Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What have you done today?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
JAD

What have you done today?

Post by JAD » Tue May 26, 2015 10:43 am

Not sure if this has been done before on this forum - works quite well on other forums either to show off your handywork, remind people of "to do" items or gives people ideas for mods/maintenance with links to how to guides, parts etc... Admin, if it has been done, :tumbleweed:

So this weekend I embarked on finding out why one of my headlight washer jets is slightly delayed and why the covering top does not sit flush on the bumper... I knew that the car had had a front end respray just before I picked it up, as the Indie is like that - proud of the vehicles he displays on his "forecourt".

I've pulled up the cover a few times before, so this time decided to remove it to see if it was purely just not sat/clipped in correctly. No joy! Having read a few guides/videos, I decided to remove the passenger side of the front bumper. After having to pull out/cut the heads off a few difficult pop rivets that had been refitted badly, it soon became clear that the washer cylinder had also been fitted back incorrectly, so was closer to horizontal than vertical - thus hitting the bumper exit (causing the delay) and of course the "hat" didn't then sit flush. Removed, re-positioned and voila! No delay and flush against the bumper. You can see the parts that stick out and slot into place on this photo (the one on my car was too dark to photograph) - the struts were in place at the top, but over the top at the bottom of the cyclinder, hence it wasn't sitting correctly;

Also noted the top bumper clip that joins the wing was broken in two out of three places, so have also ordered that up with some new pop rivets to make it 100%! You can see the difference between mine with half a clip and the stock image below...

Part numbers;

rivets - 51717007296

clip (LH side) - 51117165179

stevo///m3

Re: What have you done today?

Post by stevo///m3 » Tue May 26, 2015 12:19 pm

[quote="JAD"]

gratuitous ///M shot there...!
Stevo
SOLD - '07 MCoupe-Sapphire Metallic-Imola leather-piano black
Previous: E36 Evo Vert
Current: ocean-going G31 estate
Insta: stevothecrab

adam1985

Post by adam1985 » Tue May 26, 2015 12:51 pm

Not quite today but on Saturday I fitted the Bilstein B12 kit along with new rear topmounts and powerflex lollipop bushes.

Just about fits in the boot

Ride height before side view

Ride height before Rear
Front

Trying to get to rear topmounts

Rear Before
Rear After
Front Before
Front After

Ride height after Rear
Ride height after Front

And a few more after shots

No pics of the bush replacement as it took so long that I just wanted to get them installed!
Only issue we had installing the kit was tightening the nuts at the top of each of the struts as the whole shaft just spins!

So far very happy with the ride, no harder than stock but much better damped and turn in seems more immediate with less play in the wheel at top dead centre.
Booked in for a 4 wheel hunter alignment on monday when everythin settles down a bit.
57 BMW 3.0si sport Coupe, Carbon Black, Bilstein B12 Suspension, CSL reps & style 339s for winter - Current
10 Skoda Fabia mk2 vRS, Rallye Green, Black Roof, Black Gigaro Alloys - Gone
08 Fiat Grande Punto Dynamic Sport, Red, Dual Sunroof - Gone

Stratts

Post by Stratts » Tue May 26, 2015 7:23 pm

Refurbed the seats with the Scuffmaster kit. Fantastic piece of kit, seats look good as new, the shine is all gone and they smell great.

A few weeks ago I had this small hole repaired for a very reasonable £70:

Firstly, seats out to find a load of mess, but gained £1.73

All done...

And a close up shot

Not the best pics unfortunately but you get the idea. The Scuffmaster kit cost me £30 and is a perfect match to the original leather.

While I was in the mood, the Z also got an oil service. 6 litres of fresh 5w40, exactly 5 months since the last service, during which time I'd covered 2,500 miles.

Mileage now 93,980.
2004 Z4 3.0i Auto
Sapphire Black / Red M Sport Leather / Eibachs / 108s / Poly Bushes / Vanos upgrade / Stubby

Amateur BMW Guru. If I don't know how to fix it, it's because I haven't broken it yet.
Diagnostics and coding services available.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Tue May 26, 2015 7:33 pm

That's a top job done Stratts , , really imressive & can only make you smile whenever you get in now :thumbsup:

I fitted 2 pre hung front doorsets by 1pm before emptying my van to take 2 sets of alloys for refurb ( + 1 single for DomsZ4 after he kerbed one of his :roll: ) & collected a fresh set of 108s which i then bolted back together before getting the Z out & driving 25mins to see my parents :driving: happy days :)
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

alane29

Post by alane29 » Tue May 26, 2015 7:47 pm

I didn't do anything except drive the z from county Wicklow in ireland via the ferry to london 360miles of fun
2007 E86 M Coupe
2005 E85 2.5SE

kayjay0_7

Post by kayjay0_7 » Tue May 26, 2015 7:54 pm

adam1985 wrote:Not quite today but on Saturday I fitted the Bilstein B12 kit along with new rear topmounts and powerflex lollipop bushes.

