Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Electric Folding Mirrors

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
alexhall

Electric Folding Mirrors

Post by alexhall » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:31 pm

Hi Guys,

New to the forum.

About to attempt the Elec folding mirror retrofit.

I have looked at my car already. There is a cable and connector hanging around loose behind the glove box which is to connect to the folding mirror module. I have ordered this module and the door switch with the button to fold the mirrors in, as well as some second hand mirrors off a z4m (complete with auto dimming)

When i looked at the looms going to the mirrors in the doors, i noticed all but one of the pins in the connectors is wired, surely this would mean, they are pre-wired for elec folding mirrors, especially with the fact that the fuse is present also..

All i understand that you need is:

Door Mirror swtich
2 x Elec folding mirrors
folding mirror module

If anyone has anymore info on this, advice would be greatly appreciated. I have seen Ron Stygars poist on this and seen some of the pictures. It looks like he didnt even have the loom hanging down for the module, as he had to put all the wiring in,- i'm assuming its because its a US spec car and they dont pre-wire those?

Anyway, any further info would be appreciated. I am just waiting on the mirror swtich before i start everything, so about another week and I can post info up on here...

Alex
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
03 Z4 3.0 Met Grey/18" Alloys/Z4M Sport Steering Wheel/Z4M Sport Seats/Sat Nav/Bluetooth/Xenons/Carver DSP/TV/Auto Lights/Folding Mirrors

V-Man

Re: Electric Folding Mirrors

Post by V-Man » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:43 pm

May be a stupid question i know (lol) but for the standard mirrors (non electric) do they simply just fold inwards? I know the electric ones kinda fold in and upwards...i tried to force mine a little in but they didnt budge. I probably need to apply proper force but I didnt wanna damage them in case I was forcing them the wrong way!? :D

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:10 pm

Hi Alex - welcome. Nice mod and one I'd do if and when I came by a set of motorised units. I think you have it all in module, switch and mirrors. I read up on it sometime ago and believed all the loom was there and ready as BMW are lazy

My only comment would be as a reminder that if you break apart the door connector to retrofit any extra pins then don't turn ont he ignition else you'll have an airbag activation warning and need a £40 trip to the dealer to reset it.

V-man All mirrors fold. Look at the crease line. The action os more one of revolving the mirror up and in than folding. Some force needed first time.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

z200

Post by z200 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:37 pm

some pics will be great for the whole mod , and some parts numbers for aall the parts that we will need in order to do the same mod we qwaiting your upgrade

alexhall

Post by alexhall » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:32 pm

Yes, as soon as I have the swtich I will get on it and will try and get some pics where poss. Will also post up the part numbers etc.

Also, just for reference, I have found the best place to get a set of Elec folding mirrors is Ebay.de seeing as BMW's are german, I guess that makes germany the best place to get spares! I have been hunting for months on ebay.co.uk/.com for folding mirrors and in loads of scrap years, but with no joy. One trip in ebay.de and I found a pair straight away. postage was only 15 Euros too!

I also know a guy up in London who can program loads of stuff on out cars, including remote operation of the soft top and remote op of folding the mirrors in and out, going up there next week, so will take some vids of that in action..
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
03 Z4 3.0 Met Grey/18" Alloys/Z4M Sport Steering Wheel/Z4M Sport Seats/Sat Nav/Bluetooth/Xenons/Carver DSP/TV/Auto Lights/Folding Mirrors

z200

Post by z200 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:30 am

cool we will wait... PLZ upload the whole story on how you did it parts numbers pics of the instalations and some vids will be great as it will help us to understand how to do it thanks allot we will wait..............

Broaders

Post by Broaders » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:35 am

Ditto the post above. As many pics and as much detail as possible would be good to show any others thinking of doing it the way forward! You could even post it in the 'how to' section! :thumbsup:
Z4 - gone but not forgotten!
M3 - Currently putting a wide smile on my face!

z200

Post by z200 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:45 pm

at the end yes +1000

alex85

Post by alex85 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:04 pm

I honestly dont think folding mirrors are worth the effort or expense. I have them as they came on the car, but i dont think i would spec or retrofit them.
Z4 has gone for now. Was made an offer I couldn't refuse, a straight swap with a car worth £2k more. Give it 12 months and that 3.5iS I have hankered after will be mine. For now, 45mpg will do me just right.

alexhall

Post by alexhall » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:28 pm

Ok,

So I now have the mirrors fitted to the car. BMW have told me the door switch and module will be in tomorrow morning, so I am just waiting for that before I can test the folding.

One thing I can tell you though, is that the drivers side is NOT pre-wired for folding and dimming. I have just spent a few hours adding these wires on the door side, which is actually pretty easy. I have made a note of the various pin numbers etc for anyone that wants to do this mod themselves.
Auto dimming now works on both sides of the car. I thought it rather odd that BMW should pre wire the passenger side for both folding and dimming but not the drivers side..

The only thing i have noticed, at the moment, the mirrors arent in the right position for viewing, as they dont look as if they are folded to the normal open position when i compare them to the old ones, but obviously cant fold/unfold them yet as i dont have module fitted. Im wondering if i might have to change the bases, due to the fact that the motrised ones are off a german car?
If this is so, does anyone have any experience in changing the bases at all?

Obviously pics and youtube vids will follow.

Also, just to add, this retrofit has cost me in total £430 for everything. When you consider I have also got elec mirrors with auto dimming thats not too bad in terms of cost considering all of that would cost in exess of £1500 from dealer...

alexhall

Post by alexhall » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:39 pm

Ok guys,

So fitted the module and switch to the car and yes! everything works as it should! So, basically this mod is relatively easy, but you just need to add the wires on the drivers door, which is pretty easy!

Got nowhere to upload any pics at the moment, so if anyone wants any pics, i will gladly email, along with installation guides.

Just waiting for the module now so I can fold the mirrors in with the remote : P

I am assuming the Mirror module does not need coding to the car, as one would think it wouldn't work otherwise...

z200

Post by z200 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:51 am

alexhall wrote:Ok guys,

So fitted the module and switch to the car and yes! everything works as it should! So, basically this mod is relatively easy, but you just need to add the wires on the drivers door, which is pretty easy!

Got nowhere to upload any pics at the moment, so if anyone wants any pics, i will gladly email, along with installation guides.

Just waiting for the module now so I can fold the mirrors in with the remote : P

I am assuming the Mirror module does not need coding to the car, as one would think it wouldn't work otherwise...

i want to send me the whole story, plz at [email protected] thanks mate

rob davey

Post by rob davey » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:30 pm

alex85 wrote:I honestly dont think folding mirrors are worth the effort or expense. I have them as they came on the car, but i dont think i would spec or retrofit them.
I guess it depends if you have to park on a narrow street where people drive like idoits or not
BMW Z4 2.0i SE Roadster (2006 / 06) Facelift, titanium silver, black 108s, stubbie, sports wheel & gear knob, leather seats & bum warmers, drivers side FAB, cup holders and aux input

Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Andy » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:52 pm

id love em for one reason. they look fooking sweet when u look the car :)
Imola Z4MR #0026 6 yrs, & 66k so far..

*AL*

Post by *AL* » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:18 pm

I like mine because when i put mine in the garage (folded) it's easier to walk between the car and the wall.
2009 (59) Z4 E89 3.0i Sdrive in deep sea blue, white extended leather, I-drive, folding mirrors. Suzuki GSX 1300R Hayabusa