Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Water into the boot again - ideas please

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Gerry

Re: Water into the boot again - ideas please

Post by Gerry » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:23 pm

Max, It may be worthwhile getting a cheap carcover until you resolve the water problemm , maybe cost around £15 .
2.5 Maldives Blue, tottaly original , no mods,

Max

Post by Max » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:29 pm

hi all update on progress.

Managed to get the carpet and sound deadening out this morning, not any easy job, need to take out the parcel shelf and the raising mechanism on the driver side. The sound deadening was soaking. Carpet and deadening drying off now, while I try to find the leak.

The water is definitely coming from the top of the car. the water is dripping onto the top of the wheelarch. I thought I had found it coming in from the seam of the wheelarch but a red herring.

I think the water is coming in and running along the inside of the top of the wing. Where I do not know! It then drips onto the wheelarch and runs into the well behind the arch. Although I have removed the parcel shelf and support, carpets etc I still cant see where the water is coming in, I am now assuming it is somehow getting in near somewhere behind the door,.

Any thoughts or previous experience.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:40 pm

Have you checked the roof fabric and seals ?
2.5 Maldives Blue, tottaly original , no mods,

Max

Post by Max » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:41 pm

It just gets worse!!!

I thought is check the seals as suggested, BUT NOW THE ROOF WON@T MOVE!!!!!!!. check the fuses they aree ok. It was working last week, no problems

Max

Post by Max » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:18 pm

The roof is OK. Any thread identified the microswitch that is operated by the shelf. As the shelf is out, the roof would not work.

Still got the leak though!. It is getting in somewhere and running along the inside of the top of the wing? Then dripping onto the front of the wheelarch

Max

Re: Water in the boot again - next / what steps

Post by Max » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:21 pm

Hi all, Heavy rain last night..................... no water in the boot this morning!! What I have done to fix it...........if resolved. No idea. I played with the softtop and seal behind the drivers door. Maybe ill try some silcone grease on the seal, just in case. The water did appear to be getting in from behind the boot lid, so soft top area. I have no idea how the top is attached to the wing and as such how water could get into the wing itself.

brickya

Post by brickya » Wed May 20, 2015 10:45 am

Hi, I had a similar issue where water was welling up on either side of the boot. The fix was fairly easy for me. During a downpour I opened my boot and saw water dripping from near the rear lights. I took off the lights cleaned out surrounding area of muck applied a little silicone to where the screws hold down the plastic trim on the surround and job done! No issues since.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:59 pm

You say no problems when washing the car so I assume also no problems when parked outside?? If it happens only when DRIVING in the rain then I wonder if it could be the rear suspension top mounts? Any kind of gap here might let water spray in to the boot area from the rear wheels and would soak the noise deadening foam at the top of the arch.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Dale_B

Post by Dale_B » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:57 pm

I have previously experienced water in the battery compartment a number of years ago.... It turned out to be both ‘vents’ at the rear (as per picture below)....
These are inline with the water drainage routes from normal rain fall.

Part number: 64226909340

Rich8

Post by Rich8 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:47 pm

Was also going to suggest the vents that Dale has highlighted. Have been known to cause leaks into the side wells of the boot and always takes people a while to find it.
That sponge insulation sucks up the water like....errr....a sponge. One corner of it in water and before long the whole things sodden so makes it hard to pinpoint the leak from what is damp unfortunately.
The inside of the vent comes out just below the rear of the light clusters - you have to remove carpet and trim to see it.

olsonn

Post by olsonn » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:59 pm

I did all the new light cluster seal and silicon spray on the seal, finally ended up using sealant on seals within the boot on top of where the lights are situated, actually inside the boot and have never had another problem, if this doesn't make sense I will take some pics tomorrow

Dale_B

Post by Dale_B » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:54 pm

Rich8 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:47 pm Was also going to suggest the vents that Dale has highlighted. Have been known to cause leaks into the side wells of the boot and always takes people a while to find it.
That sponge insulation sucks up the water like....errr....a sponge. One corner of it in water and before long the whole things sodden so makes it hard to pinpoint the leak from what is damp unfortunately.
The inside of the vent comes out just below the rear of the light clusters - you have to remove carpet and trim to see it.
Exactly this :thumbsup:

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:00 am

But what is going wrong to allow water in through those vents? Obviously not all cars have this problem.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

z4pilot

Post by z4pilot » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:34 pm

ph001 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:00 am But what is going wrong to allow water in through those vents? Obviously not all cars have this problem.
They have a foam rubber seal that seems to degrade over time. One owner reported that his had been installed upside down - presumably at the factory, causing the ventilation flaps to allow water past.
Now Gone - 2008 Coupe, Montego Blue, Champagne leather and Piano Black interior, Eibachs & Koni Sport shocks, Style 230 19s, Eisenmann Quad - approaching perfection...