Rear Before
Rear After

No pics of the bush replacement as it took so long that I just wanted to get them installed!
Only issue we had installing the kit was tightening the nuts at the top of each of the struts as the whole shaft just spins!

So far very happy with the ride, no harder than stock but much better damped and turn in seems more immediate with less play in the wheel at top dead centre.
Booked in for a 4 wheel hunter alignment on monday when everythin settles down a bit.
Did you fit bump stops and dust covers to the rear shocks , they appear to be missing

JonnyB

Post by JonnyB » Tue May 26, 2015 9:17 pm

Stratts wrote:Refurbed the seats with the Scuffmaster kit. Fantastic piece of kit, seats look good as new, the shine is all gone and they smell great.

A few weeks ago I had this small hole repaired for a very reasonable £70:

Firstly, seats out to find a load of mess, but gained £1.73

All done...

And a close up shot

Not the best pics unfortunately but you get the idea. The Scuffmaster kit cost me £30 and is a perfect match to the original leather.

While I was in the mood, the Z also got an oil service. 6 litres of fresh 5w40, exactly 5 months since the last service, during which time I'd covered 2,500 miles.

Mileage now 93,980.
Do you have a link to the kit you bought? Would like one for myself :thumbsup:

P.s. Good job!
3.0si coupe. Loads of factory extras. Improvements: ZHP, cdv delete, matt black grill, stubby, eibach suspension, 19" CSLs wrapped in eagle f1s and MM exhaust tips - sadly gone

adam1985

Post by adam1985 » Tue May 26, 2015 10:10 pm

kayjay0_7 wrote:Did you fit bump stops and dust covers to the rear shocks , they appear to be missing
Hey the rear shocks didnot come with bump stops or dust ccovers and since the fronts did come with them I assumed that you didn't need them. After dong a bit more research it looks like you need to reuse the old ones which seems a bit strange them not providing new ones.

Looks like they will have to come off again!
57 BMW 3.0si sport Coupe, Carbon Black, Bilstein B12 Suspension, CSL reps & style 339s for winter - Current
10 Skoda Fabia mk2 vRS, Rallye Green, Black Roof, Black Gigaro Alloys - Gone
08 Fiat Grande Punto Dynamic Sport, Red, Dual Sunroof - Gone

JINGLE

Post by JINGLE » Wed May 27, 2015 11:45 am

JonnyB wrote:

P.s. Good job!

+1 :thumbsup:

Stratts

Post by Stratts » Wed May 27, 2015 12:46 pm

JonnyB wrote:

P.s. Good job!
Thanks, very worthwhile just to get the seats back to the proper matt appearance, take away the greasy feel, and most importantly get the proper leather smell back.

http://www.liquidleather.com/car-shop.html

You need to tell them the colour of the leather - there's a list on the site somewhere you use for this. Mine is Dream Red and most of the BMW colours will be available of the shelf. I bought the 250ml Scuffmaster kit with the brush, conditioner and cleaner.
2004 Z4 3.0i Auto
Sapphire Black / Red M Sport Leather / Eibachs / 108s / Poly Bushes / Vanos upgrade / Stubby

Amateur BMW Guru. If I don't know how to fix it, it's because I haven't broken it yet.
Diagnostics and coding services available.

sunnchipie

Post by sunnchipie » Wed May 27, 2015 7:44 pm

Fitted the i6 disa upgrade kit today.
I paid 50 quid, ordered at approx 1400 yesterday and it had arrived by the time I got home today, 1300. Impressed with that, thought i'd be waiting afew days.

andy.c

Post by andy.c » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:08 pm

I cleaned my engine bay this afternoon used ACF50 gave it a spray and a wipe over
Before

After

JAD

Post by JAD » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:02 pm

andy.c wrote:I cleaned my engine bay this afternoon used ACF50 gave it a spray and a wipe over
Before

After
Looks great!

thepits

Post by thepits » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:24 pm

What did I do today? Not a lot ...

except take the Z4 for a drive with her hood down. :driving: 8)

Isn't that what it's all about?

Cats know your every thought.
But don't care.