didn't know, you should have some newer lower tension springs.... not sure what BMW would say if you have the old springs fitted with a new light....?)

Look forward to more posts on this car :fuelfire: :driving:

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:33 pm

Blimey! That's not good, be interesting to hear what they have to say and any recommendations or whatever on how to prevent it reoccurring. Hope it goes well at Stratstone on Monday!
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:33 am

You do have to be careful with ordering the springs as REAL OEM is misleading.
It states that 63257151981 replaced 63256927125 in Jan 04 and that's all it says. So you would assume reading it that....981 are the replacement ones and the ones to order but you would be wrong. The SIB on this dates from Mar 06 and tells you to use 63256900698, a 40N rather than a 82N spring.
However just to muddy the waters even further ....698 is also listed for use on the E46 and E8X 1 series cab/coupe. However on the E8X it also lists yet another spring 63257211238 from Nov 07 onwards without the light unit itself changing. So why move to yet another spring unless it was causing issues?

Because of the above I'm on my third clear one in two and a bit years. I've currently got the ...698 spring listed on the SIB lightly finger tight. If this one cracks I think I will try the ...238 listed for the E8x. If it still cracks I think I will weld it up and paint the boot!
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:14 pm

Wow! Who would have thought the springs would cause so many problems!

I just fitted the ones that came with the light!!

Anyway, what happened with the trip to Stratstone BMW chesterfield?.....here we go.

Monday
Arrived at 10:51 in the Z4. First time out for weeks (the car, not me).
Took the third brake light in with me (in pieces) and was sent to waiting area.
Here's me with the light and the file with the receipt in it sat waiting....

10:54. Seen by parts chap. Explained all and he said he would have to talk to the manager.

10:59. Came back to say it would have to be booked in for diagnostics then another would be fitted free of charge if it was accepted as a non fitting fault! i said it wouldnt take much diagnosis, pointing at the light unit in front of me!!
He said wait there and he will arrange for someone to book me in for an hours diagnostic time. An HOUR!!!! To diagnose a broken light!!!

11:34. Dealership almost empty by now. No customers sat at the desks with the staff. Nobody waiting. Have I been forgotten?? So off I popped to reception to ask what was going on. She sent me to a service desk where i sat down straightaway to be told they had never heard of the third brake light cracking...Really!!!! Told him to google it in his lunch hour.
Only time they could do it was a week on wednesday but i would have to fit the light unit back to the car. Disgusted, but booked in and left. No apologies given for the wait

2pm. Got home and wrote BMW a n email to say how disgusted i was with totally forgetting me and the farce of an hours diagnostics to clarify a broken light unit. Bloody livid. Told them i wouldn't buy another BMW.....EVER.

Tuesday
had a call from BMW stratstone at about 4pm saying head office had been on at them. Aapologised for the delay when I was there and offered to fit a new light for me tomorrow. Which i accepted. He confirmed it was a clear lens. i said it was. Got to get the car to them at 8 am.
So yet another saga of car ownership.
Plan is to get the light fitted, polish up the paintwork and sell the car on to someone else who can enjoy it Although theres not much left to do!!
Had enough of the BMW z4 mood swings...shall I call them?? Their mechanical tantrums......Fickle is a good word.

Anyone want to buy a nice well looked after Z4??? With a new third brake light. And a warranty with the light, of course!!
If not, it will be banished to the back of my workshop where it can stay till next spring. Cowering under a cover.

Not even a teenager yet. But behaves like one. Lol!!

BMW's indeed. :headbang:

Andy.