Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Project 2006 Z4 - restoration (Enjoy!)

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:05 pm

brazenskies wrote:That wheel, nut and caliper combo is quite arousing :)
My thoughts exactly :D

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:07 pm

csquire4 wrote:The effort and attention to detail on every job is very impressive.

The wheels look a great job, I've recently had some done and before I refitted I put 2 costs of Poorboys wheel wax on them (inside and out) to try and preserve them. Never used this product before but after a week I gave them a quick blast with the jet wash and the grime came off without having to get the brush out.

I may try that. The car is at the back of my workshop now awaiting spring!! Although I may sneak it out once or twice! plenty of time for the wax treatment.

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:16 pm

mr.tourette wrote:great thread, top quality restoration andy...nothing finer than seeing a freshly painted set of mv2s tho :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :D
Thank you :) Enjoying doing it as well. Unfortunately only a few more jobs to do, then it will be finished, then I'll be bored, then I'll sell it and start another car rescue project!

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:18 pm

JUST ALLOYS made a fantastic job of the wheels. Brian (the owner) itook loads of photos of the process and is going to send them to me shortly. I will then upload them here.

They were acid dipped first, then washed off, then media blasted, then powder coated. They look (and feel) amazing!

Andy
Last edited by andyfanshawe on Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:26 pm

Now,...foglights........

Lens persuaded off with heat, swearing and leverage.
Here's a look inside the lens

And inside the alloy part

and outside

The 2 screws that are left holding the black plastic adjuster part on are stuck solid. And I'm not going to shear them off, so there they will stay.

The chap in the next door unit to mine has a wet media blasting machine, so I will get them blasted. I will then attempt to polish the internals to a mirror finish, then lacquer. polish the lens and stick it all back together, then repeat it all again about every 6 weeks :lol:

Andy.
Last edited by andyfanshawe on Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:38 pm

Oh, before anybody notices, I've ordered these stickers to put back on my wheels

Andy.
Last edited by andyfanshawe on Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:07 am

Wheels look great andy
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:10 am

markplant wrote:Wheels look great andy
They do, just need the centre caps positioned correctly :wink:

sw4nny

Post by sw4nny » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:17 am

andyfanshawe wrote:
mr.tourette wrote:great thread, top quality restoration andy...nothing finer than seeing a freshly painted set of mv2s tho :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :D
Thank you :) Enjoying doing it as well. Unfortunately only a few more jobs to do, then it will be finished, then I'll be bored, then I'll sell it and start another car rescue project!
Brill work as usual Andy.
Could you make your new project a battered old Zm roadster that you get really cheap then do your magic and sell it to me for a few extra pounds :thumbsup:
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:40 pm

srhutch wrote:
markplant wrote:Wheels look great andy
They do, just need the centre caps positioned correctly :wink:

:-P

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:42 pm

Here's a nice comparison shot

Before
Image4

After (same wheel)

Andy.
Last edited by andyfanshawe on Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:44 pm

Wow
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

MarcBMWZ4

Post by MarcBMWZ4 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:55 pm

andyfanshawe wrote:
What do you reckon will be your asking price for the car? Im interested in how lucrative this restoration business is... :P

jampudding

Post by jampudding » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:06 pm

[/quote]

What do you reckon will be your asking price for the car? Im interested in how lucrative this restoration business is... :P[/quote]

I'm interested in buying it!!
Z4 3.0i Auto Black Sapphire - Dream Red Oregon - Wind Deflector/Isofix/Seat Heating/Xenon/TV/BT/Prof Carver/Elec Fold Ext Mirrors/Grad Tint WindScreen/Auto Dim Int & Ext/ Storage Comp Pack/PDC/CC/Nav Sys Prof/6 CD Changer/DDC/Chrome Line Int etc etc

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:26 pm

MarcBMWZ4 wrote:
andyfanshawe wrote:
What do you reckon will be your asking price for the car? Im interested in how lucrative this restoration business is... :P
Interestingly, I didn't buy this to make a profit. It was my car, so no financial constraints. Didn't relly plan to sell this for ages, but I have 2 other personal projects I need to finish for next summer. Both full custom, no holes barred V8 muscle.

The price? No idea yet. Still got paintwork to do, roof motor relocation,...and other minor things no doubt. Still want to change the clutch for the sake of it :) :) One thing is certain, needs to go to an enthusiast (on this forum hopefully) but not expecting to make a profit.

Andy.